Author Topic: New Rig  (Read 18703 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: New Rig
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 12:29:58 pm »
The reasoning behind my card is that I will be playing on Ultra while on-the-fly encoding and streaming the games.  If it was just a matter of playing, I'd get something cheaper.

Thanks for the tip about the HDD, though, I hadn't noticed that.  Switched out the drive for another, and in the end it only cost another $5.

I really doubt that work load would load that GTX 470.  I ran numerical experiments on the GTX 470 achieving 100x speedups over 8 core machines (it can spawn hundreds of thousands of threads, each with its own independent set of registers). Fermi is nVidia's latest architecture released just months ago.  If you pay another $200, you can get the GTX 480 with 48 additional CUDA cores and 300MB additional video RAM.  It's still $200 cheaper than listed ATi and supports OpenGL 3.x (I'm sure you can find ATi with OpenGL support).  nVidia's drivers are also better than FireGL for Linux and the only option for FreeBSD.

As for AMD.  I was frightened by the price difference, but these benchmarks are more frightening for the X6.  The i7-975 is disproportionately (!!) faster than my processor, which is still quite faster than the slowest i7 which is still faster than the X6.  I wanted an i7-980 but couldn't see paying $1k for a processor and compromised for the i7-950.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:31:55 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »
I noticed your PSU isn't modular.  It doesn't matter that much if you have a big case, but even so, it's nice to keep the case nice and clear of excess wires.  Have a look at my PSU ... it has nice solid attachable cables, although it's a tad more expensive.  For the mid tower case I got, a modular PSU was very necessary.  Things got really tight with the few cables I used as it was.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 02:44:26 pm »
Yeah, I'm getting an Antec 1200 for the case, and I'll be running Windows anyway, so drivers aren't my biggest concern.  I'm confused about paying $200 more for the 480 and it being $200 cheaper....Anyway, comparisons all show the 5970 outperforming the 480, except when 480 is in SLI, and even then it's not a big enough gain to justify the extra price.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 03:45:46 pm »
Don't get ATi or AMD!  The Intel core i7s use less power (130W max), they have QPI and turbo boost.  You're also getting a 6Gb/s motherboard with a 3Gb/s disk.  Why not spend an extra $40 on the 1TB WD with 6 Gb/s transfer rate (See list)?  You can also get an nVidia Fermi card for $350 that will play SC II with all settings turned up to maximum just fine.  Not to mention, the Fermi cards support both hardware DirectX 11 and OpenGL 3.x (The ATi one you listed shows only DirectX 11).

Here's my setup:

Price: ~ $1700 (with rebates and specials)

Picture ... too big to include in post.

is that a keyboard from the stone ages? haha. upgrade that, man.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 03:49:50 pm »
Dude, if you want a keyboard like that save the $70, paypal me $5 for shipping and I'll send you three. Available in PS2 only.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 04:03:47 pm »
I already have a keyboard....it's not too great but it's a low priority item.  I plan to pick up a Cherry sometime later.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 01:28:39 am »
Dude, if you want a keyboard like that save the $70, paypal me $5 for shipping and I'll send you three. Available in PS2 only.

You do realize what kind of keyboard that is, right?  $70 is actually cheap compared to original IBM Model M keyboards which sell for $100+. They are legendary!  I love my original 1987 Model M so much I decided to buy a Unicomp for the new machine. Unicomp owns the patent, design, and equipment to manufacture the IBM Model Ms, but rebranded.

Buy original IBM Model M keyboards and parts here:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

Just compare the prices (Lexmarks don't count ... nobody wants those)!  By the way ... these keyboards are indestructible! I don't even know how Unicomp turns a profit.  People still use the original 30 year old keyboards, let alone brand new identical ones with the Unicomp brand name.

Clean your Model M:
http://www.preater.com/modelm/

P.S. Buckling spring makes these keyboards unique.  They have a certain feel and sound that rubber dome (modern) keyboards lack.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:52:17 am by nslay »

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 01:46:01 am »
Don't get ATi or AMD!  The Intel core i7s use less power (130W max), they have QPI and turbo boost.  You're also getting a 6Gb/s motherboard with a 3Gb/s disk.  Why not spend an extra $40 on the 1TB WD with 6 Gb/s transfer rate (See list)?  You can also get an nVidia Fermi card for $350 that will play SC II with all settings turned up to maximum just fine.  Not to mention, the Fermi cards support both hardware DirectX 11 and OpenGL 3.x (The ATi one you listed shows only DirectX 11).

Here's my setup:

Price: ~ $1700 (with rebates and specials)

Picture ... too big to include in post.

is that a keyboard from the stone ages? haha. upgrade that, man.

You've never used the IBM Model M apparently.  There's a reason people pay $70 for that keyboard.  See my response to Joe.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 01:56:48 am »
Yeah, I'm getting an Antec 1200 for the case, and I'll be running Windows anyway, so drivers aren't my biggest concern.  I'm confused about paying $200 more for the 480 and it being $200 cheaper....Anyway, comparisons all show the 5970 outperforming the 480, except when 480 is in SLI, and even then it's not a big enough gain to justify the extra price.

The GTX 470 is $349 and the GTX 480 is $499.  I don't know how it benches with the 5970.  All I know is that it's nVidia's newest architecture and I'd be surprised if it couldn't handle your load.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 02:39:25 am »
I have a model M. It's not that great, unless I want to wake up the whole family when I'm doing homework late at night.

Now, the Mac Plus in that picture is awesome. Still runs just fine with it's external 20MB hard drive, which will also wake up the whole family.

EDIT -
Also featured in the picture, a plate that says "Hello x86", a hammer, a bowling trophy, my girlfriends sewing machine, and my elbow. And yes, the picture is backwards.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 08:53:32 am »
I have a model M. It's not that great, unless I want to wake up the whole family when I'm doing homework late at night.
I disagree.  A large community of computer enthusiasts also disagree.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 09:29:39 am »
Buckling spring and Cherry (mostly Black and Red) type boards are hugely popular in professional gaming.  Not to mention they last far longer than rubber dome and slim keyboards.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 10:01:40 am »

and that makes it right!

seriously... those keyboards are lame.  I've used them too, and I still feel like I'm in the 1980s when I use one.  Maybe that's why people like them ;)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 12:46:15 pm »

A dog ate a bowl of dog food yesterday, also.

Personally, I'd rather have the Steelseries g6v2. It's not out yet, though.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 01:43:28 pm »
No lame windows keys either.

Model M and their descendants are real keyboards.  Who in their right mind would add and standardize keys that are specific to one piece of software?