Author Topic: Linus Torvalds interview.  (Read 2654 times)

Offline mynameistmp

• Hi! I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Linus Torvalds interview.
« on: June 09, 2005, 03:41:44 am »
Linux Magazine did an interview with Linus Torvalds back in January that they now released on their webpage for those of you that didn't pick up the issue.

http://www.linux-mag.com/content/view/59/2201/

One interesting quote I noticed was this one:
The two will co-exist for a long time, though. I personally also feel that ppc64 is interesting, and that’s actually what I run on my personal desktop( it’s a dual G5 Apple box, although it obviously runs Linux, not OS X).

An Apple box!

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
Re: Linus Torvalds interview.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 05:47:23 am »
He must be dissapointed then, becasue over the next few years Apple will he phasing out IBM chips and including intel chips in their new computers.
Source: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html
-RoMi

Offline mynameistmp

• Hi! I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 03:01:43 pm »
I don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but Linus talks about that in the interview ;P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 03:46:31 pm »
Haha. Linus is such a communist. :D
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 05:28:38 pm »
Motorolla processors are awesome.

He must be dissapointed then, becasue over the next few years Apple will he phasing out IBM chips and including intel chips in their new computers.
Has any Apple representative said that? Theirs only reason they would, not proof. Saw the link. =/.

The interview link doesn't load for me.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 05:31:57 pm by Joe[x86] »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 06:08:40 pm »
Apple confirmed it a little while ago. Personally I think it's a good step for Apple but a bad enemy for Linux / Windows. Apple's technology is incredible, they use OpenGL for thier Windowing..cmon :].
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 11:06:48 pm »
I actually agree with him on a lot of concepts, but his talk, and everything I've been reading about x86-64, and other 64bit architecture makes me wish I had a box to play with it on, but anyway an intresting thing I saw was.

LM: Besides the Linux kernel, what other open source projects are being especially impactful in IT?

Torvalds: Well, there’s the obvious ones: Perl, Apache, and MySQL, which are already big in IT. But at the same time, I actually think an even bigger impact may be through the desktop efforts of KDE, GNOME, and Open Office. I think the development there will have a more visible impact to “regular users” in the long run.

That's pretty awesome. I, personally, would love to see more linux users. And one of the things that scare people away, is the claim that linux is 'hard,' and not user-friendly. (I disagree, but whatever.) If KDE, GNOME, and Open Office's efforts are increased, I think that would attract more windows users. Because, I know when I first started using linux I was pretty lost without KDE and GNOME, and I eventually felt comfortable enough to start using a console to get things done, and nowadays I'm comfortable on any window manager. But, I believe it began with those two for me, and I believe it's the same for many other users. So, I'd be glad to see any work done to them, and OpenOffice is also a big project pertaining to adapting windows users.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.