Author Topic: windows7  (Read 9453 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: windows7
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 06:47:54 pm »
While yes, running/non-running programs are in the same region, WhoTF cares?  There is no functional difference, and barely any aesthetic difference.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 06:48:04 pm »
It seems to have the same annoying functionality as Mac, where the running/non-running icons share the same space. Is that always the case, or is it configurable? I have trouble telling which is running and which isn't (both on OS X and 7) -- I don't do well with shading and stuff like that.

Well, if the Task is unpinned it won't stay on the Superbar after it's closed. That's obvious though.

Aside from that, you can tell which Applications are running by the border around the icon, and the fact that it has a hover color based on the icon RGB values on mouse over. That's something specific to running programs.

Another option is to enable text labels, then only running programs get text labels. Seems like good middle ground.

In my experience though, it has not been very difficult to tell which Applications are running.

Personally, I'd much prefer having a space reserved for running stuff, and another space reserved for programs I can run. As I said, I normally have 30+ icons on my quicklaunch, but I rarely have more than 2-3 programs running at once (I hate having a lot of stuff running, it makes me feel cluttered). It'd be incredibly annoying if running/stopped programs had to share the same space, I'd probably go back to putting all my programs on the desktop so I wouldn't have to look at them.

I'm not sure what you mean, you'd look at the icons on the Quick Launch regardless. If it really bothers you, you can set the Superbar to auto hide.

On a somewhat related note, what they ought to do is decouple Windows's interface from the OS itself, like Linux, and let people rip and replace the interface entirely. If I could replace the Vista/7 interface with XP's, I'd be far happier to use them. Better yet if I could use a stripped down theme like I do on Linux. I realize that it's possible to do this to some extent, but I don't think there's any good way.

Well Windows is such a general purpose Operating Systems, that while there are ways to do this (Shell replacements), they are not very prevalent, especially not on Windows 7.

And also, while idle with no programs open, and on a totally fresh install, ~300 - 400mb of RAM were in use. Is that normal?

Yes. Windows 7's memory manager is much smarter about allocating memory than Windows XP.

Windows 7 reserves memory for caching frequently used programs to make them load faster, the difference is really noticeable in a game like World of Warcraft where you're constantly loading zones. I forget exactly, but Vista was significantly faster at loading Zones than Windows XP was. A bit unscientific, but eh.

Now, bear in mind that just because the memory is in use does not mean that it's not accessible if need be. Unused memory in an Operating System is basically wasted memory.

The Windows memory allocator has a concept of memory pressure, that is, if the PC is strapped for memory and needs more, then the caching engine will release some of it's memory, the .NET Garbage Collector will be forced to collect memory more often, etc.

It's all pretty streamlined, I think it's a waste of time in this day and age to worry too much over readings like this. Unless there is a concrete slowdown noticed in the PC, or you start getting out of memory errors, there's generally nothing to worry about.

Now, this does not completely rule out the fact that a Windows component may be (by flawed design or otherwise) using up more memory than it should, as this is not memory that can be given up on demand like cached memory, but it's something to consider nonetheless.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 06:52:53 pm »

Some nice Windows hotkeys, some I just learned today. May help with productivity with the Superbar.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 07:26:20 pm »
Well, if the Task is unpinned it won't stay on the Superbar after it's closed. That's obvious though.

Aside from that, you can tell which Applications are running by the border around the icon, and the fact that it has a hover color based on the icon RGB values on mouse over. That's something specific to running programs.

Another option is to enable text labels, then only running programs get text labels. Seems like good middle ground.

In my experience though, it has not been very difficult to tell which Applications are running.
Maybe for most people they can tell right away, but it annoys me. I'm very fussy about how stuff looks and feels.

I'm not sure what you mean, you'd look at the icons on the Quick Launch regardless. If it really bothers you, you can set the Superbar to auto hide.
Autohide is eww.

Keeping the icons in the quick launch in a different place means that yes, they're still there, but they can be effectively ignored and can be a blank spot as far as I'm concerned.

Well Windows is such a general purpose Operating Systems, that while there are ways to do this (Shell replacements), they are not very prevalent, especially not on Windows 7.
It's too bad.

