Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1756709 times)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #9105 on: November 07, 2010, 12:22:15 am »
It's understandable if your job is with computers.

But of course deadly's isn't. His job is the classes he attends and the social life he skips out on. But because he doesn't do his job (he skips out on the social life) he fills his day with hours and hours of human-machine love.
Minus the part where I work as a student sysadmin/programmer, am a CS major, and hang out with people daily, you're correct!

I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you you're STILL being trolled.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9106 on: November 07, 2010, 02:40:12 am »
It's understandable if your job is with computers.

But of course deadly's isn't. His job is the classes he attends and the social life he skips out on. But because he doesn't do his job (he skips out on the social life) he fills his day with hours and hours of human-machine love.
Minus the part where I work as a student sysadmin/programmer, am a CS major, and hang out with people daily, you're correct!

hahahahahaahahha...

wow deadly.  I had no idea you switched to CS.  Cool :)

I thought you hated programming, though?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: November 07, 2010, 03:47:46 pm »
It's not like I'm getting riled up. Trolling something that's apathetic is boring; I know this from experience.

wow deadly.  I had no idea you switched to CS.  Cool :)

I thought you hated programming, though?
I made that switch because I hated everything else and still love computers. Programming, I've learned, is a smaller part of CS and not necessarily what the major's all about. Some sects use it as a means to an end, and don't focus solely on programming. I don't think I want to be a software engineer, but working in iago's area is probably where I want to go with the degree. Having student sysadmin/network admin experience will be a very good segue into a potential internship with a security department, imo.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9108 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:59 pm »
I made that switch because I hated everything else and still love computers. Programming, I've learned, is a smaller part of CS and not necessarily what the major's all about. Some sects use it as a means to an end, and don't focus solely on programming. I don't think I want to be a software engineer, but working in iago's area is probably where I want to go with the degree. Having student sysadmin/network admin experience will be a very good segue into a potential internship with a security department, imo.

Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.
 -- Dijkstra

Most of computer science is more concerned with theory than anything else. :)

Does your school have a network security club or something like it?  My undergraduate university did, and I think a lot of the people there who have pursued work in the field land internships/jobs at pretty neat places.  My friend did an internship working on DNSSEC.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: November 08, 2010, 01:19:36 am »

Does your school have a network security club or something like it?  My undergraduate university did, and I think a lot of the people there who have pursued work in the field land internships/jobs at pretty neat places.  My friend did an internship working on DNSSEC.
I don't think we have any sort of security club. I don't think I'd get involved with any more student orgs though. I'm sick of them, tbh. I'd rather spend my free time next school year working on my honors thesis research project, whatever it may end up being.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9110 on: November 08, 2010, 01:31:13 am »

I don't think we have any sort of security club. I don't think I'd get involved with any more student orgs though. I'm sick of them, tbh. I'd rather spend my free time next school year working on my honors thesis research project, whatever it may end up being.

Shrugs... all of the student organizations I was involved with were minimally annoying.  I could show up when I felt like it, take part in any subset of the events I wanted, and I learned quite a bit.  The network security lab was great.  I was a "student admin", although I didn't do anything.  It just meant I got the punch code for the door, and I could run wild on any of the hardware I wanted.  My friend and I messed around with backtrack and ettercap for hours.

We were experimenting with ARP poisoning, and injecting data in HTTP packets.  We replaced all images in HTML with a picture of the professor that ran the network security club.  What we didn't realize was we were also intercepting packets that the server hosting the netsec website was sending out... anyone who requested the webpage during our fun times got a page full of images of Professor Dan Massey.  Oops. >_>

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: November 08, 2010, 09:13:00 am »
Shrugs... all of the student organizations I was involved with were minimally annoying.  I could show up when I felt like it, take part in any subset of the events I wanted, and I learned quite a bit.
It's different being on the board versus merely involved with an organization, I suppose.
The network security lab was great.  I was a "student admin", although I didn't do anything.  It just meant I got the punch code for the door, and I could run wild on any of the hardware I wanted.  My friend and I messed around with backtrack and ettercap for hours.
Ah, I do a wide variety of stuff. Just switched into my current department; eventually I'll be doing what full-time sysadmins do (server automation, ticket handling, hardware/cluster management, and a small bit of networking).
We were experimenting with ARP poisoning, and injecting data in HTTP packets.  We replaced all images in HTML with a picture of the professor that ran the network security club.  What we didn't realize was we were also intercepting packets that the server hosting the netsec website was sending out... anyone who requested the webpage during our fun times got a page full of images of Professor Dan Massey.  Oops. >_>
If that happened in my department I'm pretty sure I'd get fired. =)

