Author Topic: Brief refresher on C?  (Read 10192 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Brief refresher on C?
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:11 pm »
Google sucks at knowing that I want C and not CPP. Anyway, it's been a while since I've programed in C. Does anyone have a good small refresher in programming C? Preferrably online, not a paper book.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Brief refresher on C?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47:54 pm »
The best refresher on C is to go code something. I looked in my C folder (I have a programming folder, with a folder for each language I play with) and I have nothing of value there, so I did a quick Googling. this looks like a good crash course, and here's a book, although I haven't really looked at it.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:30 pm »
The K&R (1) book is the classic textbook, and it's also good as reference material. There's also the man pages. It's useful to poke around /usr/include and /usr/lib if you're on Unix, and it's also useful to refresh yourself on libc (2).

There's a ##C channel on freenode which is good for language-specific questions. Don't be scared off by the newbies - the people who answer questions usually know C pretty well.

I also wrote a packet sniffer and an IRC client in C. I uploaded them to sidoh's server. (3)

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language_%28book%29
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_standard_library
(3) http://ktm.sidoh.org/code/

Nota Bene: In addition, I'd strongly recommend familiarizing yourself with gdb and assembly. Also: linking, loading, and dynamic libraries. And, of course, memory management, if you're not familiar with it already.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:00:00 am »
The IRC C and UNIX crowds are almost certainly the wrong people to ask. These people won't help you with a refresher, they just want to be around each other, share links, and idle. Anyone who asks newbie-like questions will be severely punished.

The best place to look for help are programmer forums. This forum and rohitab are great programming forums.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »
How did I forget stackoverflow?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 03:14:19 pm »
I think the best way is to jump in headfirst.  Think of some project that sounds fun to you and go for it.

A sudoku solver is a pretty nice choice because it's somewhat simple, but still requires good use of some data structures and algorithms.