Author Topic: Important news!  (Read 53934 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Re: Important news!
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 12:25:49 pm »
He told me he had known since he was in elementary school.  He and I have been friends since 8th grade and I always had a feeling, but I wasn't going to pressure him about it.  The first person he actually came out to was a girl he was on a date with.  That was probably super awkward for the both of them.  He just recently told his parents, but his mom and sister said they already suspected as such and his dad was fine with it.

Also, happy 1988th birthday (though I see the problem is fixed now, and it says 22 like it should :( )
Thanks!  Are you sure that was a lie?  Perhaps 22 is a lie?!
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 12:31:08 pm »
He told me he had known since he was in elementary school.  He and I have been friends since 8th grade and I always had a feeling, but I wasn't going to pressure him about it.  The first person he actually came out to was a girl he was on a date with.  That was probably super awkward for the both of them.  He just recently told his parents, but his mom and sister said they already suspected as such and his dad was fine with it.
Haha, that's awesome. Great to hear, and congrats to him! I'd say I've known, in a very vague way, since I was maybe 12. But I didn't understand for a couple years, or really accept it for a couple more life. Such is life. :)

I think society is really messed up on the whole issue. People should be left to choose their preferences, not be told them and have to admit when they are different. But, what can you do?

Also, happy 1988th birthday (though I see the problem is fixed now, and it says 22 like it should :( )
Thanks!  Are you sure that was a lie?  Perhaps 22 is a lie?!
Haha :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2010, 02:54:00 pm »
I think society is really messed up on the whole issue. People should be left to choose their preferences, not be told them and have to admit when they are different. But, what can you do?
Kill the unbelievers.

......Oh, wait...

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2010, 08:21:16 pm »
What are your thoughts on the hypothesis that homosexuality is a natural form of human population control?
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2010, 10:19:19 pm »
What are your thoughts on the hypothesis that homosexuality is a natural form of human population control?
Honestly, no idea. But that's hypothesis seems to require nature to have an intelligence of some form, which is a tough assumption for me.

For cause, I don't know. I can't even tell you for sure whether it's nature or nurture, though I suspect nature.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2010, 09:35:03 am »
I'm happy that you've decided to be open about this.  It's nothing to feel bad about.  I'm also not surprised.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:28 am »
Honestly, I've suspected it for awhile... from various pieces of information that I've picked up over time from your mannerisms, posts, opinions, habits, etc. just increasingly started to appear on my gaydar.  Never thought it important enough to even bring up though.  It's none of my business and it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of, despite what society and religion has cropped it up to be.

What's ironic is that I think there are a whole lot more non-heterosexuals (sexuality is non-linear) than most people think, and probably a lot more of the greatest minds and figures in history were not straight, we just will never know about it.  Whether or not someone is gay or straight does not define them, it's a shame that today such a big deal is made out of it that it ends up doing so.  Alan Turing was a homosexual and to this day is a significant contributor to the field of CS and AI.

Honestly, no idea. But that's hypothesis seems to require nature to have an intelligence of some form, which is a tough assumption for me.

For cause, I don't know. I can't even tell you for sure whether it's nature or nurture, though I suspect nature.

I would guess nature, but it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.  It could be that nature lays the foundation (to a variable level of completeness), and nurture has the possibility to inhibit whether the foundation is further built upon or completed.  Who knows.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:46:10 am by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2010, 11:13:39 am »
What's ironic is that I think there are a whole lot more non-heterosexuals (sexuality is non-linear) than most people think, and probably a lot more of the greatest minds and figures in history were not straight, we just will never know about it.  Whether or not someone is gay or straight does not define them, it's a shame that today such a big deal is made out of it that it ends up doing so.  Alan Turing was a homosexual and to this day is a significant contributor to the field of CS and AI.
That brings up something I'm *really* curious about: what percentage of men (and women) are *actually* gay/bi?

Taking into account the number of people who are open, who haven't told anybody, and who are in denial, I suspect it's a lot higher than we ever know.

I also find it kind of funny the number of people that responded "I'm not surprised" -- I've gotten that in real life, too. I think part of it is hindsight being 20/20 and putting together the pieces afterwards is easier, but it's true that I have never tried to hide it and I have defended the lifestyle and commented on it more than a couple times here. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:16:30 am by iago »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 12:42:53 am »
So, for what it's worth, I told my dad and stepmom tonight, which basically makes everybody in my life who matters (family + friends).

Yay!

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 05:18:19 am »
How'd that go?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2010, 08:45:18 am »
Couldn't really tell, to be honest. I told him and my stepmom over the phone, and she basically took over the conversation afterwards, and I talked to her about it (with him present) for quite awhile. He said he was ok a couple times and all that, but it's hard to tell. I guess I'll find out next time I talk to him alone. :)

He's the most homophobic person I know, I think, although that isn't saying much. I wouldn't say he's that bad at all, really.

Meh, he'll get used to the idea. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2010, 09:41:45 am »
methinks iago should move to san francisco.  who's with me?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2010, 10:41:13 am »
San Francisco is awesome for vegan food. I'm in! :P

But seriously, I wouldn't want to live in the US (permanently).. the government scares the crap outta me. :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »
The average US farmer owns three shotguns. The military has nothing on them.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2010, 07:55:04 pm »
The average US farmer owns three shotguns. The military has nothing on them.

That's funny.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...