Author Topic: Age Differential  (Read 7322 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Age Differential
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 04:25:14 pm »
Scenario A:  A 25 y/o man is dating a 20 y/o woman.

Scenario B:  A 35 y/o man is dating a 30 y/o woman.

Society is pretty messed up in that it is less socially acceptable for scenario A to occur than scenario B, at least from my perception of how society views it.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Don't even get me started on how society somehow deems older woman dating a younger man as socially taboo.  Times are changing but as of now things like this seem more like a novelty than widespread social acceptance.

Both A and B are fine. However, a 20 year old dating a 15 year old is not. A five year difference means different things at different ages.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 11:47:05 am »
On this topic, I watched a (weird) movie last night called L.I.E. (Long Island Expressway). It's about an old pedophile grooming a kid, basically. The scary part is, the pedophile is legitimately a really nice guy (who happens to enjoy giving blowjobs to young boys). Really good movie.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »
On this topic, I watched a (weird) movie last night called L.I.E. (Long Island Expressway). It's about an old pedophile grooming a kid, basically. The scary part is, the pedophile is legitimately a really nice guy (who happens to enjoy giving blowjobs to young boys). Really good movie.

WTF.

Sounds like a Roman Polanski kind of movie, kek.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 08:56:20 pm »
Went out for drinks with my ex girlfriend last night. Her boyfriend (who she's living with) is a tad older (like 6 years), recently divorced, etc. It's a little weird, not going to lie.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 11:26:42 pm »
I was thinking about this today and came up with a few scenarios:

Can a freshman in college (18) date a senior in college? (22)
Can a freshman in high school (14) date a senior in high school? (18)
Can an 8th grader (13) date a junior in high school? (17)

I'd say definitely, iffy, and absolutely not. The difference in the last two bother me.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 12:23:44 am »
It isn't just the 5 years that matters, it's the relative difference too.  25 dating 20 is not that strange.  But the relative difference is a lot bigger than say, 65 dating 60.  A 25 year old dating a 20 year old is somewhere between a 75 year old dating a 60 year old, and a 65 year old dating a 60 year old.
Beyond the relative difference, I would say it's more of a "where you are in your life" issue. As a 25 year old, you are most likely [unless you are in academia] settled into a career (be it by being in professional school or by being in the industry). As a 20 year old you are still trying to "find yourself": you don't necessarily have a career settled on, you haven't fully socially developed, etc. Hence I think it's "weird" for a 25 year old to date a 20 year old, but I wouldn't freak out if it happened. It's less of an issue with a 30/25 yr old, etc etc. Obviously this all goes down the drain when legalities are broken or children are abused, etc.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 11:32:28 am »
I was thinking about this today and came up with a few scenarios:

Can a freshman in college (18) date a senior in college? (22)
Can a freshman in high school (14) date a senior in high school? (18)
Can an 8th grader (13) date a junior in high school? (17)

I'd say definitely, iffy, and absolutely not. The difference in the last two bother me.

The first one is definitely. Anything 18+ is acceptable. The larger the gap after 18+ just becomes kind of like "wow, the older person must be really rich." The second one is kind of like ... I don't know. It wouldn't have even happened in my high school. I know we would jokingly make fun of guys who dated girls even in the grade below us, as seniors. Granted, we had a lot of really good looking girls in our grade. I don't think I can not recall a single instance where a guy dated a freshman girl, in high school.

The last one is just ... no.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »
My high school was a little weird. When I was a sophomore, all of the girls in my class were dating seniors. When our senior year rolled around, almost all the guys agreed that the girls in our class were total bitches for doing that. So, the guys asked the juniors and sophomores out, and the senior girls went to prom alone or with their girlfriends. Thus, the cycle continued.
errr... something like that...

Offline Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »
I think any social taboos about who dates who are retarded. Age, gender, race, etc -- who cares? I'm fine with older/younger, homosexual, mixed race, even polygamy -- I don't see how any of it hurts me, and if it makes the people happy, that's great!

Yes!
Quote from: Joe
[23:55:31] [william@enterprise ~/Documents/Programming/javaop2]$ svn commit -m 'Tried to fix StayConnected. Again.'
Committed revision 63.
StayConnected strikes back!