Author Topic: USB Cable that Accepts Multiple Video Card Formats  (Read 6939 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
USB Cable that Accepts Multiple Video Card Formats
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »
Hey guys,

My friend is looking for a USB cable that accepts multiple video card formats/brands/etc. I guess it's kind of like an adapter. I don't know much about it, but he says it's sold "like everywhere", and I told him I would post the question on a forum.

Anyone know what these things are called and where you can find them?

Thanks

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: USB Cable that Accepts Multiple Video Card Formats
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:14:49 pm »
It would greatly help to post what he wants to do with whatever he's looking for because from what you've posted it's difficult to discern what exactly he's referring to.  It's not clear to me what he wants from saying "USB cable that accepts multiple video card formats/brands/etc." with the latter part "multiple video card formats/brands/etc" being rather ambiguous without knowing his intended purpose for whatever it is he's looking for.

Also, not clearly stating what the expected input/output source (i.e. USB) doesn't help to deduce what he's looking for.

He could be wanting anything from a simple adapter/converter to a KVM.  Even then adapting/converting USB input to VGA/DVI/HDMI output (or vice versa) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me without knowing what he's trying to accomplish.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:17:55 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:24:18 pm »
It would greatly help to post what he wants to do with whatever he's looking for because from what you've posted it's difficult to discern what exactly he's referring to.  It's not clear to me what he wants from saying "USB cable that accepts multiple video card formats/brands/etc." with the latter part "multiple video card formats/brands/etc" being rather ambiguous without knowing his intended purpose for whatever it is he's looking for.

Also, not clearly stating what the expected input/output source (i.e. USB) doesn't help to deduce what he's looking for.

He could be wanting anything from a simple adapter/converter to a KVM.  Even then adapting/converting USB input to VGA/DVI/HDMI output (or vice versa) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me without knowing what he's trying to accomplish.

It reads video data from a video card onto a computer through a USB adapter. It can accept multiple types of video cards - I'm talking about the memory cards you have on videocameras.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:55:35 pm »
It reads video data from a video card onto a computer through a USB adapter. It can accept multiple types of video cards - I'm talking about the memory cards you have on videocameras.
So he wants an SD/compactflash/etcetc card reader?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:20:01 am »
Yeah, those card readers are pretty common.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=69&name=Card-Readers

Is this what you're talking about?

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:31:19 am »

He could be wanting anything from a simple adapter/converter to a KVM.  Even then adapting/converting USB input to VGA/DVI/HDMI output (or vice versa) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me without knowing what he's trying to accomplish.

You're using the term "video card" in a horribly ambiguous and incorrect way.  As deadly has mentioned, an USB SD/compact flash/etc etc memory card reader is what your friend wants.  Please stop using the terminology "video card" in the manner you are, while you can store "video" on such a memory card, it's able to store more than just "video"...  I've met technologically handicapped sorority chicks who know the difference between an actual video card and flash memory storage they use for their digital camera.  Seriously I didn't think you were as technologically ignorant and impaired as my 80 year old grandmother, so I think you're just trolling.  
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:10:51 am »
Yeah, when I saw those post my mind thought, "USB to AGP or PCI-X?"
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:06:03 am »
Yeah, when I saw those post my mind thought, "USB to AGP or PCI-X?"
A USB 3.0 video card might be possible. The USB 3.0 bus has comparable speeds to the PCIe bus ... would still be super weird!

Welp, I better get going, I'm going to sit next to the original post ... bye!

Maybe your friend is talking about a USB TV Card? And by 'video format' he is referring to digital, analog, and antenna?
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:37:23 pm »

He could be wanting anything from a simple adapter/converter to a KVM.  Even then adapting/converting USB input to VGA/DVI/HDMI output (or vice versa) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me without knowing what he's trying to accomplish.

You're using the term "video card" in a horribly ambiguous and incorrect way.  As deadly has mentioned, an USB SD/compact flash/etc etc memory card reader is what your friend wants.  Please stop using the terminology "video card" in the manner you are, while you can store "video" on such a memory card, it's able to store more than just "video"...  I've met technologically handicapped sorority chicks who know the difference between an actual video card and flash memory storage they use for their digital camera.  Seriously I didn't think you were as technologically ignorant and impaired as my 80 year old grandmother, so I think you're just trolling.  

Grow up, please?

I've never once owned a videocamera, let alone transferred data from a videocamera to a computer. I didn't know what the "memory card" for a video camera was called. I see now that it is just a standard memory card.

(In fact, I've never used a memory card in my entire life.)

You should really learn not to insult people without good reason. In fact, I can't really think of a good reason *ever* to insult a person. It doesn't get you anywhere.

Yeah, those card readers are pretty common.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=69&name=Card-Readers

Is this what you're talking about?

That's exactly it. He's looking for a 7-in-1 card reader or something like that. I'm curious... are there card readers specific to videocameras, or do videocameras use pretty standard memory cards?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:51 pm »
You can get ridiculous like 75-in-1 readers that plug into USB. They're pretty cheap, though, and most computer stores (and even photography stores) sell them.

And yeah, I didn't realize what you were talking about either. :)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 09:48:03 pm »
When you've used laptops exclusively for the past four years, never play video games, and don't own any cameras etc. with removable media, you know jack shit about hardware.

It's also kind of a boring subject. It doesn't take a first-rate mind (let alone a third-rate mind) to do the hardware side of things... I'd say it's comparable to memorizing dates from a history book, with less dates involved.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 10:21:20 pm »
Anybody could know that, a mind as brilliant as my own need not worry about peasant things!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 02:18:21 am »
Anybody could know that, a mind as brilliant as my own need not worry about peasant things!

I'm sorry if I came across like that, but it's not fun to be insulted.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 05:15:45 am »
yeah, while1, that was a little lame.  what's the problem? >:(

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 05:20:48 am »
fight fire with fire. the ending is near.
Hitmen: art is gay