Author Topic: Warhammer Online!  (Read 13298 times)

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
Warhammer Online!
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:28:04 pm »
First Question: Is anyone from x86 planning on playing it?

I've been following the progress on the game for a while, and sadly never got into CB; however, with my pre-ordered copy I got into preview weekend, and it was an absolute blast. The PvP/RvR system was amazing, and while a LOT of the mechanics were the same as WoW, the added Public Quests were a  nice change from usual grinding, and the sheer amount of PvP quests made leveling through killing people a breeze.

I had to share one computer for the two days of playtime, but I ended up getting a Witch Elf, Black Orc, and Shaman all up to level 10, and my boyfriend got a Sorceress and a Magus to 10. There was an obvious problem with the Magus class, but the others we got to try were an absolute blast. I wasn't too pleased with the Witch Elf's main mechanic being almost exactly like the rogue mechanic from WoW, but there was enough differences that I didn't mind too much.

Once Open Beta hits I'm planning on jumping into a Disciple of Khaine to try that out a little, and probably a Chosen. I might even touch Order if I feel like it. Everything's so entertaining, and they offer you SO much to do right from level one, that it actually might be an ISSUE of time management. In WoW, you follow a set path, do this, this, than this, then this. WAR offers a lot more options... Which, in a way, might actually be a major flaw in some cases. But, it means I'll never be bored.

Oh, and the Tome of Knowledge is awesome too.

Anyone else got a taste of this awesomeness yet?
(I understand a lot of you probably won't try it, and probably will say it'll just crash and burn, but I actually think it's EXTREMELY promising. WoW will always be the top of the market as a PvE game... But WAR looks like it might just beat it in terms of PvP.)

Hooray for spam!

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Re: Warhammer Online!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:09:04 pm »
ive been following warhammer online for the past year and a half or so. ive pre-ordered the collectors edition, too. i'm looking forward to it.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:09:31 pm »
No.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:00:26 am »
No.

Agreed.  They confirmed a cutback on content.  The only MMO that I'm looking forward to is kotar online.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:30:18 am »
No.

Agreed.  They confirmed a cutback on content.  The only MMO that I'm looking forward to is kotar online.

While taking out the 4 classes is a bit noticeable, as, in playing the Dark Elf and Greenskin areas you could really notice there being something missing, in the end it was a better decision rather than putting in classes that weren't as polished as the others. It could be their fault for announcing everything early on, but in the end, very few people ever played them, so it's nothing to miss. There's still 10 classes on each side... Far too many in most MMO's standards.

The cities, I'm glad they took out. I don't think anyone really understands how HUGE the cities will be... Separating attention between 6, meaning separated effort on city raids (because I know people are stupid enough to do that) is just asking for failure.

In any case, they've hinted a lot that they're planning on adding the content in at some point. It isn't missing content that will hurt things in the short term, and maybe not even in the long run. I think it's a hell of a lot better that they owned up to why they had to remove the content rather than putting in things that were broken hoping people would accept until they could be fixed.

That's how the entirety of Age of Conan feels, and I won't even get started into how much I hate that game.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:54 am »
I'm playing War atm, so far it's extremely fun. A lot better then the job Failcom did with AoC. I'm level 8 right now with 8 hours played. There really is no grind in this game at all. you get exp for EVERYTHING you do. Find a new area? 500xp. Talk to a new person? 200xp. Kill another player? Depending on their level any amount of exp.

The graphics are the equivilant to AoC without the lag factor. I don't want to go and say it's better than WoW, because it's not. But it's a very fun game, and if they keep up with how well they're doing in just beta, it'll surpass WoW in a few months.

Offline Lead

• Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 12:50:06 pm »
I just picked up the Pre-Order today. Got some crappy deck of UFS cards which I gave to a co worker and my Beta key.... on top of that I have the Live Game Head Start key o_O

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 04:36:54 pm »
I've been reading some great feed back for this game here. I'm pretty pumped up about this.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:42:45 pm »
Hey, Kaleeko, you're in the beta for WAR, right? Might posting some screen shots of the game on max visual settings, for me? All the screen shots I've seen so far look like the original EverQuest - not so good. lol

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 05:03:38 pm »
I convinced two friends to pre-order it literally right after they got some other MMO set up. lol.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 07:23:19 pm »
I convinced two friends to pre-order it literally right after they got some other MMO set up. lol.

Traitorous scum.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 08:54:26 pm »
I never said I was going to play it. I just convinced two people to play it. They both play WoW, so :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:11:20 pm »
Yeah, I'm in beta, and so far, it's going pretty awesomely. There are a few things here and there that bug me -- the Public Quest loot rolling system (the same person can win the top loot several times in a row), and in large scale RvR battles, it's absolutely impossible for melee classes to play any roll except for renown points for the other time. But other than that, I'm pretty pleased.

I won't say it's a million times better than WoW, because WoW always will do some things better. Instances/dungeons, PvE content, and well, the numbers of players. But if it's one thing that Warhammer will do better, it's the PvP content. I spent a very small fraction of my time on WoW PvPing, where as with WAR I find myself in scenarios or in open field RvR half the time --  or more.

Enough ramblage, though. So far, I have gotten a Witch Elf to 16, a Zealot to 15, a Disciple of Khaine to 10, and idly messed around with a few others. (BF's played a Sorceress to 15, Magus to 15). Only one I can say wasn't a load of fun was Magus... They just sorta suck right now.

@ Warz: I'll go take some screenshots for ya. :)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 10:48:59 pm »
What's max level?

Edit:
Oh yeah, here's some videos that look real good from a person on warhammer alliance forums. I watched the first and think it looks worth buying.

Quote from: Vade;1447617
Here are a couple shots I took. This is everything up that was an option at the time.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/haasusa/PantycricketF_003.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/haasusa/PantycricketF_002.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/haasusa/PantycricketF_004.jpg

Couple T1 pvpage here (Looks better if you DL it. Takes 2 min

http://files.filefront.com/WAR+2008+09+07+11+27+18+62avi/;11725951;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/WAR+2008+09+07+11+31+24+52avi/;11727002;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/WAR+2008+09+07+11+35+23+92avi/;11726970;/fileinfo.html

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:51:56 pm by warz »

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 11:28:34 pm »
Level cap is 40. You can buy mounts at level 20 (which is easy to get to, and I  believe they are only 15g, with, which with the Scavenging craft is nothing), and everything is split up into four tiers. Tier one is 1-11, tier 2 is 12 to 21, etc etc. Before, if you entered the RvR zone of a lower tier, you got turned into a chicken; now, it has to be two tiers below you, but while it said it in the patch notes, I become chickenized every time I try to go in. Figures.  ::)

Here's some screenshots I took. Nothing really special... A few of my hot sexy witch elf, some scenery in the zones I was in, a a kamikaze mission into an RvR battle at the Order's warcamp, and then I switched to my zealot so I could actually do something useful. The spell effects are pretty awesome, but I bet the larger ones eat some people's performance. I have a brand new computer, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

Also threw in a couple of the Inevitable City, because it's pretty awesome. :D
Oh, and no. I have not, and will not, play any Order characters. I had to endure playing Alliance on WoW, at least on most of my chars, I defintely prefer Destruction and it's quests to humiliate, torture, pillage, destroy, and put heads on stakes. Mmm. Carnage.

http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/Kaleeko75317/

I put titles and descriptions on all the pictures so that you can kinda tell what's going on in each. The better spell effect pictures are on page two.