Author Topic: Rails  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Rails
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:06:29 pm »
What are peoples' thoughts regarding Ruby on Rails?

I've done PHP development off and on for about nine years now, and I've gotta say I find rails pretty refreshing in a lot of ways.  Sometimes it's very frustrating because it's difficult to make something exactly the way you want to without violating the tenants of rails, and I've never felt limited in this respect when it came to PHP.  Man is it nice to not have to muck around with SQL, though.  Active Records and associations are pretty beautiful.

Rapleaf uses rails, apparently, which is why I'm trying to familiarize myself with it.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Rails
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:29:52 pm »
What is wrong with SQL? Everyone uses SQL :-)

I think there has been a shift from "web sites" to "web applications". It seems like just about everyone is employing Rails, Spring-MVC, or ASP.NET. I don't think big companies ask anyone to write a web site in PHP anymore.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:20:42 pm »
I dislike Ruby as a language, and the rails framework functionality is available in PHP through Cake.  
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:24:36 am »
What is wrong with SQL? Everyone uses SQL :-)

I think there has been a shift from "web sites" to "web applications". It seems like just about everyone is employing Rails, Spring-MVC, or ASP.NET. I don't think big companies ask anyone to write a web site in PHP anymore.

I'm very comfortable with SQL.  I just think it's very tedious, redundant and unnecessary in a lot of cases.  I'm very fond of a lot of the principles rails forces upon a developer: test-driven development, MVC, etc.

I dislike Ruby as a language, and the rails framework functionality is available in PHP through Cake

Why do you dislike Ruby?  As far as interpreted languages go, I found it to be a breath of fresh air.  PHP, Perl and Python are all hideous messes compared to Ruby, in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong -- I'll still use all of them, but I think I've found a new toy I rather like.

I'm familiar with Cake.  It's nice, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as wholesome when compared to rails.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 10:54:07 am »
I like Ruby. I've never used Rails, but the site I'm working on right now will likely be done in ruby.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 02:13:22 pm »
I like Ruby. I've never used Rails, but the site I'm working on right now will likely be done in ruby.

Me too.  There's something very pleasing about it. :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:29:25 am »
I love Ruby. It's my shell scripting language of choice, now. For example, the camera at the hackerspace in town refreshes every 30 seconds. This downloads it every 10 seconds to avoid partial frames, and saves it as cam_datetime.jpg. In one line.

Code: [Select]
#! /usr/bin/ruby
loop { system(Time.now.strftime("curl http://http://camera.sector67.org/pics/sector.jpg -o cam_%Y%m%d%H%M%S.jpg")) if sleep(10) }
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.