Author Topic: Disturbing Operations Call?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
Disturbing Operations Call?
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:16:56 pm »
Every morning, we have what we call the Operations Call, which we discuss our critical systems and what we can do to maintain uptime. This morning it was brought up that I have Google Analytics installed on one of our main web pages, just to see what offices a majority of the traffic is coming from.

Someone on an Application Administration team calls me out on me having Google Analytics installed on my page, and demands to know what ports on the firewall it opens (lol). It ended up that at the end of the argument we were going back and forth about open source programs. The app. admin claims that open source is evil then proceeds to link me to a wiki page. That is when I realized that whatever I say he is going to try to make himself feel better that he knows "more". So I shutup and ended the call in laughter with my team.

But besides this, for those of you who work in the industry, how are your critical systems setup? I can only tell you little about ours but we indeed have mirrored drives and 2 different backbone connections coming in. Any suggestions into making a machine more of a 24/7 system? What kind of hardware do you have setup? How big of a backbone do you have and how many are incoming? And on top of that, is there anything else I can use to monitor traffic with ease rather than google analytics? Since this is an intranet application, I like to make sure that people that are outside are using our VPN to connect or else we have a major breach :(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:20:36 pm by Lead »

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
Re: Disturbing Operations Call?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:01:01 pm »
I work in the wireless industry (CDMA). There's only one thing you need to know: failover. For the a load that could be handled by one system, we put in ten. That way, even if there's a cascade failure (which are on the "unacceptable" list), there's still a 99% chance that calls will be able to go through.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:34:04 pm »
I work in the wireless industry (CDMA). There's only one thing you need to know: failover. For the a load that could be handled by one system, we put in ten. That way, even if there's a cascade failure (which are on the "unacceptable" list), there's still a 99% chance that calls will be able to go through.
Which carrier is this?  I'd like to use this as evidence next time I need to complain about the ridiculous rates.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:47:43 pm »

Which carrier is this?  I'd like to use this as evidence next time I need to complain about the ridiculous rates.

And I'd like to laugh, and explain to my mom why she shouldn't complain. It makes complete sense to me.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:24:19 am »
I'm not sure which information is public knowledge, so I can't disclose things like in which areas our products are deployed, but I can tell you that all of the major CDMA carriers in the USA (Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile) use our products somewhere.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!