Author Topic: Tablets + Traveling  (Read 10907 times)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Tablets + Traveling
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »
I'm going to do some traveling over the next couple of months to go city hunting and scout possible cities that I'd like to move/ look for work, and it occurred to me I'll probably want a good mobile web-enabled device to help me in my quest.  I absolutely hate bringing my almost 7 year old laptop with me when I travel... it's so damn archaic and clunky and pain in the ass to lug around, especially now that the airlines rape you in luggage fees.

I have an iPhone but trying to browse webpages, navigate the multiple safari tabs, etc. makes it cumbersome to use quickly... plus the Google Maps app doesn't talk to me and tell me directions in real-time.  Anyhow, I'd rather not have my phone battery go dead because I'm using it to look up shit on the internet and what not. 

I remember Chavo and Blaze mentioning months ago about how they loved their ASUS Transformers, and I really like the sleek, seamless looking integration of the attachable keyboard, however I'm wary of buying the newer ASUS Transformer Prime because of its issues... i.e. its offline GPS functionality is broke and must not be able to be fixed solely through software, since ASUS is going to be offering some GPS dongle as a bandaid starting April 16th.  I'm not keen on paying full-price for a broken product... of course ASUS updated their website so that it no longer mentions the GPS feature.  Seems like they do that a lot.

The only other product that I currently have on my radar as a possible buy is the iPad 3.  But I'm not very pleased with my iPhone/ iOS (more of a displeasure with Apple and their walled garden, lack of customization of the OS, etc.).  So my gut tells me I'm going to regret buying an iPad 3 because I seriously regret buying my iPhone over an Android device.

I think my budget is going to be $600 - $650 max... any advice or suggestions on other products out there that suit my needs?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:53:45 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Tablets + Traveling
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:01:20 pm »
I really love my iPad, but it's not a netbook. If you want a netbook, get a transformer.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »
I have an iPhone but trying to browse webpages, navigate the multiple safari tabs, etc. makes it cumbersome to use quickly... plus the Google Maps app doesn't talk to me and tell me directions in real-time.  Anyhow, I'd rather not have my phone battery go dead because I'm using it to look up shit on the internet and what not. 

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus has a 4.65" screen and reading webpages via Dolphin browser is decent. Further, my Verizon service + Google Maps app allows me to have real-time talking directions when driving. I can also purchase an extended battery for my phone --- IIRC.

Samsung's Galaxy Tablet is pretty bomb from what I read.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:46:51 am »
MS gave me a Lenovo X220 convertible tablet.  The thing is fully decked out - I think full retail it would cost $2800 or so - but running Windows 8 on it is suh-weeeeeeeeeet.

I just saw that this was a topic about tablets and had to hijack it.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:03:54 am »
Get the older gen Transformer.  I don't have any performance issues that make me feel like I'm missing out on the Prime.  They're still quite popular and the price is reflective of their continuing demand (~$350-400 + $150 keyboard).  If see them drop under $300, I will probably grab another.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:22:21 pm »

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus has a 4.65" screen and reading webpages via Dolphin browser is decent. Further, my Verizon service + Google Maps app allows me to have real-time talking directions when driving. I can also purchase an extended battery for my phone --- IIRC.

Samsung's Galaxy Tablet is pretty bomb from what I read.

The Galaxy has the same problem as the iPad here: it's not a netbook. The transformer was designed to work as a netbook, and it serves that purpose pretty well. If you want a tablet that doesn't function that well as a netbook, I'd just get an iPad.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:16:57 pm »
MS gave me a Lenovo X220 convertible tablet.  The thing is fully decked out - I think full retail it would cost $2800 or so - but running Windows 8 on it is suh-weeeeeeeeeet.

How does the swivel hinge feel? Weak? I worried about that when Toshiba came out with its swivel product back in...06?

@Sidoh, I spose with the docking station built by ASUS for the Transformer, it's pretty awesome. That said, I have plenty of friends with keyboard padfolio cases for their iPads and enjoy the key board that way. I haven't seen someone w/an ASUS (most law-kids are form-over-function, it seems).

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:22:21 pm »

How does the swivel hinge feel? Weak? I worried about that when Toshiba came out with its swivel product back in...06?

I haven't ever had a problem with a swivel hinge.  I had one on a Gateway tablet I had back in 07-09, too.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »

@Sidoh, I spose with the docking station built by ASUS for the Transformer, it's pretty awesome. That said, I have plenty of friends with keyboard padfolio cases for their iPads and enjoy the key board that way. I haven't seen someone w/an ASUS (most law-kids are form-over-function, it seems).

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I don't have one (no use for one), but if I wanted a netbook, that's definitely the direction I'd go in.

AFAIK, the input for an iPad is limited to touch screen + keyboard. That sucks in a lot of ways. The mouse/trackpad is definitely superior for a lot of things. The Transformer docking station has a keyboard, external battery, trackpad, and it folds up nicely.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:38 pm »
iPad can suck it.  The only thing the iPad 3 has that piques my interest is the Retina display.

I think I'm going to get the first gen ASUS Transformer as Chavo suggests.

I'll buy it sometime this week so I have it before I visit Seattle April 25 - 28th.

EDIT:  I just bought a refurbished ASUS Transformer + keyboard (32GB) for ~$440 from Newegg... Ugh... I'm spending so much money this month =\.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:45:46 am by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:11 pm »
I've read that android apps on tablets can suck in that sometimes the only available app is the phone app, and that the tablet just blows it up.

thoughts on app availability of ipad v. android tabs?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 06:30:52 pm »
I've read that android apps on tablets can suck in that sometimes the only available app is the phone app, and that the tablet just blows it up.

thoughts on app availability of ipad v. android tabs?

The same goes for iPad.  Support on both platforms, to my knowledge, is up to the developer.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 07:07:26 pm »
I see. I read a PCMag article that seemed to suggest that ipad had more friendly apps.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401308,00.asp

That said, it's just a matter of time...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 07:34:30 pm »
There's almost always an "HD" version of a given iPad app. It generally costs slightly more (like $4.99 instead of $0.99).

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 08:24:15 pm »
I see. I read a PCMag article that seemed to suggest that ipad had more friendly apps.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401308,00.asp

That said, it's just a matter of time...

Yeah, there's certainly more, but they've had a decent tablet for more time.  A lot of apps are getting tablet versions.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...