Author Topic: The imbalanced RAF  (Read 12542 times)

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
The imbalanced RAF
« on: November 03, 2008, 07:34:17 am »
So I recruited myself and created and bought another account. 12 hours in and I'm level 40 on both the characters I started.

In other words if you want to level another character (or 2), I would seriously look into RAF, not to mention you get a Swift Zhevra mount too!

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: The imbalanced RAF
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 08:36:26 am »
Yeah it's OP. I ran me and a friend's RAF chars through instances and hit 60 a fair bit under a day /played. Right now we are leveling characters horde side the old fashioned way but it's still way fast.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:23:37 am »
haha, wow... too bad death knight isnt out yet, since the current classes don't really interest me anymore. for some reason they all feel the same to me, now.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:43:30 am »
haha, wow... too bad death knight isnt out yet, since the current classes don't really interest me anymore. for some reason they all feel the same to me, now.
RAF isn't very useful for the DK since it starts at 55 and RAF only goes until 60. Not that leveling a DK is hard anyways, they are definitely one of the easiest classes to level, and the 60-70 leveling nerf makes blowing through old content way fast.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:22:48 pm »
Btw, I'm still offering a free account to anyone who puts 60 days on it.  I'll even level up with you for the bonus xp.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:25:27 pm »
Btw, I'm still offering a free account to anyone who puts 60 days on it.  I'll even level up with you for the bonus xp.  :)

I'm considering it, Blaze.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:26:59 pm »
Just a side note, it doesn't have Burning Crusade on it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:36:53 pm »

It's a tarp!

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 10:38:23 pm »

It's a tarp!

OMG

Give it to iago!

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:18:20 pm »
does recruit a friend also work for accounts that are inactive? like, you can recruit people to come back to wow?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 01:52:42 pm »
does recruit a friend also work for accounts that are inactive? like, you can recruit people to come back to wow?

I do not think so. You can get free months if you do that. It is called "scroll of resurection," I think.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:18:58 pm »
Bump!  Offer only valid for a couple more days.  :)

(Free account, if you put 60 days on it)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 02:25:15 pm »
So, I just started doing recruit a friend with my buddy and I've got about 15 hours of /played, and we're level 35 already. We started off really slow and didn't quite pick up the speed until level 12... but in one sitting we went from 12 to 32. We had his 80 mage run us through deadmines twice and then stocks like 4 times. Today we plan on farming some SM. w00t.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 03:30:12 am »
So, I just started doing recruit a friend with my buddy and I've got about 15 hours of /played, and we're level 35 already. We started off really slow and didn't quite pick up the speed until level 12... but in one sitting we went from 12 to 32. We had his 80 mage run us through deadmines twice and then stocks like 4 times. Today we plan on farming some SM. w00t.

The wife and I just started this ( she wanted a Zhevra for whatever reason ), so as of right now we're leveling a Mage / Warlock combo.  Started late(r) last night and ran for a couple hours today, stopped at lvl30 so I could go fool around on my mains for a bit.

Triple XP = win
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 08:04:25 am »
triple xp? i'm only getting quest xp + what looks like about 75% of the quest xp as a bonus. damnit, can you really get triple by signing up for 2 months, or something?

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 08:05:41 am »
triple xp? i'm only getting quest xp + what looks like about 75% of the quest xp as a bonus. damnit, can you really get triple by signing up for 2 months, or something?

Just sign up for a trial account, you don't need to buy the game or spend a dime.  Blizzard employees do this themselves.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:28 am »
I did it and got trip xp.  It was mad.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:03 am »

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20588

Is quest experience tripled, too?

Yes, but only if both veteran and recruit characters are present for quest completion and if the monster or quest is not marked as "Low Level" (typically gray in difficulty, though sometimes green) for either linked character.

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 01:19:46 pm »
The only thing about it that sucks is ending up with characters on 2 accounts. my shaman is like 72 but if i want to play him i have to either pay for more time on that account or pay to transfer it to my main one.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 01:50:54 pm »
The only thing about it that sucks is ending up with characters on 2 accounts. my shaman is like 72 but if i want to play him i have to either pay for more time on that account or pay to transfer it to my main one.

Tax returns ftw.  I'll be transferring whatever toons off the alternate account I've made as they hit 60.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 04:08:22 pm »
When you're saying triple experience, you're speaking in terms of both characters, right? Like, quest XP is tripled and then divided?

Is this how people really think of experience? I've always just referred to experience in relation to my single character, heh. Not that it has ever caused confusion before, though. When I heard triple experience I was expecting to see something like...

You've been given 1000 experience. (2000 from recruit-a-friend).

... now THAT would be mad. Yea, I'm receiving the "triple" experience, though. :P It is pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:10:27 pm by warz »

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 04:55:31 pm »
When you're saying triple experience, you're speaking in terms of both characters, right? Like, quest XP is tripled and then divided?

Is this how people really think of experience? I've always just referred to experience in relation to my single character, heh. Not that it has ever caused confusion before, though. When I heard triple experience I was expecting to see something like...

... now THAT would be mad. Yea, I'm receiving the "triple" experience, though. :P It is pretty awesome.
No, both characters really get 3x the xp for everything. Or they should.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »

Are you getting an actual 3x experience? I asked on the Blizzard forums and was told what I mentioned earlier: quest xp + bonus xp / 2 for both people. So, it's 3x the total experience if you combine it which I don't know why people would mention it that way since it's confusing and misleading sort of. This is what I'm being given, though.

