Author Topic: SC2 Beta activated for some Battle.net accounts  (Read 22771 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Re: SC2 Beta activated for some Battle.net accounts
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 11:11:09 am »
The graphics are better than WC3's, but they do look similar to the artistic cartoony style of WC3. I've got graphics on it at max and it looks good. I still cannot figure out why it took so long to be released. It honestly looks like WC3, with higher resolution models. I've heard many complaints about it feeling too zoomed in, but I didn't get that feeling personally.

For me, this game is going to be one that I opt to not purchase. And, if I ever do decide to it will most likely not be for the gameplay, but more so for checking out the new Battle.net stuff.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 04:32:59 pm »
On another note, starcraft 2 can run a wide range of computer specs.  I've seen people talk about playing it on netbooks at 20fps.
I call bs. Even Blizzard's own website says that shouldn't be possible. And at any rate, my desktop is god-awful..
1.15GHz/1GB RAM/64mb GeForce 3 Ti200.
Obviously if you run it on a netbook you'd have to run everything on low.  Seriously though, I've seen some people that opted in with terrible computers and they can play it fine on low.  You can run World of Warcraft on netbooks at 20fps.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »
My impression of system requirements is that they are more like an excuse to say "your computer sucks, get a new one" when you call support.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 05:33:38 pm »
My impression of system requirements is that they are more like an excuse to say "your computer sucks, get a new one" when you call support.
My impression has always been that, in the developers' eyes, to have a completely fulfilling experience playing their game, your computer should meet X requirements. And, seeing as how I probably have one of [if not the] worst desktop PC out of everyone here, let me safely tell you that playing games on their absolute lowest settings is *not* how they intended you to do it, nor is it as fun.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 06:41:50 pm »
My impression has always been that, in the developers' eyes, to have a completely fulfilling experience playing their game, your computer should meet X requirements. And, seeing as how I probably have one of [if not the] worst desktop PC out of everyone here, let me safely tell you that playing games on their absolute lowest settings is *not* how they intended you to do it, nor is it as fun.
I don't think the programmers have any say in the requirements.. though I'm not really sure who does. :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2010, 06:43:14 pm »
Well, with Blizzard games it seems that they go to an OEM website, find the specs of their lowest computer, divide them in half, and print them on the box.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 08:08:09 pm »
You're all being sarcastic, right?
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 11:16:18 pm »
I don't think the programmers have any say in the requirements.. though I'm not really sure who does. :)
I don't think they have a say in deciding from the planning stages what the requirements are, but the programmers will know throughout the course of programming/testing what runs the software optimally. I could very easily be wrong, though. Just my take on it.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 09:34:42 am »
I don't think they have a say in deciding from the planning stages what the requirements are, but the programmers will know throughout the course of programming/testing what runs the software optimally. I could very easily be wrong, though. Just my take on it.
I'm sure they do. Then they give those numbers to marketing, who ignore them. :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49:41 pm »
I'm sure [..] marketing [..] ignore[s] them. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 03:10:40 pm »
Your modified quote says the same thing as my original quote.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2010, 03:12:11 pm »

You're speculating... the fact remains that you can run a lot of games on computers that are much worse than the ones described in the "minimum requirements".

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:02 pm »
Your modified quote says the same thing as my original quote.

You should probably ignore it like everyone else.  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2010, 06:43:25 pm »
You're speculating... the fact remains that you can run a lot of games on computers that are much worse than the ones described in the "minimum requirements".
I guess that depends on what you mean by "run" a game. Sure you could play SC2 on a netbook at 20fps, but I'm betting it would be *awful* gameplay. I don't disagree that minimum requirements are inflated, but there is a certain quality that the company wants you to play with their game. As a personal anecdote, I played Max Payne which had specs that just slightly beat my own specs. And my experience wasn't that great. I have some more, better examples, but I'm saying playing a game when the developers did not intend you to play it at that low a level does not qualify as "running" a game.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »
lol... you're kind of funny.