Author Topic: New Year's Resolutions  (Read 8980 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:29 am »
I try to continuously identify and correct problems in my life.
I used to try and commit to a resolution or two at the beginning of the year, but I never really stuck with them.  I feel that the only way to change anything in my life is to constantly evaluate myself and change things then, or put into motion steps that will eventually change whatever the undesirable trait/etc is.

dissolve my social-filters and guilt, perhaps even to the extreme of being absolutely intolerable and able to justify killing.

It's a good exercise to try and see what (irrational social values) we take for granted as "normal".  It's also true that we often feel guilty when we ought not to, largely because of misplaced social values.  But guilt in itself is not a bad thing.  In fact, I believe it is an essential human response, lacking only in sociopaths.  It is part of what gives us intrinsic 'moral' values -- qualities I respect in people and without which the human race would not survive.  So I do not think dissolving your guilt (in its entirety) is a good exercise.
This doesn't normally happen, but I am going to have to say I agree with Rule. :O
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
base my self-worth less on other people's perception of me, and more upon my responsiveness to the moment.
I base my self worth on the number of Twitter followers I have. It's nice that I can graph it!

It's a good exercise to try and see what (irrational social values) we take for granted as "normal".
I'm a huge fan of evaluating built-in social values. I've always been a bit of a square peg in a world full of round holes, so that's forced me to think about how/why things work the way they do more than most people.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 11:44:24 am »
I dont have a new years resolution, but for the last three weeks I've become more physically active.  I want to trim down.  I'm 5'10" and weigh 170lbses.  Would like to drop 15ish.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 11:47:11 am »
I dont have a new years resolution, but for the last three weeks I've become more physically active.  I want to trim down.  I'm 5'10" and weigh 170lbses.  Would like to drop 15ish.

170 pounds for 5'10" seems perfectly healthy in my head, am I wrong?  :\
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »
I'm sure I'm healthy (well, sans my booze and smokes, which I've also cut drastically back on).  I am not obese, I just want to be trim.  More of a vain/aesthetic kinda thing.  haha.  Honestly, I'd say I'm far thinner than the average person in my geographic location.  Either way, I'd just like to look a little better.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »
I'm 6' and 230lbs. I was, at some point in the past, 260lbs. I don't have a scale so I haven't carefully tracked my weight, but I know I've dropped 30lbs in the past couple years, and I hope to do the same over again.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:53 pm »
Whenever I hear anyone say 'Well, I just want to lose a little bit more' I think of this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAPDvo2UBM ; not to imply you have a problem.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 02:42:13 pm »
Whenever I hear anyone say 'Well, I just want to lose a little bit more' I think of this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAPDvo2UBM ; not to imply you have a problem.  :)
I *would* lose a lot of excess weight if I cut off my legs.. I mean, I work from home anyway, it's not like I'd notice..

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 03:21:40 pm »
dissolve my social-filters and guilt, perhaps even to the extreme of being absolutely intolerable and able to justify killing.

It's a good exercise to try and see what (irrational social values) we take for granted as "normal".  It's also true that we often feel guilty when we ought not to, largely because of misplaced social values.  But guilt in itself is not a bad thing.  In fact, I believe it is an essential human response, lacking only in sociopaths.  It is part of what gives us intrinsic 'moral' values -- qualities I respect in people and without which the human race would not survive.  So I do not think dissolving your guilt (in its entirety) is a good exercise.
hahahah. I suppose I misspoke. I will always be a functioning member of society because it's in my self-interest, but I'd rather do so by choice than guilt, and I'd practice freedom rather than restraint so I don't accidentally silence a voice of genius before it's ever heard.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 11:13:15 am »

170 pounds for 5'10" seems perfectly healthy in my head, am I wrong?  :\

5'10" 150lbs would be a little underweight unless you're just skinny.  While I was working out in High School ( I'm 5'10" ), I was sitting at ~175/180lbs.  And I was by no means huge, but I was pretty solid.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 12:06:07 pm »
I've got a small frame.  *shrug*  Even when I was hitting the gym for building and eating lots of protein I worked up to like 160 or so and was lacking on the muscle mass.  I had strength, but no bulk.