Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1756884 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #9645 on: May 04, 2012, 04:07:41 pm »
For those who haven't drove/ridden a manual, if you don't downshift when you come to a stop, then try to leave your stop in 3rd+ (2nd if you're a bad clutcher), you won't be leaving your stop. :)
Unless bikes are different, there's no problem with downshifting after you've stopped fully.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9646 on: May 04, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
Bikes have a very simple shifter. It always returns to home position and you can click down to downshift or click up to upshift. So, if you come to a dead stop in 4th, you're going to hold your bike up on one foot and click down three times. Eventually you're going to come to a dead stop just as the light turns green and look like a dick while you sit there for a few seconds getting ready. Or worse, the moron behind you doesn't realize it's a red light and you need to be moving five seconds ago.

But mechanically, yeah, you can shift at a stop just fine. It's just not good practice imo.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: May 04, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »
Bikes have a very simple shifter. It always returns to home position and you can click down to downshift or click up to upshift. So, if you come to a dead stop in 4th, you're going to hold your bike up on one foot and click down three times. Eventually you're going to come to a dead stop just as the light turns green and look like a dick while you sit there for a few seconds getting ready. Or worse, the moron behind you doesn't realize it's a red light and you need to be moving five seconds ago.

But mechanically, yeah, you can shift at a stop just fine. It's just not good practice imo.

Aye, it's good to get in the habit of down shifting to the necessary gear (per whatever the recommended gear for the RPMs/ speed you're at) in the case that you don't need to come to a full stop, but instead need to accelerate again.  For instance, you are approaching a redlight, you start to slow down in preparation to come to a full stop but then the light turns green.

For me, I'm probably going to be selling my 2011 CBR250R soon- I plan to wash it, wax it, and take pictures of it this weekend most likely and then try to sell it on craigslist.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:05:02 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: May 04, 2012, 09:09:03 pm »
Not xenophobic at all. It's very sad because fewer and fewer Americans are doing research. I predict that the next wave of innovative technology will not come from this country (at least not natural born citizens) in the next few decades. It will come from Europeans and Asians who value education more than we do.

The future for Americans is iPhone, iPad, video games, TV, facebook and twitter. Oh, we'll sit in class and think about what game we'll play when we get home. Or we'll text on our iPhone obsessively, or dink around with our iPad. We'll surf facebook for hours and make a lot of pointless comments. And the worst part is, this isn't the government's fault (in my opinion). Sure, there are underfunded schools and goofy policies, but we seen to have a very bad attitude toward education. Where did it come from? Even if you fix the schools, there will be a cancer of bad attitudes plaguing our school children.

I was obviously (I thought) joking. American education sucks. Not only is education only business, now, it fails wholeheartedly in accomplishing what it is supposed to accomplish.

The fuck? Joe/William is engaged?
When the hell did this happen?

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #9649 on: May 05, 2012, 02:29:40 am »
Random question here. I know many of you on these boards aren't Christian. I was wondering if anyone here espoused any radical ideologies // beliefs they think people would find questionable? There must be at least one transhumanist here..
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9650 on: May 05, 2012, 03:25:36 am »
Unless something has changed, Joe is religious.

An inactive member (Tuberload) is some kinda crazy born again these days, but he'll never be back. He's a missionary now. Glory be. or something.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: May 05, 2012, 03:56:34 am »
An inactive member (Tuberload) is some kinda crazy born again these days, but he'll never be back. He's a missionary now. Glory be. or something.

=(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: May 05, 2012, 07:34:52 am »
I am no longer Christian.  I believe in ancient aliens.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: May 05, 2012, 01:43:49 pm »
I take it you're joking?

I know the History channel has been airing "documentaries" on ancient aliens these days. I was once a victim of History channel's documentaries, particularly Simcha Jacobovici's documentaries (which makes claims that are not well taken by archaeologists or biblical scholars).

I find this site to be a whole lot of fun to browse:
http://www.badarchaeology.com/

Ancient aliens stuff:
Erich von Däniken’s Spaceman-Gods
The Sirius Mystery
Zecharia Sitchin

Almost anything claimed in news papers or TV media are discussed on that site. It's a real fun read.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9654 on: May 05, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »
I take it you're joking?

I know the History channel has been airing "documentaries" on ancient aliens these days. I was once a victim of History channel's documentaries, particularly Simcha Jacobovici's documentaries (which makes claims that are not well taken by archaeologists or biblical scholars).

I find this site to be a whole lot of fun to browse:
http://www.badarchaeology.com/

Ancient aliens stuff:
Erich von Däniken’s Spaceman-Gods
The Sirius Mystery
Zecharia Sitchin

Almost anything claimed in news papers or TV media are discussed on that site. It's a real fun read.

lol. the meme is pretty excellent too.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: May 05, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
I take it you're joking?

Aye, lol.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: May 05, 2012, 08:42:25 pm »
Of course it was all in jest, but I'm of the opinion that faith in ancient aliens is no different than believing in Jeezus, Zeus, Thor, or whatever...

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: May 05, 2012, 09:47:35 pm »
Of course it was all in jest, but I'm of the opinion that faith in ancient aliens is no different than believing in Jeezus, Zeus, Thor, or whatever...
I mean, it's possible that aliens meddled with human history ...

Although, the way the History channel sells this idea is just downright deceptive.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9658 on: May 06, 2012, 03:25:58 am »
I think it's hilarious.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:40 am »
I think it's hilarious.

Yeah, but you mock all religions!