Author Topic: Dear Blizzard  (Read 26432 times)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
Dear Blizzard
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »
Go fuck yourself. It is obvious that you are not going to stop pushing your Real ID bullshit. Keep your social networking garbage the fuck out of my video games. You can take SC2, cataclysm, and diablo 3 and shove them, because I am done with you.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Dear Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »
Yeah, fuck 'em!

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:43:16 am »
To be more specific:

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626109041

Your FULL name will be displayed on the official forums when you make a post.  No, there isn't an option to disable this - the only way to avoid it ( obviously ) it to avoid posting on the forums.

[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:35:29 am »
Yeah, I'm not buying sc2/d2.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:36:37 am »
Go fuck yourself. It is obvious that you are not going to stop pushing your Real ID bullshit. Keep your social networking garbage the fuck out of my video games. You can take SC2, cataclysm, and diablo 3 and shove them, because I am done with you.

nerrrdd raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:56:10 am »
When logging into the new Battle.Net forums, you will instead be redirected to Facebook.  Please send all questions and feedback to donotreply@blizzard.com.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:41:26 pm »
http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Americans-are-bad-at-games/Real-Names-on-the-Official-Forums-New-REAL-ID-function?gr_i_ni

Oh, oh!  Post #57 on the official forums is me!  Along with a few more after.  It's funny how people don't see how this is an issue.  Oh well, no more posting on the forums for me.  I don't need some basement dweller hunting me down IRL because I called him bad.

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:43:23 pm »
Just don't use their forums then.  Does it affect game play too?

Still, social networking creeping into all corners of the Internet is scary ... Orwell almost got it right. It isn't the government watching you, it is corporations and advertisers.  Or maybe it's the masses who bought into social networking that enabled them in the first place?  Nothing like giving away your name, address, birthday, favorite vacation spots, favorite restaurants, persistent to-the-minute status updates, friends' addresses, tagged photographs, e-mails, instant messages, bulletin board messages, search queries, and various add-on apps and toolbars that siphon more information from unsuspecting users - all under the veil of innocent applications such as keeping contact with friends, searching the Internet, reading e-mail, etc ... You realize this is how Google, Facebook, MySpace, etc... keep shop open right?
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 10:04:03 pm »
SC2 is heavily integrated with Facebook, or so I've heard. Yeah, count me out. I liked it when it was channel-based, and with this and the move to one-on-one IM support, they're doing a lot of wrong here.

And yeah, the easy solution is to... not use their shitty forums. I mean, we have here, right? We'll never force you to use real names here. Ever. iago would never allow it! :P

Although I mean it's not all so bad..

Nothing like giving away your name, address, birthday, favorite vacation spots, favorite restaurants, persistent to-the-minute status updates, friends' addresses, tagged photographs, e-mails, instant messages, bulletin board messages, search queries, and various add-on apps and toolbars that siphon more information from unsuspecting users - all under the veil of innocent applications such as keeping contact with friends, searching the Internet, reading e-mail, etc ... You realize this is how Google, Facebook, MySpace, etc... keep shop open right?

All the information I put on Facebook I realize is 100% public domain. That's why I don't put anything I wouldn't want employers to know up! I don't care if they know about my favorite TV shows, for instance. Or my hobbies.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 11:30:26 pm »
I've migrated to the mmo-champion forums.

I'm pretty sure that site will be getting quite a bit more traffic over the next few months.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:18:54 am »
I don't particularly like this. Obviously everyone here knows who I am, but I'd like to add my guildies with Real ID so I can talk to them when I'm playing on a realm with IRL friends or what not. Unfortunately, not only do they get my real name (which is a big deal - I'm pretty sure there's only one William LaFrance in Wisconsin, let alone going to Madison Area Tech College and working at Kalahari Resort, which my guildies know), but all their Real ID friends also do. I confirmed this - I added a classmate with Real ID and I'm able to see the full names of his friends.

This is the worst thing Blizzard has ever done, even dwarfing sticking Australia in with Southeast Asia and not responding until the 20th page, and still not giving a reason.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Hdx

• The Hdx!
  • <3 Java/Cpp/VB/QB
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 06:26:32 am »
This only leads to fake 'read ids', what else is there going to be?
Its a huge privacy concern for those who are to stupid to know how to fake things.
And then you can get punished (your accounts closed and shit like that) for simply wanting privacy.
And yes, this effects in-game as well, which is really retarded. If it was just the forums, I would not care.
http://img140.exs.cx/img140/6720/hdxnew6lb.gif
09/08/05 - Clan SBs @ USEast
 [19:59:04.000] <DeadHelp> We don't like customers.
 [19:59:05.922] <DeadHelp> They're assholes
 [19:59:08.094] <DeadHelp> And they're never right.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 07:00:12 am »
Blizzard is deleting posts stating, suggesting, hinting at, or even mentioning using a fake name for real ID.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 08:52:05 am »
Who are they to not believe me when I say may name is Batman Batman?!  They don't require name verification from any other people, they're just targeting me for my clearly awesome name!