Author Topic: Big Words  (Read 4520 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Big Words
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 03:31:20 pm »
Yeah, for sure.  I've gotta say doing it through the university is noticeably more convenient, but not $500 more convenient.  There, it's simply a matter of logging in and clicking a button.  Running around the internet is a slight hassle.
Well, your university might be more convenient, here it's still a pain in the ass. Go to the bookstore's website. Go through a few menus, find class, get book. At that time, I've got the ISBN, so I see no reason to click the purchase button. That, or I could go to the bookstore and find the engineering section, my classes, and pick them up there. Wyoming seems to be way behind the times on things like this.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:18 pm »
Ah.  Well, makes the efforts of buying them online even more worthwhile. :)

Here, you log in with your student username/password and they pull your schedule from the university system, find which books the professors are using and compile them all for you.  Then, they put all of the books in a box with your name on it and you go in and pick it up.  They charge your student account for what they call added convenience, but I'm sure it's just so you have less of a chance of  knowing how much you're getting ripped off. :)

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 04:25:43 pm »
thanks for this sidoh, I saved over $100 ordering them online instead of getting them in the bookstore like I had planned.

that site has some problems. Sometimes the price they advertised wasn't the price I was able to buy it for, sometimes the site the linked too couldn't find the book. I got screwed because one book was available for $35 and then I went to buy it and it was gone or something so I had to pay like $70.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 05:19:43 pm »
I got by with eBooks for most of my classes. :)
I *hate* reading ebooks.

Yeah, me too.  Seems to be way more inconvenient.  I don't mind them for quick references, but I'd hate to not have a hard copy of the book.

Well, in most of my classes I only used them for quick reference.. :)

The nice thing about comp sci is that everything you need to know is online and free. The textbooks are only really useful for the questions/exercises/quick reference. At least in my experience.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 12:34:36 pm »
yeah, I saved $120.
Ain't Life Grand?