Author Topic: x86 Book Club?  (Read 26106 times)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: x86 Book Club?
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 08:16:44 pm »
For what it's worth, I finished another book I mentioned (Strata by Terry Pratchett) on the way back -- it was way better. :)

Bah!  I very seriously doubt it. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 12:58:11 am »
For what it's worth, I finished another book I mentioned (Strata by Terry Pratchett) on the way back -- it was way better. :)

I wasn't the biggest fan of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.. the book didn't really go anywhere or deal with the issues I was hoping it dealt with. It was an interesting story, and had some cool meaning, but ultimately I wasn't satisfied. :P

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 07:05:43 am »

I wasn't the biggest fan of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.. the book didn't really go anywhere or deal with the issues I was hoping it dealt with. It was an interesting story, and had some cool meaning, but ultimately I wasn't satisfied. :P

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the book didn't really go anywhere or deal with the issues I was hoping it dealt with".  I think it deals with a ton of issues, but it doesn't resolve them explicitly, which is one of its greatest strengths.  Basically everything Philip Dick does, leaves one in an uneasy, depressed, unresolved, thoughtful mood.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 09:36:23 am »

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the book didn't really go anywhere or deal with the issues I was hoping it dealt with".  I think it deals with a ton of issues, but it doesn't resolve them explicitly, which is one of its greatest strengths.  Basically everything Philip Dick does, leaves one in an uneasy, depressed, unresolved, thoughtful mood.

It didn't do it for me. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume that nobody else will have it read by tomorrow, right? :P

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2009, 06:08:39 pm »
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume that nobody else will have it read by tomorrow, right? :P

Yeah, that's what I figure too. :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2009, 07:30:58 pm »
It's kinda what I said when we first talked about this on AIM. It's hard to get more than one or two people to read a book for no real reason. Ah well, it was worth reading anyways.

Burmese Days is still in my queue, I've read the first two chapters. But it's low priority right now, under stuff I *need* to read.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2009, 10:16:36 pm »
I've read it. We can still have a discussion. 8)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.