Author Topic: Ron Paul Calls Kid Overweight in 1988  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Ron Paul Calls Kid Overweight in 1988
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:49:03 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88REf0tjZHo

Considering the laughter I got out of this video, I'd say it's more humorous than political.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Ron Paul Calls Kid Overweight in 1988
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:53:57 pm »
While it's a good point, it's bad in bad taste.  I think he made an excellent argument, but it would have been much more convincing for the guy he was responding to if he hadn't insulted him while he was at it.

That aside, it was awesome. :)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:00:34 pm »
While it's a good point, it's bad in bad taste.  I think he made an excellent argument, but it would have been much more convincing for the guy he was responding to if he hadn't insulted him while he was at it.

I would agree with you, but after watching the episodes in full, everyone in the room kept taking shots at Paul and ignored any logical argument. The host, even, put his face 3 inches in front of Paul's, and yelled, "If there was slime like you in the White House, I'd puke on you!" Everyone in the room had a preconceived belief that they wouldn't stray from.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:02:47 pm by Metal Militia »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:14:47 pm »
Also, I'd say Paul made his point. And he wasn't even THAT insulting, he said "you're a little overweight".

But I agree with the position, if you're going to make drugs illegal, why don't you force people to diet?

(And Canada does just that, to a point -- they're banning (or banned?) trans fats). So at least Canada is somewhat consistent. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:04:00 pm »

I would agree with you, but after watching the episodes in full, everyone in the room kept taking shots at Paul and ignored any logical argument. The host, even, put his face 3 inches in front of Paul's, and yelled, "If there was slime like you in the White House, I'd puke on you!" Everyone in the room had a preconceived belief that they wouldn't stray from.

That doesn't excuse the use of that debate technique.

Regardless, I absolutely agree with what he said.

I kind of thought it was more of a case of Reductio ad Adsurdum than a "then we should do this too!", but maybe that's what you were getting at?

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 11:04:40 pm »
Ehh, maybe we need someone that will tell people to grow some balls and go to the gym.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:38:17 pm »
Ehh, maybe we need someone that will tell people to grow some balls and go to the gym.

That's preposterous.  We don't force people to go through four years of college.  Forcing any one lifestyle on anyone is a recipe for trouble.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:56:16 pm »

That's preposterous.  We don't force people to go through four years of college.  Forcing any one lifestyle on anyone is a recipe for trouble.

No, but people are told they should. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:33:32 pm »

No, but people are told they should. :)

Expectations are much different than laws.  It's understandable if a mother expects her children to stay away from drugs.  When you strip away the years of tradition, it's really pretty silly for the government to forbid it.

Has anyone seen the numbers of addicts/capita in countries that legalize "hard" drugs and spend money on rehab clinics instead of efforts to keep drugs away from people?

Incidentally, Morton Downey Jr. was a crackpot idiot.  Here's the video of the full interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHB2I83_N_k.  It's really depressing to see so many people agreeing with Downey's views and inspired by his terrible rhetoric.  I admit that Ron Paul handled the situation less than perfectly.  He's yelling, sitting on the edge of his seat and flailing his arms all over.  Either way, I was impressed with his ability to keep a relatively cool head the whole time.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:06:35 pm »
He's yelling, sitting on the edge of his seat and flailing his arms all over. 

Stan?

And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 01:54:10 pm »
I admit that Ron Paul handled the situation less than perfectly.  He's yelling, sitting on the edge of his seat and flailing his arms all over.  Either way, I was impressed with his ability to keep a relatively cool head the whole time.
That may be a flaw, but  there is no other way he could communicate his point in that situation. If he wouldn't have been aggressive in making his point, no one would let him speak.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 02:08:13 pm »
I admit that Ron Paul handled the situation less than perfectly.  He's yelling, sitting on the edge of his seat and flailing his arms all over.  Either way, I was impressed with his ability to keep a relatively cool head the whole time.
That may be a flaw, but  there is no other way he could communicate his point in that situation. If he wouldn't have been aggressive in making his point, no one would let him speak.

Probably true, but he could have been aggressive without looking like a goon. :)

He's yelling, sitting on the edge of his seat and flailing his arms all over. 

Stan?

LOL
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:10:29 pm by Sidoh »