Author Topic: /me = Scared  (Read 2529 times)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
/me = Scared
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F01%2F22%2F1435250&from=rss

So, yeah.  I was thinking a few months ago that I'd be better off relative to other majors graduating this spring and looking for a job.  But now I'm getting scared...
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: /me = Scared
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:29:26 pm »
It's probably important to realize that a lot of the people they're laying off aren't engineers.  A significant portion of them are probably HR, recruiters, etc.  Google's hiring staff is now around 100, I've heard.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 05:41:19 pm »
Not to mention most workforce reductions are coming from legacy product lines, marginal profit areas, and luxury markets.  These are not typically new-hire areas.  In my company at least, noone in the up-and-coming product engineering groups are being touched (there are some budget cuts of course, but not personnel).  Motorolla is a good example as well.  IIRC they are slashing ~70% of their mobile handset division, leaving only their most promising Android development team.  They might not be hiring today, but they'll continue to hire new college recruits.  The biggest difference for finding a job right now is that the pool is a lot bigger allowing employers to be more selective.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:50:39 pm »
Yea, here's an insight into my past week. I just got off the phone with Sony Ericsson for a software developer position there, and am expecting a phone interview with Blizzard to be setup for an internship during the summer. I currently work at Nortel doing software development. If you are in fact trying to be a software developer (judging by your name, and really queer tattoo) then the market isn't so bad right now. Another fact, I believe software developers were in the top 5 most promising jobs for the next several years according to some survey I saw awhile back. (yea, real informative I know, but I don't feel like searching for a list to support my claims right now. :P)

If you're going into something like HR, or something, then yea, like Sidoh mentioned... it might be rough right now
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:53:00 pm by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:47:18 pm »
Sweet, warz!  Does Blizzard advertize internship positions?  I'd be interested in doing that, but I have enough interviews looming over my head. :(

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »
Sweet, warz!  Does Blizzard advertize internship positions?  I'd be interested in doing that, but I have enough interviews looming over my head. :(

Yea, it's on their website somewhere. It was on the front page for a few days though, if it isn't anymore. I've already been contacted by them... I'm waiting for them to setup an interview, though. They're slow. =\
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »
It's probably important to realize that a lot of the people they're laying off aren't engineers.  A significant portion of them are probably HR, recruiters, etc.  Google's hiring staff is now around 100, I've heard.
My dad is a civil engineer and I couldn't tell you how many times he's told me recently that he has to lay more people off :-/

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:58:10 pm »

Yea, it's on their website somewhere. It was on the front page for a few days though, if it isn't anymore. I've already been contacted by them... I'm waiting for them to setup an interview, though. They're slow. =\

Ah, very cool man.  You'll have to keep us updated.  Blizzard sounds like it'd be an awesome place to work.

I have a few interviews with Google in the near future.  I'm pretty nervous about those. :X

My dad is a civil engineer and I couldn't tell you how many times he's told me recently that he has to lay more people off :-/

Yeah, I guess that doesn't surprise me.  He's in a completely different industry, though.  It's probably not a fair comparison.