Author Topic: Cold heat.  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
Cold heat.
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:18:53 pm »
iago, did you ever have a cold heat soldering iron? I was thinking about getting one, and I thought you said you had one.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Cold heat.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:37:29 pm »
Chavo is another good person to ask.  Those computer engineers have way fancier equipment than us compooter scientists. :(

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:39:42 pm »
I have one, but I've only used it a couple times. It's worked well, but professionals will laugh at you. :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:11:43 pm »
I've put together lots of random electronical devices (mostly radios).  The rule of thumb (I think), is that if you think you're going to be burning yourself a lot, and it's not a hard solder to do, use it, but 9/10 jobs are a lot quicker/easier with a normal soldering iron.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:27:07 am »
The cold heat irons are very good for hobbyists that just need to stick two wires together.  The reasons that we "professionals" will laugh at you is they don't get nearly hot enough or have nearly fine enough tips to get the harder jobs done :)

I don't own one personally (my butane powered portable iron gets much hotter plenty fast and has interchangeable tips; for the big jobs you need a temperature controlled AC supply anyway), but I've used them in the past and can't complain as long as you understand their place.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:16:57 am »
I use an actual soldering iron for projects that I can easily maneuver around, but things away from the work bench would be easier with a wireless iron.  Does it solder 12 gauge wires?