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9112 on: November 08, 2010, 01:29:40 pm »
It's different being on the board versus merely involved with an organization, I suppose.

I was "on board".  They just didn't care if I didn't show up to things that didn't sound interesting to me.

Ah, I do a wide variety of stuff. Just switched into my current department; eventually I'll be doing what full-time sysadmins do (server automation, ticket handling, hardware/cluster management, and a small bit of networking).

The "network security lab" was just a room with 30 or so computers, its own subnet and a bunch of hardware/software to play with.  They let people run wild.  It was really great :)

If that happened in my department I'm pretty sure I'd get fired. =)

The network security lab is pretty much there so people can do this kind of thing.  That's what was fun about it.  We could do all the naughty things we wanted without getting in trouble.  The professor thought it was pretty hilarious :P

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: November 08, 2010, 03:24:27 pm »
I was "on board".  They just didn't care if I didn't show up to things that didn't sound interesting to me.
If only my current orgs did that... but then, I'd never show up. Reached the pinnacle of my enjoyment about two years ago. Lawlz.

The "network security lab" was just a room with 30 or so computers, its own subnet and a bunch of hardware/software to play with.  They let people run wild.  It was really great :)
If I wanted I could put things on their own subnet at my own job; we have enough of a backlog in everything that it makes little sense to screw around that much, though. Currently wanting to break the web server because of CSS. :-D

The network security lab is pretty much there so people can do this kind of thing.  That's what was fun about it.  We could do all the naughty things we wanted without getting in trouble.  The professor thought it was pretty hilarious :P
Ah. With a school of 50,000 that isn't tech-focused like CSM is, we have some different limitations in things we can do. AFAIK we don't have things like that unless research groups are utilizing them.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9114 on: November 08, 2010, 03:35:31 pm »
CSS?  Cascading style sheets?  Perhaps you mean XSS. ;p

shrugs.  CSU was 28k students or something.  The computer science department pretty much runs its own gig, and the network security people have their own little sector on the CS network.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: November 08, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »
CSS?  Cascading style sheets?  Perhaps you mean XSS. ;p
No, no. I mean my university has very specific mandates on what each university-affiliated page must look like, and their required CSS code is atrocious. I've been troubleshooting a redesign of our internal site, and it makes me want to just destroy the web server to not have to deal with anymore. :D
shrugs.  CSU was 28k students or something.  The computer science department pretty much runs its own gig, and the network security people have their own little sector on the CS network.
OIT here likes it up the butt (aka they're anal). From a security standpoint it's good, but from a practical aspect, it's really annoying. My old employer flaunted their rules, but my old employer turned out to be douches. My new ones, unfortunately, have to stick to their rules.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: November 10, 2010, 10:13:59 pm »
In other news, I still really have no idea what my research project will be. It's either going to be repeating a bunch of experiments using a new technique, continuing some computational fluid dynamics, or both. No one really knows right now. That, or they're all just keeping secrets. :(
errr... something like that...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »
I've got a horrible cough and sinus bug. It's terrible. I've been coughing all day. :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: November 11, 2010, 11:52:18 pm »
I've got a horrible cough and sinus bug. It's terrible. I've been coughing all day. :(
I suggest you stop coughing. :)
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: November 14, 2010, 11:41:32 pm »
In other news, I still really have no idea what my research project will be. It's either going to be repeating a bunch of experiments using a new technique, continuing some computational fluid dynamics, or both. No one really knows right now. That, or they're all just keeping secrets. :(
You'll probably be double-dipping in both. Chem (not chemE) grads I know spend about 50/50 time doing synthetic work and doing computational work. I can't imagine why it would be different for you.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed