Author Topic: Win 8  (Read 13245 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Win 8
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:55 pm »
I can't think of another time it's useful.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as such a fanboi. I'm just thoroughly impressed by the trackpad. :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 03:27:32 pm »
Your normal use of a trackpad must be super derpy if you trigger gestures with normal use. ;p

The rotate gesture in particular is quite intuitive. It's quite a bit like the motion you'd make to rotate a photo if it was sitting in front of you. I didn't say any of the other gestures were intuitive, if you'll notice. They're easy to remember and use after forcing yourself to use them for two minutes, though, which is why I like them.
Lol I despise trackpads. Actually, I vehemently hate everything about laptops except that I can move them around. Too uncomfortable a keyboard (I love my split ergonomic keyboard), shitty built in mouse (I like real mice, fuck even a ball mouse beats a trackpad), and awkward screen location.

Anyway, in rereading your post you didn't say that. But I know plenty of idiots (and I'll wager so do you) who swear by the Cult of the Artist Formerly Known as Jobs and would say everything that Apple does is "intuitive".
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »
I'm always popping things up by accident when I try to use an Apple trackpad. I imagine it would just take getting used to knowing where not to touch it, though. :)

I have a Logitech MX. It has 4 or 5 buttons, but I don't use them (they aren't even mapped to anything). I just use the weighted 2d scrollwheel and the three standard buttons.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 03:55:30 pm »
Your normal use of a trackpad must be super derpy if you trigger gestures with normal use. ;p

The rotate gesture in particular is quite intuitive. It's quite a bit like the motion you'd make to rotate a photo if it was sitting in front of you. I didn't say any of the other gestures were intuitive, if you'll notice. They're easy to remember and use after forcing yourself to use them for two minutes, though, which is why I like them.
Lol I despise trackpads. Actually, I vehemently hate everything about laptops except that I can move them around. Too uncomfortable a keyboard (I love my split ergonomic keyboard), shitty built in mouse (I like real mice, fuck even a ball mouse beats a trackpad), and awkward screen location.

Anyway, in rereading your post you didn't say that. But I know plenty of idiots (and I'll wager so do you) who swear by the Cult of the Artist Formerly Known as Jobs and would say everything that Apple does is "intuitive".

I've been stuck without a desktop for several years, and I don't really miss anything but dual monitors. There are a few things for which I'd rather use a mouse, but the preference isn't that strong, and for everything else, I think I have a slight preference for a trackpad. For most programming-intensive things I do, I don't touch the mouse, so it doesn't really make a difference.

I definitely don't think everything Apple does is intuitive. I think that Apple's design decisions tend to be more intuitive than their competition, but I don't mean to say there isn't plenty of room for improvement.

Apple makes solid products. I've tried the alternatives. Maybe I was unlucky, or maybe things have gotten better since the last time I've owned a PC, but I'm extremely pleased with my macbook, and I don't think any PC alternative will do anything to improve my laptop-ridden life.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 11:07:38 pm »

Other than rotating a photo... what's the point of the rotating mechanism?

Rotating a PDF! (That's how I discovered the rotate gesture.)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 12:08:13 am »
Why a trackpad or mouse, why not use Microsoft's Kinect technology and do some eye tracking?

Left wink = left click
right wink = right click
eye position = mouse cursor.

Imagine looking at a window and left-winking for focus! Scrolling could be automated by detecting reading eyes (would be an interesting learning problem).

Though, like the touchpad touch screen, it's probably not practical.

EDIT: I meant touch screen. Touchpads are obviously practical.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:24:00 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 01:56:24 am »
hahahahahaha.  I'm imagining someone using a wink-based interface.

If I were a badass hacker in a world where this existed, I'd write a virus that made the computer say "Are you coming onto me?" in TTS.