Author Topic: Fall Schedules?!  (Read 16103 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Fall Schedules?!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 05:06:34 pm »
I find the question of "what is moral" pretty interesting, actually.  I think it's one of the more important fundamental questions we encounter.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 08:33:18 pm »
ethics sounds like more fun than php and mysql :)

Completely agree. I tried to get into an ethics class this quarter. Had I done that, I would have had class only on Tuesday/Thursday. Unfortunately, the ethics course was major-restricted, and since I haven't declared computer science as a second major yet I couldn't get in. So I'm in some algorithm class on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I like my current schedule, though. No finals stacked on the same day. :)

joe: Does the iPhone course count towards anything major-wise? If not, I don't recommend taking it. You can learn that on your own. You'll just end up hating iPhone app development. =p

Not a major, but it counts towards an iPhone Developer certificate. I keep in touch with the instructor and he told me I basically already know the material for the whole first semester.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 10:19:44 pm »
"iPhone developer certificate" <-- ?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 02:20:37 am »
I go to a tech college. Basically, it earns me a sheet of paper saying "Madison Area Technical College thinks this guy might know a thing or two about iPhone development."

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 02:21:36 am »
So.. not worth the paper it's printed on?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 09:52:18 pm »
Blaze, if you were assembling a team of programmers to write iPhone applications, would you hire a guy with a degree in programming which focused on VB.NET and PHP, or a guy with that degree with a certificate for completion of an iPhone development course, with the latter half taught by a developer who has had his application featured on the App Store.

I'd take the second guy too.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 10:24:25 pm »
Blaze, if you were assembling a team of programmers to write iPhone applications, would you hire a guy with a degree in programming which focused on VB.NET and PHP, or a guy with that degree with a certificate for completion of an iPhone development course, with the latter half taught by a developer who has had his application featured on the App Store.

Where on earth do you get a programming degree based on VB.net & PHP? Any CS program I know of teaches C, Java, at a bare minimum.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 10:35:43 pm »

Where on earth do you get a programming degree based on VB.net & PHP? Any CS program I know of teaches C, Java, at a bare minimum.

I'm wondering the same...

Most degree plans at least touch scripting, Java, C/C++ and some other more pedagogical language (Haskell, etc...).

Any degree that primarily focused on PHP was probably not a degree in CS.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 11:18:27 pm »

I'd rather just hire someone with a degree in computer science. You know, that major that actually encompasses learning some form of programming at some point; I'd rather the degree/qualification cover concepts that aren't specific to one language. =P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 11:43:37 pm »

Web Design courses might give degrees for PHP...but.......nobody? gives degrees for VB.Net.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 04:53:39 am »
Nobody gives degrees for the language used for ASP.NET? Well damn.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 09:26:00 am »
Nobody gives degrees for the language used for ASP.NET? Well damn.

not computer science programs, anyway...