Author Topic: RIP hitchens  (Read 12756 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: RIP hitchens
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 06:56:05 pm »
It's too bad the world, in general, was not more aware of Christopher Hitchens.  He was famous, certainly, but not a household name like Richard Dawkins, and he deserves to be.  No one compared with Hitchens.

Although Hitchens was a lot more than an outspoken atheist, of the "4 horsemen", this is how I would rank them:
Christopher Hitchens > Richard Dawkins > Sam Harris > Daniel Dennett.

I find Dennett hugely boring.

I agree. I think Dawkins has the advantage of having been in the public eye for longer?

That's the order I'd rank them in too. I know next to nothing about Dennett... I've listened to the other three talk quite a bit over the years, and have a great deal of respect for all of them.

It's too bad the world, in general, was not more aware of Christopher Hitchens.  He was famous, certainly, but not a household name like Richard Dawkins, and he deserves to be.  Hitchens is a lot more interesting and intelligent and just overall unique than Dawkins.  Not that I especially have anything against Dawkins, I do like some of his writings and he's reasonably interesting and sometimes funny.  On balance I like him.  Just basically no one compared with Hitch. 

Although Hitchens was a lot more than an outspoken atheist, of the "4 horsemen", this is how I would rank them:
Christopher Hitchens > Richard Dawkins > Sam Harris > Daniel Dennett.

I find Dennett hugely boring.
It baffles me that you think Dawkins is a household name.

Pretty close, I think.

Aye, Hitchens was more of a household name IMO...

In my experience, the average university student knows who Dawkins is, and could tell you a few things about him (like that he's a biologist), but doesn't know who Hitchens is.

In mine too. :)

Rule, you should post your favorite Hitchslap.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:57:44 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: RIP hitchens
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 09:08:18 pm »
Favourite Hitchslap... that's hard -- there's a lot to choose from. I'll think about it.  He has a lot of great one liners, but I think my favourite Hitchens stuff to listen to is more prolonged discussions and debates, especially when there is lots of back and forth (e.g. someone "interviewing"/cross-examining Hitchens).