Author Topic: Madison Wisconsin protests  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Madison Wisconsin protests
« on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:45 pm »
I'm sure you've all heard about them. What are your thoughts, and do you have any questions as to what the media is telling the truth or lying about? (Hint: If it's Faux News, it's lying).

I'll be back. Afk, capitol.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Madison Wisconsin protests
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:45 pm »
I'm not quite sure what's going on, but I'm ambivalent when it comes to unions.  I think I'm leaning towards 'against' unions that are partially funded by the State.

While there are many exceptions, a lot of teachers in the states suck.  They sit on their asses and rely on the fact that they're supported by a union.

My mother is a teacher.  She works her ass off, and some of her coworkers are ... less motivated.  It's frustrating.  I think it'd be a more healthy environment for the students if the teachers were a bit more on their toes.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:22:25 pm »
Collective bargaining is a mixed bag. It helps college bound kids, but it hurts the poor (so has been found here: http://www.yalelawjournal.org/images/pdfs/951.pdf).

I think unions HAD their purpose. Their purpose has been served.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:16:00 am »
Unions in the public sector are something even FDR hated, and he's often cited as the most liberal president. Although I can't say I agree with the way in which the anti-union deal was pushed through -- very slimeball-y.

"All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations ... The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for ... officials ... to bind the employer ... The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives ..."
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:49:14 pm »
I tend to agree with this. When there were things like child labor in factories, unbelievably unsafe working conditions, and forcing employees to work insane numbers of hours, unions were needed to make that reform. However, government workers usually don't have to deal with any of those issues unions fought to change.

I've only ever dealt with unions in my hometown. Originally, we had great snowplowing in the winter. Then, the city workers unionized, and we had shitty roads. And nothing said awesome like going into the courthouse and seeing 4 people on break and a line a 5 people being helped by one person.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:57:50 pm »
I tend to agree with this. When there were things like child labor in factories, unbelievably unsafe working conditions, and forcing employees to work insane numbers of hours, unions were needed to make that reform. However, government workers usually don't have to deal with any of those issues unions fought to change.

I've only ever dealt with unions in my hometown. Originally, we had great snowplowing in the winter. Then, the city workers unionized, and we had shitty roads. And nothing said awesome like going into the courthouse and seeing 4 people on break and a line a 5 people being helped by one person.

Sigh.  I remember the miners marching through the streets when they were on strike.

unions.  sigh.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »

Someone correct me if wrong, but wasn't it the case that in NY this winter that the union plowers and supervisors just decided to "fuck work" and let the city go to hell for a little while?

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:20 pm »
I'm against public unions.

It's a vicious cycle that can get out of control when you have public unions and publicly elected officials.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org