Author Topic: Noise-Cancelling Headphones  (Read 4676 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Noise-Cancelling Headphones
« on: April 26, 2011, 07:26:17 pm »
TLDR: Need a good pair. Price ~$200-300.

The perfect pair is:
-Cushioned/padded
-On the ear or over-the-ear... I am equally fine with either -- just want comfort! (I have huge ears)
-Decent sound quality, I don't much care if it's amazing
-I want it to be ... silent.. when I use the noise-cancelling. Not sure on a dB cutoff range, but I want to not have to listen to a room full of people
-WATERPROOF!!!!
-Able to turn on/off the noise cancelling (optional but handy)

I'm leaning towards Bose's QuietComfort series.. I have used a friend's and while the sound quality is only okay, which I'm fine with, they drown out everything.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Noise-Cancelling Headphones
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:33:49 pm »
waterproof? as in... you can swim with them?

You're totally against in-ear, then?  I recently got a pair of in-ear headphones that completely drown out ambient noise if there's a little bit of music playing.  The sound quality is excellent.  They were ~$70.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »
waterproof? as in... you can swim with them?
Nah. As in, if I'm using them while it's raining or snowing, which frequently happens here in Minnesnowta (getting snow tomorrow! WTF?) they shouldn't die.

You're totally against in-ear, then?  I recently got a pair of in-ear headphones that completely drown out ambient noise if there's a little bit of music playing.  The sound quality is excellent.  They were ~$70.
Yeah. My ears just don't like in-ear headphones and I've tried dozens of different types. Every time I use them my ears start to hurt.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:18 pm »
Ah, okay.  In a recent topic on another form, the OP was asking for headphones he could swim with.  Sorry for the confusion.

Fair enough, I suppose.  There are companies that will build you IEMs that are molded to your ear, so it probably wouldn't hurt.

Also, Shure makes some with memory foam... probably wouldn't hurt either.

Bose is overpriced, IMO.  The earbuds I have now have unbelievable sound quality (especially in the bass range -- it feels like I'm in a rice rocket with a $10K sound system), and they're cheaper than the Bose earbuds, which have noticeably worse sound quality.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:33:21 pm »
Just remember that they only cancel background noise.

I have yet to see a pair that could cancel out people talking.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:29:35 am »
I have http://www.cybertheater.com/bose-around-ear-headphones-at-12595/

Very comfortable and good sound quality.  Mine are currently broken after 4.5 years of very extensive use, but if I remember correctly, they were completely noise-cancelling.  Maybe I just listen to my music loudly, but I couldn't hear anything but my music while I had those on.  Absolutely love them.

As for waterproof though, not sure.  I always had my umbrella with me so if it was raining they were protected.  During the winter/snow they were fine and acted as nice ear muffs. :)
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 03:27:38 am »
Ah, okay.  In a recent topic on another form, the OP was asking for headphones he could swim with.  Sorry for the confusion.

Fair enough, I suppose.  There are companies that will build you IEMs that are molded to your ear, so it probably wouldn't hurt.

Bose is overpriced, IMO.  The earbuds I have now have unbelievable sound quality (especially in the bass range -- it feels like I'm in a rice rocket with a $10K sound system), and they're cheaper than the Bose earbuds, which have noticeably worse sound quality.
Hahaha. Why on earth would you want to swim with headphones on? That sounds super uncomfortable, unless you got wireless ones and left the receiver+ipod on the tiles.

Interesting, because I'd imagine you'd have to order those online--how would they know how to mold them?

I do agree Bose is overpriced and overhyped. Still, I'm not really looking for audiophile-quality stuff here. My needs are moreso "Shit's loud, need to ignore people and study" than "I want this to sound perfect." I'm not going to buy Bose and then come back here and start praising their amazing sound quality. :P

Untruth. I [think I] said in OP that I've borrowed a friend's Bose headphones for a bit and they legitimately cancelled out everything, including people talking at loud volumes.

I have http://www.cybertheater.com/bose-around-ear-headphones-at-12595/

Very comfortable and good sound quality.  Mine are currently broken after 4.5 years of very extensive use, but if I remember correctly, they were completely noise-cancelling.  Maybe I just listen to my music loudly, but I couldn't hear anything but my music while I had those on.  Absolutely love them.

As for waterproof though, not sure.  I always had my umbrella with me so if it was raining they were protected.  During the winter/snow they were fine and acted as nice ear muffs. :)
Interesting. Maybe I'll have to swing by Bose and just look at their inventory. Their sales staff are so effing pushy, bah.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 04:13:32 am »

Hahaha. Why on earth would you want to swim with headphones on? That sounds super uncomfortable, unless you got wireless ones and left the receiver+ipod on the tiles.

Interesting, because I'd imagine you'd have to order those online--how would they know how to mold them?

I do agree Bose is overpriced and overhyped. Still, I'm not really looking for audiophile-quality stuff here. My needs are moreso "Shit's loud, need to ignore people and study" than "I want this to sound perfect." I'm not going to buy Bose and then come back here and start praising their amazing sound quality. :P

I think they get waterproof MP3 players that you can clip onto your swimsuit.  Probably not so uncomfortable.  Sounds pretty nice, actually.  Probably not much different from wanting to listen to tunes while jogging.

I'm not sure how they work, but it's what you see professional musicians wearing during concerts (maybe Armin can pipe in?).  I also think they might be out of the 200-300 range, but they're probably about as comfortable as you can get since they're tailored to your ear.

Haha, fair enough.  I'm tellin' ya, though... these earbuds completely block out sound.  It's like I've gone completely deaf except for whatever song is playing (and it doesn't have to be dramatic and loud; even mozart works.)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:30:49 am »
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

These guys know their headphones. They're all audiophiles.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »

I think they get waterproof MP3 players that you can clip onto your swimsuit.  Probably not so uncomfortable.  Sounds pretty nice, actually.  Probably not much different from wanting to listen to tunes while jogging.

I'm not sure how they work, but it's what you see professional musicians wearing during concerts (maybe Armin can pipe in?).  I also think they might be out of the 200-300 range, but they're probably about as comfortable as you can get since they're tailored to your ear.

Haha, fair enough.  I'm tellin' ya, though... these earbuds completely block out sound.  It's like I've gone completely deaf except for whatever song is playing (and it doesn't have to be dramatic and loud; even mozart works.)
oh hah, I totally missed this. Yeah, Bose are overpriced.

I've never had a molded pair of IEMs myself, but I know you need to find a local audiologist to make the molds, and they usually recommend a brand of IEM to go with it.

I would still recommend using this guide whether or not you go the IEM route.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »

:( a pair of 'phones that legit cancel SOUND would be nice for studying

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 07:13:21 pm »

These guys know their headphones. They're all audiophiles.
Precisely the kind of people I don't need advice from.. Sound quality is not a huge concern of mine, or even a moderate concern, in this instance. I'd much rather the best noise cancelling function. Still I'll check it out though.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 01:28:56 am »
You figure the noise cancellation would be a realm that audiophiles are familiar with. By that I mean: what good is sound quality if background noise makes it impossible to fully enjoy? =P

They do touch on it, though. Here's one at the high end of your price range that these audiophiles gave a seal of approval on:

Bose QC15 [$299]: The best active noise canceling headphone by far. Good sound stage and presence. Light on the bass. The noise cancellation might distort the music though.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 06:05:37 pm »
What Newby said. Get a good pair of headphones in your price range with both good sound quality and noise cancellation.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:12:33 pm by Armin »