Yes. Windows 7's memory manager is much smarter about allocating memory than Windows XP.

Windows 7 reserves memory for caching frequently used programs to make them load faster, the difference is really noticeable in a game like World of Warcraft where you're constantly loading zones. I forget exactly, but Vista was significantly faster at loading Zones than Windows XP was. A bit unscientific, but eh.

Now, bear in mind that just because the memory is in use does not mean that it's not accessible if need be. Unused memory in an Operating System is basically wasted memory.

The Windows memory allocator has a concept of memory pressure, that is, if the PC is strapped for memory and needs more, then the caching engine will release some of it's memory, the .NET Garbage Collector will be forced to collect memory more often, etc.

It's all pretty streamlined, I think it's a waste of time in this day and age to worry too much over readings like this. Unless there is a concrete slowdown noticed in the PC, or you start getting out of memory errors, there's generally nothing to worry about.

Now, this does not completely rule out the fact that a Windows component may be (by flawed design or otherwise) using up more memory than it should, as this is not memory that can be given up on demand like cached memory, but it's something to consider nonetheless.
That sounds good in general, but not when it's being run in VMWare (which we're doing). VMWare only hands out the memory that a computer is using, but if a computer is reserving 300mb, that's 300mb less that I have for other servers on VMWare.

I assume that's optional, though, so probably a nonissue.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:31 pm »
Maybe for most people they can tell right away, but it annoys me. I'm very fussy about how stuff looks and feels.

Yeah, text labels would probably suit you best.

Autohide is eww.

Keeping the icons in the quick launch in a different place means that yes, they're still there, but they can be effectively ignored and can be a blank spot as far as I'm concerned.

I see, then maybe you're the reason they optionally left in Quick Launch. I don't think it's a problem a lot of people will have though.

That sounds good in general, but not when it's being run in VMWare (which we're doing). VMWare only hands out the memory that a computer is using, but if a computer is reserving 300mb, that's 300mb less that I have for other servers on VMWare.

I assume that's optional, though, so probably a nonissue.

Yes, a lot of the caching mechanisms are optional (Superfetch mainly), but some of it is built into the memory manager itself and caches memory on a much more granular level I believe.

Yeah, the VM problem seems like a real deal breaker, but I'm not sure how many people would do that.

I believe much of Microsoft's design philosophy follows the whims of the many, then if there's a sizable (yet relative to the majority very small) amount of people who still want a feature, it's hidden away in an option somewhere.

It's not too bad I don't think.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:36 pm »
Is everything "Super-<something>"?

I'm a fan of awesome bars myself, but I'm not sure if I can handle super stuff. :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 10:31:55 pm »
Superfetch and Superbar lol, just funny that they're both relevant here.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 03:04:14 am »
I was wondering, how can windows improve on something named a "superbar"?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 05:18:32 am »

What? Superbar is what the new Taskbar is referred to as by Microsoft employees.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 08:20:56 am »

What? Superbar is what the new Taskbar is referred to as by Microsoft employees.
I think he was kidding

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 09:11:08 am »
I thought so, but you never know.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 01:55:44 am »
I've been using win7 for a couple weeks installed alongside linux on my laptop, which I'm now using considerably more than my desktop since I'm at school. So far the only features I have noticed that I find useful are the new start menu which is way faster to browse than the old one, and the start menu search (especially considering the control panel is a total clusterfuck). Uhh the file copy dialog seems to finally be unretarded. Aero and the default theme is almost as ugly and annoying as OSX and after a few days got turned off.  The new explorer layout sucks. I dislike you sidebar and stupid thing at the bottom (superstatusbar?) And where did the up one folder button go? :( Superbar isn't that bad but the default functionality gets really annoying. I really don't like the grouping and the mousover things and the no labels, but those are changed easily enough. I do like the pinned programs though, especially being able to have my most frequently used things stay in the right order regardless of when I started them (OCD FTW)

Anyways, I don't think I'll be ditching XP on my desktop any time soon. Even at no cost I see no compelling reason to upgrade, at least until security/driver issues become prevalent.

PS. fuck UI designers, apple sucks stop trying to copy their stupid shit
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow