Author Topic: is it you?  (Read 11495 times)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
is it you?
« on: October 27, 2008, 06:10:44 pm »
Issue
Over 10,000 college students commit suicide each year in the United States.
The leading cause of suicide is known to be depression.
Such internal issues including depression, despair, frustration, and stress from
rigorous academic schedule and uncertain future after graduation
are expressed outwardly via divorce, family problems, hatred, anger, death,
insomnia, nightmare, seizure, oppression, auditory/visual hallucination,
unknown or incurable disease, homosexuality, desperate financial problem...
These issues are not an exception for your life and your school.

Cause
The fundamental cause of these problems is that
the mankind is separated from God.
The mankind lost the direction of life,
suffer from sin and curse,

live under the influence of Satan.
As a result, the mankind is subject to diverse types of issues in life.
Some say that is how the human life is meant to be.
However, the mankind is created to be happy and
enjoy the life God has provided.

Solution
There is a way.
God sent us Jesus Christ as the way to meet God, as the way of our life,
as the resolution to the sin, death, and curses to which we are subject , and
as the King of kings to crush Satan's power.
If you accept this Jesus Christ into your heart,
You will become God's child and will be able to live a purpose-driven life.

We are searching for people with this confession and/or
with the heart to help friends/neighbors suffering from the above conditions.

is it you?

Call (571) 338-3616
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
Re: is it you?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:23:42 pm »
Help me.  :-[
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:50:35 pm »
Why is your post right justified?

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:52:28 pm »
LOL. Move this to the humor board?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:59:13 pm »
I hate religion.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:18:12 pm »
I hate religion.

Religion as a concept is fine, but most people who practice them are pretty stupid.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:22:12 pm »
I hate religion.

Religion as a concept is fine, but most people who practice them are pretty stupid.  :)

Sets of beliefs are fine.  I, of course, have no problem with that.  However, organizations that seek profit from peoples' beliefs and make these kinds of stupid arguments piss me off.

Sorry, I've been on a bit of a long term rant against stupid creationists lately.  (By that, I don't mean creationists are stupid.  I mean I'm specifically upset with creationists that are stupid).

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:32:25 pm »
My post is a close to exact copy of a flyer that was all over the place at my school today. Including the retarded bolding and being right justified.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 02:38:38 am »
Because telling people that the reason they want to kill themselves is that they don't believe in God -- or are "seperated" from God, whatever -- is a perfectly acceptable form of trying to convert people...

What's funny is that I hear this bullshit all the time from my parents. "I'm feeling down today." "And when was the last time you went to church?"

Organized religion is fucked up. Srsly.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 05:06:13 am »
"I've discovered. . . a candy item... it's a cross on one side and a bible inscription on the other. You put it in your mouth, and when it's gone, you can get up and leave."

"Well its got to be a chocolate Jesus,
Good enough for me.
Got to be a chocolate Jesus,
Keep me satisfied."
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 11:29:20 am »
Because telling people that the reason they want to kill themselves is that they don't believe in God -- or are "seperated" from God, whatever -- is a perfectly acceptable form of trying to convert people...

What's funny is that I hear this bullshit all the time from my parents. "I'm feeling down today." "And when was the last time you went to church?"

Organized religion is fucked up. Srsly.

That sucks. :(

My parents aren't that pushy, but coming out of the "agnostic" closet was a bit of a process, heh.

Yeah, I agree.  I don't know, maybe there are exceptions, but it certainly seems like the monster religions (Christianity, Islam, etc) can be dangerous/annoying.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:54:33 pm »
Christianity preying on uncertain college students reminds me of the Tobacco industry ... hook em while they're young.  Religion is the most elaborate intangible self-torture device mankind has ever devised.  Christianity, in particular, helps you accept and understand yourself and your relationship with God, by hating and denying yourself...which is a paradox.  Accepting as absolute truth, axioms (beliefs), that are not intuitive, self-evident, or observable, and denying reality as a consequence, is not only a sad existence, but a dangerous mindset...this is blind faith.  Faith exists in science and math, except this faith is well rooted in simple intuition and observable evidence, hence it is not blind.  What is really profound is that science is answering religion-like questions with certainty (like how the universe was created, e.g. LHC)...religion has produced nothing in its thousands of years of existence.

Do you have what it takes to trust the observable and logical over superstition?  This sounds like a silly question, but I think its harder than you might realize...
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 01:49:21 pm »

I don't really agree; what if I posted a flyer just like that one, except I said that the cause was that there are too many terrorists alive, and the solution was to join the military? I think that would be equally immoral, and equally wrong.

The problem is with the way the information is presented. If you want to believe in a flying spaghetti monster, you have the right to do so - but you should not be allowed to preach it as fact. For example, evolution can be proven - it can be observed directly - but one can't prove that it describes where we came from, and therefore that it precludes intelligent design.

Of course, I've been known to drop the one-liner, "FOSSILS," in the midst of religious discussion. :)

I like the way Stephen Hawking described his notion of god. He explains that, for any given state of the universe, the following state is determined according to the laws of physics - the dimension that governs the transition of states is time. If you knew all of the physical laws, you could theoretically determine what the next state will be; but we do not know all of them, and there's a lot of calculations to be made for a universe so large in an infinitesimal time. Within the universe, there are four observable dimensions - three of space and one of time - but they do not exist outside of the universe. There can be an unbounded number of universes, but you can not say this "for any given time," as time and space are properties of a universe. It follows that for any state, there was a previous state -- that is, until you reach the point of time at which there could be no previous state according to the universal laws of physics, the instant of the big bang. So, whatever force set the initial state of the universe will, "for convenience," be referred to as god.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:51:55 pm by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 03:18:15 pm »
My post is a close to exact copy of a flyer that was all over the place at my school today. Including the retarded bolding and being right justified.

Maybe it being right justified is not coincidence? Think: politics. :P

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 03:49:54 pm »

I don't really agree; what if I posted a flyer just like that one, except I said that the cause was that there are too many terrorists alive, and the solution was to join the military? I think that would be equally immoral, and equally wrong.

I  hope you can tell I was being sarcastic. I didn't come right out and say it, I apologize, but, coming from someone who has suffered from severe depression, the *last* thing you should ever tell someone is that they're depressed because of something they did wrong.

This is just one more case of a fanatic group trying to take advantage of people under a really great time of trial in their life -- I'll admit, having a support group and hope, which a church can provide, is essential to getting through hard times, but forcing a belief system on someone who is trying to find a stable ground in their life is a prime example of how the church is taking advantage of people.

Don't get me wrong, Christianity is a wonderful religion (except for a few minor discrepencies I have), but the organization is effectively distorting it. Especially for the people attending this specific church -- I feel sorry for them, that they have  been lead to believe that this is acceptable.