Author Topic: Should laptops be called Laptops or BurnLaps?  (Read 10218 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Should laptops be called Laptops or BurnLaps?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 08:53:29 pm »
Hahahaha.

My MBP runs pretty cool on my lap, though lately with it just collecting dust on my desk it tends to get really hot because the fans don't exactly spin well anymore.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 11:39:00 am »
Hey!  Can you get me a Fleshlight for cheap?

<3

lol.  the president of the company is actually a client of my former boss...haha.  retired FBI, father of five.  I was amused when I learned all of that.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 01:29:39 pm »

<3

lol.  the president of the company is actually a client of my former boss...haha.  retired FBI, father of five.  I was amused when I learned all of that.

Hahaha... that's kind of amusing.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »

<3

His name is Steve Shubin.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 03:49:02 pm »
I know...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 03:59:03 pm »
His name was Robert Paulson.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 04:00:52 pm »
huh?

president is now shubin.

/i google "robert paulson" & "fleshlight" and found lots of "his name is robert paulson" wut?

//edit: fightclub. i suck

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 10:57:08 pm »
When I had a laptop it used to overheat on my lap a lot.  I developed a pretty freakish looking rash and had to go to the doctor. 
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 12:13:04 am »
That's why companies don't officially refer to their products as "laptops", but instead refer to them as "Portable _____", "Notebooks", etc.  Most likely to protect themselves from lawsuits from idiot consumers.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 12:20:17 am »
I want to hear more about your wiener.

Also, my laptop idles around 60C, and it hurts to touch the trackpad.

That's really high!  Every laptop I've ever owned has idled at 40-50C (T series Thinkpads).  It gets around 60-75C when it's compiling world and kernel.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 12:26:34 am »
If your laptop is running so hot that you can feel heat from the touchpad or it's burning your lap while idling something is very wrong!  The culprit is ACPI ... update your drivers/BIOS.  If that doesn't fix it, your OS is a piece of crap.  Upgrade or move to something else. Windows XP is an excellent example of a piece of crap when it comes to laptops and ACPI.  I know so many people who have had overheating issues with XP laptops.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 03:26:41 am »

That's really high!  Every laptop I've ever owned has idled at 40-50C (T series Thinkpads).  It gets around 60-75C when it's compiling world and kernel.
Heh, when I DO something it hits 90 or so. Way too hot.

It has nothing to do with ACPI, at least on mine, the fans are set to max. Even with a proper cooling pad it's no good. The only time it runs right is if I put it on a decent sized fan (like, a standup fan). I blame it on being a Dell.. I've heard a lot of bad things about Dells' cooling systems.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 09:20:39 am »

It has nothing to do with ACPI, at least on mine, the fans are set to max. Even with a proper cooling pad it's no good. The only time it runs right is if I put it on a decent sized fan (like, a standup fan). I blame it on being a Dell.. I've heard a lot of bad things about Dells' cooling systems.

In Linux/FreeBSD, disable the fan in ACPI and then manually crank it up to the highest setting.  I don't know how to do this from Linux but I'm sure it can be done (In FreeBSD, it's done with sysctl).

You also might want to define what ACPI considers hot so it will properly throttle the processor.  On Thinkpads, hot isn't defined.  I usually set it to 70C.  There's also a critical temperature you can define.  I set that to 90C.

The latter is a better solution than the former.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 10:18:53 am »

In Linux/FreeBSD, disable the fan in ACPI and then manually crank it up to the highest setting.  I don't know how to do this from Linux but I'm sure it can be done (In FreeBSD, it's done with sysctl).

You also might want to define what ACPI considers hot so it will properly throttle the processor.  On Thinkpads, hot isn't defined.  I usually set it to 70C.  There's also a critical temperature you can define.  I set that to 90C.

The latter is a better solution than the former.

I got a program that interfaces with the Dell bios and changes the fan. I set it to maximum speed always, and it doesn't help much. I also got a cooling pad that I put my laptop on, which brings it down to 51C when it's idle, but it's no match for the heat of processing.

My plan is to wait till this one burns out, then get a good powerful desktop. I'm sick of laptops.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity