Author Topic: Dinking around with resurrecting JinxBot for Win8  (Read 12502 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Dinking around with resurrecting JinxBot for Win8
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:55:21 pm »
Playing around with Metro-style apps and the Win8/WinRT API and am curious how far I can take a bot.  If there's any interest at all I'll probably dump it into Gcode, otherwise it'll stay private.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Dinking around with resurrecting JinxBot for Win8
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »
JinxBot is for the new battle.net? I might have some interest. Unfortunately, I'm less interested knowing it'll be on a Microsoft platform. :)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:32:34 pm »
I couldn't participate since I am not that well versed in programming, but I wouldn't mind taking a gander at the code to see what I can figure out from it.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:00:33 am »
I'm interested in a Bnet 0.2 bot, but I don't think I'll be getting Win8 any time soon.

Offline MyndFyre

• The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:57 am »
Yeah, well, it's kinda my job.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:58 am »
You're publicly known to be a Microsoft employee on this forum. So why would you openly violate the Battle.net TOS/EULA and potentially make the code open source? Once you're known to be affiliated with a company, then the company expects you to behave yourself.

I knew someone who worked on reversing the Battle.net 2.0 protocol and Blizzard lawyers knocked on his door (quite literally in person). I think you're risking a lot playing with these bots that violate licenses (potentially even DMCA) now that you have your job at MS and it's not worth risking. Just move on.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline MyndFyre

• The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:28 pm »
You're publicly known to be a Microsoft employee on this forum. So why would you openly violate the Battle.net TOS/EULA and potentially make the code open source? Once you're known to be affiliated with a company, then the company expects you to behave yourself.

I knew someone who worked on reversing the Battle.net 2.0 protocol and Blizzard lawyers knocked on his door (quite literally in person). I think you're risking a lot playing with these bots that violate licenses (potentially even DMCA) now that you have your job at MS and it's not worth risking. Just move on.
I said nothing about Battle.net 2.0.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 02:57:35 pm »
I did ask what platform the bot would be for. If not for bnet, then what?

Offline MyndFyre

• The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 05:39:39 pm »
Bnet 1 or IRC or something similar.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 06:22:43 pm »
I think it would be really interesting if chat clients could, for example, play the role as both web server and browser. Perhaps web technologies are ill suited to this, but certainly dynamic content that can be efficiently "chatted" with one or more users would be a curious tool. I mean something beyond a white board and video chat ... something that is as extensible as current web technologies.

Though, this would require something more sophisticated than a BNET 1 or IRC communication medium.

Offline MyndFyre

• The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:03 pm »
I think it would be really interesting if chat clients could, for example, play the role as both web server and browser. Perhaps web technologies are ill suited to this, but certainly dynamic content that can be efficiently "chatted" with one or more users would be a curious tool. I mean something beyond a white board and video chat ... something that is as extensible as current web technologies.
I've definitely thought about things like that.  I think that opens up a lot of potentially scary attack surfaces though... security would be a bit of a challenge.  I don't think it's out of the question, by any stretch, though.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »
I've definitely thought about things like that.  I think that opens up a lot of potentially scary attack surfaces though... security would be a bit of a challenge.  I don't think it's out of the question, by any stretch, though.
Text chatting would be a subset of the capabilities of such a chat client. Just drag a text box into the chat "canvas" and then the text box can be used for the typical text conversation. I'm trying to imagine what you could do with this.

How about buttons? You could create a poll widget that you drag into the canvas for all conversational participants to participate on.
CGI-like widgets would allow participants to demo external programs in a conference.

I don't know, it seems like an ad-hoc Second Life. In Second Life you have a simulated environment (sort of like your "chat canvas") and you can program prims which are like the aforementioned "widgets" (quite literally object-oriented programming!). Such a chat client would be similar, except it would lack the simulated 3D environment. Maybe that would be a good thing.

Offline MysT_DooM

• Wizard
    • View Profile
    • DarkBlizz
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 06:43:32 pm »
i'm down if its bnet2.0. 
Also the only reason blizz came knocking on rob's door was because he was posting the info in public domain. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:20 pm »
i'm down if its bnet2.0. 
Also the only reason blizz came knocking on rob's door was because he was posting the info in public domain. 

What's the difference between posting in public domain and just open source? I know the difference from a licensing standpoint, but why would Blizzard be any less pissed? Regardless, as far as I know, if he's doing it for educational value it's totally fine. I can say that I've learned a lot from the first generation of bots.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MysT_DooM

• Wizard
    • View Profile
    • DarkBlizz
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 12:52:41 am »
I don't remember him explicitly writing that the info was for educational purposes.  Most of the information released was through posts through a public forum like this.  Also, but not 100% sure but pretty sure, that the site was on US servers, which doesn't help much either. 
Now on the other hand with D3 reversing, they (dev's of main d3 server emulator) haven't received a C&D yet and they have explicitly written that it is all for educational use.  (http://mooege.org).  However they haven't posted actual documentation regarding the bnet2.0 auth like rob was doing, which is probably why.
But I really don't know what makes blizzard pissy without being part of their legal team.  I can just speculate, but speculate quite well though.