Author Topic: A couple good indie games  (Read 2736 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
A couple good indie games
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:57:12 am »
Yesterday, I stumbled across a pair of independent games. They're multi-platform (windows/linux/mac), pretty cheap ($20ish), have playable demos, and have no DRM. The main reason I tried them was out of support, but I think they're good enough to buy. I may also crack them, if the full game is included, just for the fun/challenge (in addition to buying, of course). :)

World of Goo
World of Goo is a goofy little game with cheerful music and such. In it, build structures to get to a goal. There was a similar game online with 9 levels or so that we talked about at some point, but in this, even the demo has 10 or more levels (I haven't beaten it yet). Each level has a goal, and also has an "OCD goal" (which, obviously, is much more difficult).

My first reaction was, "this is dumb", but a half hour later, my reaction was, "wow, I'm still playing this and I'm having fun!"

The Penumbra Series
Penumbra is a horror/puzzle game. It uses a physics engine for its puzzles which feels pretty smooth, in my opinion, not that I've played a game with a physics engine before. The graphics are a bit much for my poor laptop, but when I tune them down it isn't so bad.

My biggest complaint is that the demo is fairly short. But it has an awesome ending, so I can't really complain. :)

<edit> bought the Penumbra series ($20, why not?). I forgot to note also, Penumbra is very much Lovecraftian, which is cool. Besides the plot and feeling, the main character is named Philip and his father is Howard (HP Lovecraft = Howard Phillips Lovecraft). I doubt that's a coincidence. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:00:36 pm by iago »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: A couple good indie games
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:51:05 pm »
<3 World of Goo.  I've got like, 80% of the game done and about 50% of the OCD challenges.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: A couple good indie games
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:22:04 pm »
Agree, goo is my favorite wii game (and the only one I've downloaded).  One of the things I really like about this game is that they've managed to find background music + repetitive sounds for the actions that are not annoying.  I don't know how they managed to do this, but it's impressive and continually enjoyable to play (and even watch others).

80/50 is an interesting ratio, I only had 1-2 OCD completions before I had made it all the way through.  I went back for a lot more, but I haven't hit anywhere near 100% OCD simply because I haven't played in some time.