Author Topic: New computer  (Read 2271 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
New computer
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:34:50 pm »
So I'm looking at getting a new computer, building it with a budget from $1-2k, most preferrably on the low end of that. I haven't been keeping up-to-date in my PC parts, so I started looking up reviews on certain parts. I'm debating between AMD and Intel cores, the Core i7's look nice but are also way fucking expensive. The Phenom X4's that I saw are similarly (or better) spec'd as some of the Core i7's and were cheaper [albeit with slightly more energy usage]. SO, the starting blocks: Which processor would you recommend and why? Documents supporting your opinion would be much appreciated.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: New computer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:04:57 pm »
You'll need to get some pricey DDR3 to make the i7 worth the cost, but that's just adding more money.  You're better off going with the Phenom and putting the money you saved from not getting the i7 into a better video card (or two less good ones in SLI or crossfire).

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:31 am »
i7 920 is reasonable priced/competitive, especially if you find a nice motherboard/RAM combo :)
I recommend 6GB expandable to 8 or 12 if you want something that's going to last a long time and handle some serious multitasking. 

Video cards are a dime a dozen and easy replaced, same with hard drives. Spend the bulk of your money on the cpu/motherboard/RAM (yes, you can upgrade RAM later but tech changes quickly and what is compatible now will probably not be on sale 3 years from now). Get a good quality power supply that fits your needs.  I'd choose a 500W Thermaltake over a 900W no-name any day :)

Don't bother with SLI/Crossfire if you aren't a supergamer.  You can't multi-monitor in those modes anyway!

Tom's is always the place to go for CPU benchmarks, Anandtech has good reviews on everything else.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:10:29 pm »
I recently built a new computer and I have an i7 and love it.
but yeah toms hardware is a good site to check out.
I will go home and give you a passmark test of my rig when I get home.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:56:22 pm »
i7 920 is reasonable priced/competitive, especially if you find a nice motherboard/RAM combo :)
I recommend 6GB expandable to 8 or 12 if you want something that's going to last a long time and handle some serious multitasking. 
A problem with the i7's that I've seen is they are *expensive*. The cheapest I saw was $289 and was out-spec'd by a $100 cheaper Phenom X4 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674 vs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343%201050744915&name=Core%20i7 ) in everything but the L3 cache.
Any motherboard I've been interested in has supported up to 24GB. How would I want to allocate the 6GB or however much I buy? All in one stick, or equally divided in 3 sticks, or equally divided in two sticks, etc..? I would think equally divided in 2 sticks for dual channel-ness, right?
Video cards are a dime a dozen and easy replaced, same with hard drives. Spend the bulk of your money on the cpu/motherboard/RAM (yes, you can upgrade RAM later but tech changes quickly and what is compatible now will probably not be on sale 3 years from now). Get a good quality power supply that fits your needs.  I'd choose a 500W Thermaltake over a 900W no-name any day :)

Don't bother with SLI/Crossfire if you aren't a supergamer.  You can't multi-monitor in those modes anyway!

Tom's is always the place to go for CPU benchmarks, Anandtech has good reviews on everything else.
I wasn't going to bother with SLI anyway. One good videocard is all I need at present, but I'm leaving my computer open for the possibility of supporting SLI. Is there something special they need to have, or just two PCIx16 slots?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 02:44:15 pm »
Supposedly it's now tri-channel, so you'll want to get three sticks.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:03:31 pm »
Hrmm... spend it on cake!
errr... something like that...