Author Topic: Time Traveling? Hoax indeed but read...  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
Time Traveling? Hoax indeed but read...
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:29:42 pm »
http://www.timetravelinstitute.com/ttiforum/ubbthreads.php

Many of you may have stumbled across this website in the past but I had to post it. There are stories from people who claim that they have "traveled thru time" and have intricate stories via their forum posts. It's worth a read if you want to kill some time at work or are bored at home.

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline abc

• View Profile
Re: Time Traveling? Hoax indeed but read...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:53:11 pm »

Many of you may have stumbled across this website in the past but I had to post it. There are stories from people who claim that they have "traveled thru time" and have intricate stories via their forum posts. It's worth a read if you want to kill some time at work or are bored at home.

Cool find!

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:18:21 pm »

Cool find!

It definitely is. The people who pose to be time travelers actually post their "blueprint" of time machines on there also. I hope one day to try and debunk their plans but hell maybe one is actually telling the truth and I'll have a working time machine. First order of business if that happens: Go back in time 100 or so years and deposit $500 into a savings account for myself :p Then come back to riches ... FTW!

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:21:41 pm »

Cool find!

It definitely is. The people who pose to be time travelers actually post their "blueprint" of time machines on there also. I hope one day to try and debunk their plans but hell maybe one is actually telling the truth and I'll have a working time machine. First order of business if that happens: Go back in time 100 or so years and deposit $500 into a savings account for myself :p Then come back to riches ... FTW!

lol

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 03:31:46 pm »

Cool find!

Here's an even better idea!  Trade $500 USD for CAD.  It'll be worth a lot more now.  :D
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 03:54:19 pm »
Here's an even better idea!  Trade $500 USD for CAD.  It'll be worth a lot more now.  :D
Or Yen right after WW2! :D
errr... something like that...

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »
If only I could find my blueprints for the Flux Capacitor

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 04:43:12 pm »
It's even funnier if you know what flux (no, not the liquid stuff; the physical property) is and what capacitors do.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:19:25 am »
It's even funnier if you know what flux (no, not the liquid stuff; the physical property) is and what capacitors do.

No but google can.

http://www.satcure-focus.com/tutor/page6.htm

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aflux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 12:15:09 pm »
ROFL, floating ball valve? Wow, way to make a toilet analogy, random website.

Also, that's a pretty bad and inaccurate way of explaining what a capacitor is. Think of it like a battery, except it generally stores (far) less energy, and its voltage is proportional (by a factor of its capacitance) to the amount of charge it's holding. Capacitors are almost always used in conjunction with a resistor, and almost always to either create a timer (which is pretty cool if you're a math geek), or to to stabilize a voltage (they can soak up noise, at the cost of latency).

Flux is actually defined (and only useful as) the second derivative of the magnetic field vector. You could say that flux is to acceleration as a magnetic field is to position. As it happens, none of those definitions define flux in this way. It's not sufficient to define it as "the amount of stuff coming in or going out of some place," since flux is something you would never quantify conceptually. The classic example of why this is the case is a transformer; there are several very simple ideas that you need to understand before you can work up to the full thing:

1) When there is current flowing through a wire, there's a magnetic field "spinning" (that is, potential energy lines are cylindrical) around the wire.
2) If you wrap the wire in to a coil, the magnetic field will point in one direction out of the coil.
3) If you run AC through the coil, there's flux proportional to the amplitude* of the AC
4) If you "spin" a magnetic field around a wire, the charged particles in that wire become excited, and move (which is the reverse of #1)

OK, now take two coils and link them together. Run AC through one coil, and you'll get AC out the other. Make sense? Good.

If you're following so far, you should be able to answer this question:
Why can't you transform DC current?

[spoiler] There's no flux in the magnetic field within the coil [/spoiler]

Now that you know what flux is, and why capacitors don't have any, you may laugh.

[edit] * By amplitude, I mean the RMS voltage
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:18:23 pm by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 12:29:59 pm »
Also worth noting: you shouldn't suddenly disconnect the transformer. When you coil up a wire and run current through it, the magnetic field that you generate will try to keep current flowing through the coil, even if you completely disconnect any load from the coil. If there's no load when this happens, the voltage will rise until it's high enough to arc through whatever medium is separating the terminals (air, oil, etc). It's pretty catastrophic.

This phenomenon is called inductance (L). Inductors do to current what capacitors do to voltage, except that capacitors can safely hold their charge with no load attached.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 12:05:49 am »
Hm, they have an Offtopic forum.

Perhaps Trolls & Co. could extend its territory.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 12:09:11 am »
I think you mean "annex".