Author Topic: Calculating individual impact of Obama's programs  (Read 5162 times)

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
Calculating individual impact of Obama's programs
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:36:07 am »
How would one go about calculating the individual financial impact on a college student as a result of Obama's financial programs?
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
Re: Calculating individual impact of Obama's programs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:46:27 pm »
Making a lot of assumptions.  :-\
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 01:08:51 pm »
The first step would be gathering all the potentially relevant data.  Do you have that?

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:10:06 pm »
No because like Deuce said this takes a lot of assuming, but apparently it's supposed to be able to be done mathematically. I would guess the right path to take would be to look at Obama's plans that deal with colleges directly (loans, tuition grants, etc.) and then compare it to average tuition cost/student loan post-graduation. Relative job market trends, compared with Obama's plans for jobs, etc.

The way this question is posed is supposed to make Obama's plans look like a burden on college students. But since they haven't had time to actually take effect, the only data I would think I could use would be from the administration, and that would skew the results as helpful.

Any advice would help, as the members of this community are definitely more mathematically inclined than I.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
Your goal is to show that Obama's plans are a burden on college students?

It's really hard to answer this question, without knowing what data is available in the first place.  Yes, it would be good to look at Obama's plans related to college students, and possibly planned tax cuts for people in certain income brackets, and also maybe at some of the bailout package, and healthcare policies, etc.  It would also be worth looking at the respective policies of the previous administration, for comparison.

First though, I would re-define what you are looking for.  If you are trying to prove that Obama is doing college students a disservice, you will likely bias your investigation, and your results will be unreliable.

It would be more useful to instead research "what effect" Obama's plans have on college students.

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:09:34 pm »
I understand the obvious bias in this, but the question that I'm being asked is leading.
Ain't Life Grand?