Author Topic: DROID  (Read 19214 times)

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
Re: DROID
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 11:56:26 am »
Uhm.. That map is obviously a lie. Considering I live in Idaho, and Verizon doesn't provide 3G coverage here. Or anywhere surrounding for that matter. LOL What a joke. I've seen that. And it's quite honestly, bullshit.
I'm looking at RNC stats for Idaho right now. They most definitely do cover Idaho, but not as densely as states that have people in them. You probably just live in an area that isn't covered, or in a valley or something.

The AT&T map shows coverage over the entirety of Philadelphia, and I've never gotten a 3G signal in my life :(
I didn't lose 3G for even a minute when I drove across PA. If you're sure you actually have a 3G phone, you probably need to update your PRL. Dial *ACT, and press 2 at the prompt.

[edit] Oh, nevermind, you have ATT. I'm not sure if GSM even uses PRLs, but there's probably some equivalent, and some way to update it.

Most of the bugs I've read about should be worked out soon enough.
Don't hold your breath on getting the changes - most of the bugs have already been fixed. Verizon has to be the one to push a new ROM, and the only time in the history of the company existing that they have done that was when the FCC mandated that they unlock the GPS chips in their WM phones -- and they still missed the deadline. That isn't to say it definitely won't happen, just that I'm not counting on it. I'll be keeping up with homebrew ROMs once they start coming out, which will probably be some time in the next couple of months.

Can you find a more accurate map?  The judge presiding over the AT&T v Verizon case just ruled in favor of VZW this morning.
That map is [a downsized version of a map that is] as accurate as is possible for Verizon to create. They put red blotches for 2 miles around every 3G radio node, which is pretty nearly guaranteed to be "full 3G signal" coverage range. Terrain has a huge impact on actual signal strength, but they can't accurately model that.

Free? Even with the $50 discount for the new every 2 refresh, it's still $150.
what... with my new every 2 I get $100 off but that still only makes it $199 (without 2 year contract it's $299)
That $100 is a mail-in rebate (they'll send you a $100 visa gift card), so you still have to front the money. The new every 2 upgrade is a $50 discount off the cost of the phone, and requires that you renew a 2 year contract.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:58:54 am by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 01:14:23 pm »
Free? Even with the $50 discount for the new every 2 refresh, it's still $150.
what... with my new every 2 I get $100 off but that still only makes it $199 (without 2 year contract it's $299)
That $100 is a mail-in rebate (they'll send you a $100 visa gift card), so you still have to front the money. The new every 2 upgrade is a $50 discount off the cost of the phone, and requires that you renew a 2 year contract.

ah, thanks for clarifying.  I guess it doesn't include the $50 new every 2 discount when shopping their online store, just the rebate.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 01:30:24 pm »
ah, thanks for clarifying.  I guess it doesn't include the $50 new every 2 discount when shopping their online store, just the rebate.
I haven't been to that website in a while, but I think there's a special way you're supposed to indicate that you want to upgrade an existing phone. Instead of just going directly to the "i can has phone?" section, look under the description of your line (look for a picture of your current phone next to your phone number somewhere on the page), and click on it. You should have the option to upgrade that specific phone. That's probably pretty confusing if you only have one handset on your plan.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 05:48:09 pm »
according to the best buy circular, it's going to be $99 on Black Friday with or without a contract.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 06:16:39 pm »
according to the best buy circular, it's going to be $99 on Black Friday with or without a contract.

I know where I'll be camping Thursday night...
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 02:09:42 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if they offered that deal with a contract, but I'd be shocked to see it without.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline StaiN

• Chicken Biskit
  • x86
  • Ninjas?
    • View Profile
    • Not My Site.
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 03:39:01 am »
Uhm.. That map is obviously a lie. Considering I live in Idaho, and Verizon doesn't provide 3G coverage here. Or anywhere surrounding for that matter. LOL What a joke. I've seen that. And it's quite honestly, bullshit.
I'm looking at RNC stats for Idaho right now. They most definitely do cover Idaho, but not as densely as states that have people in them. You probably just live in an area that isn't covered, or in a valley or something.

I would definitely like to see this... I live in the most populated part of Idaho, and on top of a Plateau... Where do you get your information? I worked as a Data Technician for VZW and worked directly with the NRB...

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 01:21:03 pm »
I would definitely like to see this... I live in the most populated part of Idaho, and on top of a Plateau... Where do you get your information? I worked as a Data Technician for VZW and worked directly with the NRB...
I'm not authorized to distribute the information. I didn't personally pull it, but the data came directly from the RNC logs, via our VPN with VZW's production radio network.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 04:06:49 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if they offered that deal with a contract, but I'd be shocked to see it without.

My mistake, this is for the DROID ERIS
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 04:36:39 pm »
I've spoken with friends that have fiddled with both the Droid (motorola) & the Eris (HTC), and they all pref'd HTC.  I was partial to the moto, but apparently build quality is lacking.  I will have to decide later, but have yall heard/experienced similar?

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 04:59:48 pm »
My mistake, this is for the DROID ERIS
The price is already $99 with a contract.

I've spoken with friends that have fiddled with both the Droid (motorola) & the Eris (HTC), and they all pref'd HTC.  I was partial to the moto, but apparently build quality is lacking.  I will have to decide later, but have yall heard/experienced similar?
The Eris has a clearly superior design - no one has questioned that. The Moto Droid has better hardware, and ships with the stock ("Google Experience") Eclair, while the Eris is running a Verizon-ized Cupcake. Don't be misled in to thinkin the Eris is more capable simply because it comes with all that flashy HTC Sense UI stuff; the hacker community is eager to bring Sense UI to the Moto Droid once there's a root available.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 05:09:49 pm »
So moto takes better advantage of android, but possibly a less physically aesthetic phone.  OK.

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 06:28:01 pm »
The price is already $99 with a contract.

The special is that it is $99 without a contract.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:21 pm »
So moto takes better advantage of android, but possibly a less physically aesthetic phone.  OK.
The Eris has a better keyboard, but that's a Sense UI thing, which will be ported to the droid by the hacker community in time.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 11:50:30 pm »
i dont hold my breath for the hacker community when it comes to my computer, why would i do it for my phone?
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger