Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 11210 times)

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Star Wars: The Old Republic
« on: October 21, 2008, 05:16:52 pm »
http://pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html

Very few words can describe how awesome this game is going to be.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 06:37:18 pm »
I saw this earlier, and yes, it'll be awesome.
errr... something like that...

Offline Lead

• Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:14:52 pm »
Hopefully they don't do anything stupid with the game a year after its release like Star Wars: Galaxies.

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:28:08 pm »
Nope, this isn't owned by Sony, this one is EA.  They do all the tampering before-hand.

Offline Lead

• Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 07:33:06 pm »
I actually found a site that is emulating SWG pre-Sony ^_^ I'm quite excited.

http://swgemu.com/

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:29:45 pm »
I actually found a site that is emulating SWG pre-Sony ^_^ I'm quite excited.

http://swgemu.com/
I think you mean pre-LucasArts major involvement. Star Wars Galaxies was developed by SOE from the start, and although there were some pretty major bugs at launch (or so I'm told), people still enjoyed it. I got involved about 8 months before the CU (I think), and it was amazing. I'm not sure why, but for some reason or another, everything between me and the game just clicked. However, Lucasarts got deeply involved in the development after the launch of WoW, and decided SWG should be more like WoW. With that, the combat upgrade happened. However, this didn't stop people from hitting the cancel subscription buttion. Hell, it actually made more people click it.

Maybe the game was still too complicated, so the NGE was developed. This fucked the game, and that's when I quit. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't care my Jedi was now just a run-of-the-mill character. Perhaps what hurt the most, though, is the fact that crafting was useless suddenly. Hell, my bio-engineer suddenly didn't have a class he fit into. I miss the old SWG, but as I don't have time to play an online game now, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:42:46 pm »
Oh, badass. That screen shot looks a little lame, though. Hopefully it's not from the mmo.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:57:20 am »
I've been tracking this for a while, I just hope it looks as good as it should be.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:43:10 pm »
They've released a lot of updates since the last post. The game is looking like it's coming along nicely. A lot of people on the forums are complaining that it'll be too much like kotor and not enough like an mmo. Personally, I don't care - kotor was badass

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 03:26:53 pm »
Hey, even if we get a multiplayer Kotor with space battles, I'll still play the hell out of it.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 11:34:15 pm »
Hey, even if we get a multiplayer Kotor with space battles, I'll still play the hell out of it.

Well, after E3, it's sounding like it's basically going to be kotor online - guilds, crafting, player driven economy, pvp and the rest the usual kotor. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

The forum community @ swtor.com is also really funny. I practically spam refresh in their general discussion section. Fun times. I'll be playing this game religiously.

Also, if you did not see the trailer from E3 you can watch it here. Just prepare to shit yourself due to awesomeness.

Now, I'm off to go read about HLSL. :-(

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 02:13:53 am »
So, I hooked up with some old friends from pre-CU SWG, and it looks like I'll be playing this game when it releases. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 03:34:00 am »
I recieved a weekend beta invite for this weekend, but it's currently bugged and won't let me RSVP.  (They do small, focused tests over weekends, rather than letting you play until beta shuts down)  The game client is like, 40+GB because of all the recorded dialog.  Every single line for every single quest is voiced.  That's a lot of talking.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 11:50:48 am »
Definitely going to play it when it's released.  KOTOR I goes down as one of my all time favorite games, I was extremely disappointed when they decided not to make KOTOR II because of Jade Empire.

I have not touched an MMO in more than 3 years, and vowed to never pay to play another MMO with the exception to being open to possibly paying for a good space MMO if one were to come along... and if all turns out well, SWTOR will be that MMO.  I know, there's EVE Online, but it's not a good space MMO by my standards.

BioWare is definitely now my #1 favorite game developer/ studio (a spot once reserved for Blizzard until their soul was sold to Activision)... and is one of the few things good that comes from Canada besides Blaze and iago <3.

I am 90% confident that BioWare won't fuck up SWTOR, an amount of confidence I've only ever given in the past to Blizzard.  Any game developer/ studio unwilling to set a release date in stone or willing to push back release dates gets mad props from me because it tells me they're committed to releasing a polished product and not letting the pressure from the business management bully them into releasing a half-assed game.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:57:49 am by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:35:48 am »
I am 90% confident that BioWare won't fuck up SWTOR, an amount of confidence I've only ever given in the past to Blizzard.  Any game developer/ studio unwilling to set a release date in stone or willing to push back release dates gets mad props from me because it tells me they're committed to releasing a polished product and not letting the pressure from the business management bully them into releasing a half-assed game.
I love BioWare, too, but they've sold their soul to EA. Dragon Age: Awakenings is a prime example of an unpolished product they've put out for the sake of putting it out; there were bugs galore. :( That said, I'm sure TOR will be different. They've actually taken their time, and it really sounds like they're going to release an awesome game.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 04:05:47 pm »
There were few bugs (5 that I noticed in the first twenty levels) in the SWTOR version I played, and all of them were simple things like a quest object being under ground, the camera being in weird places during a quest conversation and things like that.  As long as there is no server lag, that game is solid as far as RPGs go.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 03:02:18 pm »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org