Author Topic: I didnt eat meat for a week - weird. I have Qs.  (Read 3310 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
I didnt eat meat for a week - weird. I have Qs.
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:06:06 pm »
iago, you switched from a "normal" diet to vegan, yeah?  Did you experience "meat withdrawals"?

I spent the last week+ without eating meat.  I was at my gf's (I used to live here, and had my own meat dishes often), and we didnt have any meat (she is a quasi vegetarian*), nor any soy fake-meat crap.  Some of the soy fake chicken is good (Quron?).  But, this week, I didnt have even that.  I did, however, have a decent amount of spinach.
http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/raw-food-diet/raw-nutrition/is-spinach-really-a-rich-source-of-protein/

I CRAVED meat by the end.  I've craved green chile like "oh I really want chile" but this meat craving was more like "I _need_ meat!"  Anyone ever experience this before?  What was I lacking in my diet?

Also, my poos changed (went to sorta mushy and VERY dark)

*she isnt a vegetarian when it comes to fresh sea food in Florida south of the 7 mile bridge to the Keys, apparently.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: I didnt eat meat for a week - weird. I have Qs.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:26:13 am »
Nope, I never looked back. I've always been good at that sorta thing, though. I also gave up pop/soda/whatever at one point without ever craving it.

I don't like fake meat normally. Some is good, especially some of the stuff at restaurants, but I almost never buy it. I eat mostly fresh vegetables and canned veggies/beans/etc.

If your poo's mushy, you need more fibre. Poo definitely changed when going on a vegan diet - became much more, ummmm, manageable. :)

For what it's worth, even if people don't go full vegetarian, it's healthy and good for your body/the environment/etc to reduce your meat intake. Make meat the sidedish rather than the main dish for more meals. Focus on the fresh veggies. That's how most countries outside of North America do things. :)

Also, if you're having cravings, it usually means you're missing some nutrient. It could be protein, fat, carbs, etc.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:28:12 am by iago »

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:54:00 pm »
Maybe it would help to take an iron supplement and see if it changes the craving

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 05:36:03 pm »
I dont plan on switching (I love steak WAY too the fuck much), but it was weird and I wondered.  I don't think I've gone that long without meat since I could eat solid food.  I'm back to eating dead critters.  I had an amazing burger the other day w/meat that was actually done up there - the shape was so nonuniform that it was obviously not a frozen patty - and it had a fried egg on it.  I've never had a fried egg on a burger, but frick was it TASTY!

Anyway, thanks for the insight.  I dont know how these nonmainstream/nontraditional diets work.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:53:17 pm »
Hell, my wife and I experienced "home-cooked food withdrawal" and "American food withdrawal" while we were in Australia for 2 weeks...  It's not THAT crazy.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:37:39 am »
Yeah, eating is my least favourite part of traveling. I quickly miss preparing my own food.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 02:18:12 pm »
eating is my FAVORITE part of going somewhere new!  new foods.  new restaurants.  I dont care so much for other cultural aspects of seeing somewhere else.

Buildings are cool, people suck, but food is awesome.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:33 pm »
I wouldn't call it my favorite part of going somewhere new, but I also go out of my way to try to find good local merchants/cuisine.