Author Topic: Dune  (Read 2388 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Dune
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:14:21 pm »
I had never heard of this, but the game looks interesting. Can I be Paul of Dune and release a jihad on the galaxy?
I am a bit disappointed with Dune. I think I may have as a child read it, but I have no recollection of doing so. I picked it up again a few weeks ago... Books 1 and 2 were incredibly fun to read; I couldn't force myself through Book 3 and gave up.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Dune
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:37:06 pm »
I had never heard of this, but the game looks interesting. Can I be Paul of Dune and release a jihad on the galaxy?
I am a bit disappointed with Dune. I think I may have as a child read it, but I have no recollection of doing so. I picked it up again a few weeks ago... Books 1 and 2 were incredibly fun to read; I couldn't force myself through Book 3 and gave up.

If you hijack my lovely thread, I'll crucify you. > : (

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50:28 am »
Yeah, Herbert took a detour with books 3 and 4. I'm not sure which one is worse out of those two. I'm inclined to say it's book 3 because all I can remember is how crazy abusive everyone was toward Leto II; nothing really happened after they started doping him up on spice. I just finished reading Paul of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. It's a direct sequel to Dune, and it shows how Paul went from savior to tyrant as he tries to conquer the old Imperium, develop a religion around himself, and maintain order.
errr... something like that...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 02:15:01 pm »
Yeah, Herbert took a detour with books 3 and 4. I'm not sure which one is worse out of those two. I'm inclined to say it's book 3 because all I can remember is how crazy abusive everyone was toward Leto II; nothing really happened after they started doping him up on spice. I just finished reading Paul of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. It's a direct sequel to Dune, and it shows how Paul went from savior to tyrant as he tries to conquer the old Imperium, develop a religion around himself, and maintain order.
How did you manage to persevere through book 3? Even with the cool prospect of Alia being taken over by the Barron, the series turned awful. The characters became far more conniving, but it seemed contrived. The plot was dull. Leto II didn't come off with the charm that Paul did.
Do you recommend Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson's novels on Dune? I avoided them on the basis that derivative works, even based on the author's notes, are terrible.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 04:03:53 pm »
How did you manage to persevere through book 3? Even with the cool prospect of Alia being taken over by the Barron, the series turned awful. The characters became far more conniving, but it seemed contrived. The plot was dull. Leto II didn't come off with the charm that Paul did.
Do you recommend Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson's novels on Dune? I avoided them on the basis that derivative works, even based on the author's notes, are terrible.
Haha! Yeah, like I said, Children of Dune was definitely one of the harder ones for me to read. Definitely avoid God Emperor of Dune if you hated Children of Dune. While Leto II's story is somewhat interesting, Frank Herbert's back and forth between the first and third-person perspectives grows old quickly, and you can't help but feel Leto II set it all up from the start. Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson did a decent job with Hunters of Dune, Sandworms of Dune, and Paul of Dune. Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune give the series a decent ending after the cliffhanger in Chapterhouse Dune.
errr... something like that...