Edit: Ah, a GM just responded and cleared it up. When it says the "You've been given 75 experience. (50 from recruit-a-friend).", the 75 is the total tripled amount, and the 50 just tells you that 50 of that 75 is bonus. That had me confused. I thought it was 75 normal xp, and 50 extra.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:14:19 pm by warz »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 05:15:08 pm »
Who the fuck says imbalanced?
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline MyndFyre

• The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 06:51:28 pm »

Are you getting an actual 3x experience? I asked on the Blizzard forums and was told what I mentioned earlier: quest xp + bonus xp / 2 for both people. So, it's 3x the total experience if you combine it which I don't know why people would mention it that way since it's confusing and misleading sort of. This is what I'm being given, though.

Edit: Ah, a GM just responded and cleared it up. When it says the "You've been given 75 experience. (50 from recruit-a-friend).", the 75 is the total tripled amount, and the 50 just tells you that 50 of that 75 is bonus. That had me confused. I thought it was 75 normal xp, and 50 extra.
Monster killing XP is halved after being tripled so if a normal rested person gets 100xp for killing a mob, you'd get 300xp, except that being an group of 2 gets you 150xp.  That works for groups though, so if you kill an elite mob normally worth 800xp, you'd get 2400xp / 5 adjusted for group bonus, so it's freaking insane.  I dinged twice going through Deadmines with a 70 mag

Your quest XP is fully tripled because the quests don't look to see whether you're in a group, so a 5000xp quest returns 15000.  It generally means that completing ZF and its related quests will get you a total of four levels for one run-through of ZF.  (Your mileage may vary).

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 07:04:15 pm »
I don't think the quest bonuses work that way anymore. You don't currently get the bonuses if you're not partied with your recruited friend and within 100 yard of them. But, yea, me and my friend got 5 levels in Stockades in like 30 minutes using his 80 mage - leveled every run.

Offline MyndFyre

• The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 09:14:59 pm »
I don't think the quest bonuses work that way anymore. You don't currently get the bonuses if you're not partied with your recruited friend and within 100 yard of them. But, yea, me and my friend got 5 levels in Stockades in like 30 minutes using his 80 mage - leveled every run.
I'm sorry - I should have clarified.  You have to be partied with the person and within range.  But that's pretty much spelled out as how it's always worked.

WIA.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 10:16:02 pm »

lrn2readFAQs

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 01:02:09 am »
Your quest XP is fully tripled because the quests don't look to see whether you're in a group

That's what I was responding to.

lrn2readFAQs

eh? What I said in that quote is still correct. :P

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 12:22:57 am »
Your quest XP is fully tripled because the quests don't look to see whether you're in a group

That's what I was responding to.

lrn2readFAQs

eh? What I said in that quote is still correct. :P

Pretty positive it's always been the same way.

O_O

I do think it's pretty gay that only the recruited account can grant levels.  I've got about 13hrs /played at level 40.  Time to hit ZF for 40-50 tomorrow!

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 08:50:16 am »

Just sign up for a trial account, you don't need to buy the game or spend a dime.  Blizzard employees do this themselves.
Doesn't a trial account only go up to 20 though?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 01:48:58 pm »

Doesn't a trial account only go up to 20 though?

Yes, however, Blizzard also reduced the experience required to level from level 20 through 60.  Level 19 is harder than 20 by quite a bit.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:17 pm »
woot. my recruit a friend paladin is level 70 now. so is the huntard.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 10:03:28 pm »
woot. my recruit a friend paladin is level 70 now. so is the huntard.

Grats.  I haven't had a chance to level our duo in a few days, parents came down to visit and had some friends over for dinner today.  Still sitting at lvl44.

:(

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 11:05:01 pm »
Yea. All we did was power level in 5 mans. I'd be on the two RAF characters and my friend would be on his 80 mage. We did level 10-30 in one night, and then did 30-35, 35-45, and 45-60 all in single nights. All we ran was dead mines, stockades, rotated through all of the SMs, ZF and then Strath. ZF gave the quickest and best XP of them all. We could have probably done ZF much longer than we did. We moved to Strath at around 50 and got 2 levels a run... but a run took us like an hour and a half. Those 2 levels every hour and a half in Strath were nothing compared to the 2 levels we were getting per run in ZF taking only like 15 minutes per run. We did that until 55 and got bored, so we started questing until 58... after that it's all the typical Outland/Northrend stuff.

I forget how much I actually like Outland. In my opinion Outland is way more fun than Northrend - zone related, anyways. The quests in Northrend are probably more fun but I've never been a big fan of questing. lol

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 12:28:51 pm »
Yea. All we did was power level in 5 mans. I'd be on the two RAF characters and my friend would be on his 80 mage. We did level 10-30 in one night, and then did 30-35, 35-45, and 45-60 all in single nights. All we ran was dead mines, stockades, rotated through all of the SMs, ZF and then Strath. ZF gave the quickest and best XP of them all. We could have probably done ZF much longer than we did. We moved to Strath at around 50 and got 2 levels a run... but a run took us like an hour and a half. Those 2 levels every hour and a half in Strath were nothing compared to the 2 levels we were getting per run in ZF taking only like 15 minutes per run. We did that until 55 and got bored, so we started questing until 58... after that it's all the typical Outland/Northrend stuff.

I forget how much I actually like Outland. In my opinion Outland is way more fun than Northrend - zone related, anyways. The quests in Northrend are probably more fun but I've never been a big fan of questing. lol

Yeah, we did:

Leveling: 1-18
Deadmines: 18-22ish
Stockades: 22ish-30
Scarlet Monastery: 30-40
ZF: 40-*

Been granting my wifes alts with levels, so on top of the Warlock / Mage combo we're leveling her Druid / Priest are also at 40 now.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 01:28:36 pm »
I completely agree.

That is exactly what I am doing on my pally (lvl 48 atm) with my friend's DK running me through everything.  I do not; however, have RAF so it's taking me a bit longer, but it's still going by very quickly.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus