Author Topic: New Rig  (Read 18709 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: New Rig
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 02:01:25 pm »
The logo is Windows, but it functions as a Meta/Hyper/Super key (it can be changed on Linux, <3!)  It's pretty annoying companies use the Windows logo for the key though.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 02:25:01 pm »
The logo is Windows, but it functions as a Meta/Hyper/Super key (it can be changed on Linux, <3!)  It's pretty annoying companies use the Windows logo for the key though.

Unicomp will send you Apple meta keycaps upon request if you buy their PC104 keyboards :)
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 02:54:30 pm »
What I mean is there should be a Meta symbol, not the Windows thingy or the Apple thingy.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 03:43:31 pm »
and that makes it right!

seriously... those keyboards are lame.  I've used them too, and I still feel like I'm in the 1980s when I use one.  Maybe that's why people like them ;)
Hahahah. I +1 this post for awesomeness. I used to own several of those and have used many at my work. They are atrocious. In addition to being completely uncomfortable (for reference, I like split ergonomic keyboards) they're also just annoyingly loud. I don't need to hear my keyboard as I'm pressing buttons, tyvm.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 10:18:51 pm »
Google's sophisticated page ranking system turns up contradictory results for the query: "IBM Model M" sucks

So basically, Google's page ranking system doesn't think it sucks which implies most websites and links to websites about Model M and Google users don't think it sucks.  Therefore, it's not a widely held opinion that it sucks.  Therefore, it likely doesn't suck.  Regardless of general opinion, I think it's absolutely awesome to program with.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 12:19:57 am »
Regardless of general opinion, I think it's absolutely awesome to program with.

Because everyone in your neighborhood knows when you're programing? :P

(I like those keyboards too. But eh, I'm not picky when it comes to keyboards. Not having a preference makes things simple.)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:19 am »
Regardless of general opinion, I think it's absolutely awesome to program with.

Because everyone in your neighborhood knows when you're programing? :P

(I like those keyboards too. But eh, I'm not picky when it comes to keyboards. Not having a preference makes things simple.)

It's loud relative to rubber dome.  However, in absolute, it's not really that loud.  People tend to exaggerate.  I used to bring my Model M to the office and cubicle neighbors did not find it terribly loud and were not even irritated by it.  Let's not forget about the white noise factor.

The white noise factor is the tendency for the brain to filter out a particular noise ... keyboards and chiming clocks are excellent examples.  I often don't even notice my cuckoo clock chime even though it's right next to me!  Of course, I've had it for years too ...

I think people tend to use experience as a benchmark (i.e. people tend to be relativistic).  When you've typed on rubber domes for most of your life, good God, Model M is loud!  But relative to talking cubicle neighbors and other office noises ... not really. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 05:06:30 pm »
rabbit, your tentative rig board has onboard video and PATA.  Surely you can find a similar board lacking PATA and onboard video that is cheaper... Maybe you can find a board with a faster non-overclocked memory standard.

There's also a combo deal for your processor.  $750 for your processor and a 2GB Radeon 5870.  So, it's not as good as your 5970, but a lot cheaper.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 05:21:45 pm »
Hey rabbit, check this motherboard out.  It supports DDR3 1600 (yours is only DDR3 1333), no onboard video, and has USB 3.0 ports.  There's also this combo deal with your processor.  Instant $30 off ... not as good as the 5870 + Phenon II X6 combo I posted earlier (-$45).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 06:10:14 am »
LOL.  You think I care what the widely held opinion is?  If I did, I'd be Christian, I wouldn't be a nerd, and I'd probably try a lot harder to be a manly man.

"Defense by Google".  I hope you're trolling. :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 07:03:37 am »
According to google images, this guy is the coolest guy ever.

http://www.angelzfunnyz.com/Portals/0/Gallery/Album/8/Too%20Cool.jpg

And thus it is true!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 07:18:01 am »
Dammit people, keep this crap out of my thread.  I'm actuall trying to build the best rig I can, and I'm spending a lot of money on it.  This isn't a "omg I want this stuff", it's "I'll be ordering it in 3 weeks".

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 10:07:30 am »
LOL.  You think I care what the widely held opinion is?  If I did, I'd be Christian, I wouldn't be a nerd, and I'd probably try a lot harder to be a manly man.

Well, you and others have opined that my keyboard sucks and that I ought to care what you think and buy a new one.  Right?

Example:
is that a keyboard from the stone ages? haha. upgrade that, man.

So, if I should care what the majority of the community of nerds think, I should think that the Model M and it's descendants are awesome apparently.  Originals are mostly sold out, they sell successfully for $100+ as new old stock, it made NPR, Unicomp is still in business, and gee, Google doesn't turn up results of anyone bad mouthing it.  Rabbit claims they are popular in professional gaming ... so yeah, the community seems to love Model M and it's descendants.

Of course, I'm an original owner of a 1987 Model M (from an IBM PS/2 we had when I was growing up) and always loved it regardless of general opinion.  I merely found out of its popularity through wikipedia, and I quote
Model M keyboards have been prized by computer enthusiasts and heavy typists because of the tactile and auditory feedback resulting from a keystroke.

Anything else?

While we've been arguing about my keyboard, I've been making all sorts of suggestions to rabbit about his new rig.  Why not you guys?

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 11:40:11 am »
While we've been arguing about my keyboard, I've been making all sorts of suggestions to rabbit about his new rig.  Why not you guys?

Because you're doing such a good fucking job of it, man. Keep it up. I only suggested getting a quality PSU because it blows donkey cock having to figure out what the fuck is causing your computer to reboot while playing a computer game, only to have it be your PSU. My only other advice would be to do what I did, just go buy an Intel i7, preferably with a mobo combo deal. Buy some kick ass RAM. Buy a Radeon 5870. Frag some faggots.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 05:07:17 pm »

Well, you and others have opined that my keyboard sucks and that I ought to care what you think and buy a new one.  Right?

Example:
is that a keyboard from the stone ages? haha. upgrade that, man.

So, if I should care what the majority of the community of nerds think, I should think that the Model M and it's descendants are awesome apparently.  Originals are mostly sold out, they sell successfully for $100+ as new old stock, it made NPR, Unicomp is still in business, and gee, Google doesn't turn up results of anyone bad mouthing it.  Rabbit claims they are popular in professional gaming ... so yeah, the community seems to love Model M and it's descendants.

Oh, I'm not suggesting you buy a new one.  If you like it more than other keyboards, then by all means stick with it.  I'm bickering because you seem to think it's in some way functionally superior to more modern keyboards.  If it's aesthetic or nostalgic or something, then I understand, and I can't argue with that.

Of course, I'm an original owner of a 1987 Model M (from an IBM PS/2 we had when I was growing up) and always loved it regardless of general opinion.  I merely found out of its popularity through wikipedia, and I quote
Model M keyboards have been prized by computer enthusiasts and heavy typists because of the tactile and auditory feedback resulting from a keystroke.

That's cool and all, but I hate the feeling and the sound of clicky keys.  It makes me feel like I'm on an old computer for some reason, and I don't like that. :)

Anything else?

because I'm naughty, of course.