Offline StaiN

• Chicken Biskit
  • x86
  • Ninjas?
    • View Profile
    • Not My Site.
Re: DROID
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:00:30 am »
I have yet to see a Verizon phone that doesn't suck royally. I have no good expections for this one.

I disagree... Blackberry Storm... Terrible device. I was a Data Technician for them for 2 years. All I heard was issues about the phones... There a several phones that have numerous design flaws.

On another note... Droid phones are amazing. I have the T-Mobile HTC MyTouch by Google... Love it. Despite the keyboard size and functionality the device suits all my needs, and has many options that I'm still learning. Kid at a Candy Store.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 09:40:37 am »
I plan to get an Android when my contact is up, but I'm not sure who to go with.  I've always used AT&T/Cingular, but I'm open to switching carriers.  I want the best Android/Service combo I can get, and if I can keep my number, all the better.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 11:33:18 am »
I <3 my G1 on T-Mobile.  They may or may not have as good of coverage as Verizon, but their customer service is absolutely amazing.

As a note: I travel quite a bit and haven't ever had a problem with coverage anyway.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline StaiN

• Chicken Biskit
  • x86
  • Ninjas?
    • View Profile
    • Not My Site.
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 01:46:04 pm »
Verizon's coverage is overrated... They may have the most towers overall, but doesn't mean they're better. Especially for Broadband users... Bandwidth gets RAPED. East Coast is probably the best place for Verizon Customers. Everywhere else.... 50/50 imo.

Have yet to have problems w/ my T-Mo. and yeah their Customer Service is top notch. Rated highest w/ J.G Power and Associates. Have a call center here, and people say working there is strict but the atmosphere is amazing. They're required to have a level of efficiency and good manners.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »
Verizon's coverage is overrated... They may have the most towers overall, but doesn't mean they're better. Especially for Broadband users... Bandwidth gets RAPED. East Coast is probably the best place for Verizon Customers. Everywhere else.... 50/50 imo.

The east cost is the most covered by all carriers because it's the most densely populated with blackberries. A typical BlackBerry uses about 15 times more bandwidth-time for the same amount of data as the next worst PDA. That does not, by any stretch of the imagination, mean that their coverage elsewhere is sub-par. They didn't get to where they are by having poor coverage. They simply have more capacity, and no amount of idle speculation can change that.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 03:42:34 pm »
They may or may not have as good of coverage as Verizon, but their customer service is absolutely amazing.
Yeah, Verizon has pretty bad CS. Their reps work on commission, so they're only interested in selling stuff, not educating.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline StaiN

• Chicken Biskit
  • x86
  • Ninjas?
    • View Profile
    • Not My Site.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 11:30:04 pm »

The east cost is the most covered by all carriers because it's the most densely populated with blackberries. A typical BlackBerry uses about 15 times more bandwidth-time for the same amount of data as the next worst PDA. That does not, by any stretch of the imagination, mean that their coverage elsewhere is sub-par. They didn't get to where they are by having poor coverage. They simply have more capacity, and no amount of idle speculation can change that.

Not saying that Verizon doesn't have good coverage in other locations. But Midwest and West cost it's still divided between the major carriers... East coast IS dominated by Verizon, guaranteed. Working for Verizon, and previously AT&T I've been educated on the fact. Even more so recently due to the fact that Verizon Wireless owns Alltel which was primarily based in the South Eastern regions of the United States. And as far as Blackberry Bandwidth.. I wouldn't say it's because they take 15x more... I'd say it's because that area is more densely populated...

They may or may not have as good of coverage as Verizon, but their customer service is absolutely amazing.
Yeah, Verizon has pretty bad CS. Their reps work on commission, so they're only interested in selling stuff, not educating.

And only their store reps are commission based. The others are base pay w/ Bonus for sales on top.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 12:01:39 am »
And as far as Blackberry Bandwidth.. I wouldn't say it's because they take 15x more... I'd say it's because that area is more densely populated...

Say what you like, but it's widely known in the industry that the north-east has a much higher concentration of blackberries, and that they romp on the network. I don't see how you can not see the correlation. Look at a 3g coverage map of any carrier, and you'll see that the north-east region is much more densely covered than anywhere else.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline StaiN

• Chicken Biskit
  • x86
  • Ninjas?
    • View Profile
    • Not My Site.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 12:10:50 am »
... Never said you were incorrect. More people obviously means more Blackberries...

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline StaiN

• Chicken Biskit
  • x86
  • Ninjas?
    • View Profile
    • Not My Site.
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 12:41:37 am »
Uhm.. That map is obviously a lie. Considering I live in Idaho, and Verizon doesn't provide 3G coverage here. Or anywhere surrounding for that matter. LOL What a joke. I've seen that. And it's quite honestly, bullshit.

And that blog is only saying that if AT&T can provide false info, Verizon can say what they want as well. I'm not disagreeing that Verizon has a better Network overall... But that Map is blown way out of proportion.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:57:31 am by StaiN »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 08:32:36 am »
The AT&T map shows coverage over the entirety of Philadelphia, and I've never gotten a 3G signal in my life :(

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »

Not saying that Verizon doesn't have good coverage in other locations. But Midwest and West cost it's still divided between the major carriers.

VZW is the only way to go in rural, semi-rural areas (i.e. where I live).  Sure we have AT&T coverage (only got that a couple yrs ago), but if you head to more rural areas of my state you're screwed (even w/VZW sometimes).

That said, Jan 31 I am up for contract renewal.  Motorola Droid will be the phone I select.  Most of the bugs I've read about should be worked out soon enough.

Can you find a more accurate map?  The judge presiding over the AT&T v Verizon case just ruled in favor of VZW this morning.

Offline StaiN

• Chicken Biskit
  • x86
  • Ninjas?
    • View Profile
    • Not My Site.
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 01:46:59 am »
No map is going to be completely accurate. They're all going to be altered to each individual carriers liking. And what you've said --

VZW is the only way to go in rural, semi-rural areas (i.e. where I live).  Sure we have AT&T coverage (only got that a couple yrs ago), but if you head to more rural areas of my state you're screwed (even w/VZW sometimes).

was based primarily off your own opinion and circumstance.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 09:37:15 pm »
Free? Even with the $50 discount for the new every 2 refresh, it's still $150.

what... with my new every 2 I get $100 off but that still only makes it $199 (without 2 year contract it's $299)
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org