Author Topic: JavaOP and Java ME  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Lance

• View Profile
JavaOP and Java ME
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:23:17 pm »
Is there a way to run JavaOP on a mobile edition of Java such as the Java installed on the Motorola Razr v3?
Quote from: Joe
[23:55:31] [william@enterprise ~/Documents/Programming/javaop2]$ svn commit -m 'Tried to fix StayConnected. Again.'
Committed revision 63.
StayConnected strikes back!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: JavaOP and Java ME
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:05:32 pm »
Probably not. My guess is they strip out a lot of (what Sun would consider) "useless features" and a lot of those features JavaOp uses.

Doesn't hurt to try, though. ;)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 05:13:10 pm »
I vaguely remember it not working, but eh?

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:26:06 pm »
Even if the JRE is complete, you won't have enough RAM. There's no way it could work.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:00:05 pm »
Even if the JRE is complete, you won't have enough RAM. There's no way it could work.
Sounds like a challenge. Is there a way to realistically test how an application would behave on a mobile device, short of actually testing it on one?

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:54:23 pm »
Sure, most mobile platforms that have a lot of development on them have emulators of some sort.  Not a perfect match as you'll be off on actual CPU speed, but you can usually limit RAM on emulators to a realistic value.  There's a nice ARM emulator for Windows Mobile, for instance.

No idea about this particular platform, though, but if it's a major one, I'd imagine that there's probably an emulator somewhere.

You will probably not want to run a battle.net connection from your phone, however.  That is going to wake up your data link frequently, at least for SID_PING/SID_NULL, and that's going to completely hose your battery life.  I'd be surprised if you got even a day between charges like that.  Battery life for a device like a cell phone is dependent on keeping as much of the device powered off for as long as possible, and frequently waking up to perform network tasks does not mesh well with that philosophy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:03:48 am by Skywing »

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:33:10 am »
You will probably not want to run a battle.net connection from your phone, however.  That is going to wake up your data link frequently, at least for SID_PING/SID_NULL, and that's going to completely hose your battery life.  I'd be surprised if you got even a day between charges like that.  Battery life for a device like a cell phone is dependent on keeping as much of the device powered off for as long as possible, and frequently waking up to perform network tasks does not mesh well with that philosophy.

If you're running a battle.net connection, you're presumably also powering the backlight, which uses significantly more power than the radios do.

[edit] That said, the typical phone should be able to reliably get 3 or 4 hours of battery life with the backlight on - better than my laptop is currently doing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:35:15 am by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:54:24 am »
I wonder if a microSD card can expand the ram :o
Quote from: Joe
[23:55:31] [william@enterprise ~/Documents/Programming/javaop2]$ svn commit -m 'Tried to fix StayConnected. Again.'
Committed revision 63.
StayConnected strikes back!

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:37:36 am »
I wonder if a microSD card can expand the ram :o

If you have a unix-based OS, you can add a swap image on a flash chip, but beware that it will be extremely slow, and it will kill your flash chip pretty quickly.

Since you probably dont have a unix phone, you probably can't.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 12:28:05 pm »
SD card interfaces on most phones, in my experience, are rare to do over a couple megabits/sec throughput (say, 4-5mbit/sec).  You really don't want to be doing paging at that rate.