Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1757201 times)

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #6990 on: December 16, 2008, 10:09:46 pm »
I just applied to the sheriff's office to work there full time until I am 21 then i am going to be a cop :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6991 on: December 16, 2008, 10:18:38 pm »
You're not going to finish school?

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #6992 on: December 16, 2008, 10:21:29 pm »
A Bachelor (or at least an Associate) degree is required to be a police officer in many areas, that might be part of his plan.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: December 16, 2008, 10:54:09 pm »
A degree is not required for PD work. so what i am thinking is if i work for the sheriff's that can beef up my work experience in the force. and i may get to know some sheriff officers.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6994 on: December 16, 2008, 10:56:10 pm »
A degree is not required for PD work. so what i am thinking is if i work for the sheriff's that can beef up my work experience in the force. and i may get to know some sheriff officers.

So you're not going to finish school?

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: December 16, 2008, 11:08:32 pm »
nope i figure what is the point of a degree if i will not use it? if I need field work or i go into forensics i will take the needed classes. but as of right now i want to get started on my life, make money, do something.
When and if i go to the sheriff's department. I will be sent to New Mexico to an academy where i will receive the necessary training to do the job.
I really dont want to waste money on something that is not required.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6996 on: December 16, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »
lol @ ^
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: December 16, 2008, 11:49:39 pm »
???

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #6998 on: December 16, 2008, 11:51:53 pm »
A degree may not be required where you work, but that doesn't mean it won't help you get a better position or climb the ranks faster.  While I hate a lot of the ABET requirements, the idea that any college graduate has a minimum skill set as an educated person should not be discarded lightly.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6999 on: December 16, 2008, 11:56:52 pm »
nope i figure what is the point of a degree if i will not use it? if I need field work or i go into forensics i will take the needed classes. but as of right now i want to get started on my life, make money, do something.
When and if i go to the sheriff's department. I will be sent to New Mexico to an academy where i will receive the necessary training to do the job.
I really dont want to waste money on something that is not required.

I don't mean to imply it's impossible or even unlikely to be unsuccessful without a degree, but it does seem like your reasoning is a bit naive.

Getting almost any job is easier with a degree, and you'll likely get more pay if you have one.  I don't know if you've seen the statistics, but the average amount a person with a BS/BA makes over the course of a lifetime is quite a bit more than someone without one.

Have you considered working part time or something like that?  That way, you can kind of do both.

In any case, good luck.  I'm sure you'll do fine whatever it is you decide to do.  Have you tried talking to a few people who are employed under the same title that you're looking to pursue?  I think that'd probably be an excellent source for advice.

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: December 17, 2008, 01:52:02 am »
Having a degree isn't going to get him anywhere in the force. Looking qualified isn't what gets you promotions.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #7001 on: December 17, 2008, 01:53:08 am »
Having a degree isn't going to get him anywhere in the force. Looking qualified isn't what gets you promotions.

You're one of the least qualified people to say anything of the sort.  Shut up.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: December 17, 2008, 02:05:49 am »

You're one of the least qualified people to say anything of the sort.  Shut up.
Well, you say that now, but at least I'm headed somewhere. Having a degree doesn't mean anything when you want to work for law enforcement, unless you intend to move into CSI or forensics related work. In fact, you may need to pass (or more precisely, fail) an IQ test to get accepted to an academy.

edit: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_56314.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:10:40 am by topaz~ »

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #7003 on: December 17, 2008, 10:00:33 am »
You are obviously right, the ability to write at a College level, a stronger understanding of the justice system, or even minute benefit from a public speaking or economics class wouldn't help his career at all.  Oh wait...

Do you even know what a police officer does or are you just assuming the entire job description is riding around with your sirens on and eating donuts?

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: December 17, 2008, 10:49:43 am »
You are obviously right, the ability to write at a College level, a stronger understanding of the justice system, or even minute benefit from a public speaking or economics class wouldn't help his career at all.  Oh wait...

Do you even know what a police officer does or are you just assuming the entire job description is riding around with your sirens on and eating donuts?

Its more than that.
but I want to experience the justice system on a hands on approach. and the material i am going to need is going to be taught to me at the acadamy.
and as a cadet i will not be doing patrol i will be at the courts, juvenile detentions, and a variety of other locations.
I am not bashing school or whatever but i don't think it is the right thing for me.
Sure for you guys it may be the right thing, you guys are genius', but i am just some guy that has an ambition to become an officer.
If it was not this I would be going to the marines, but i would rather stay close to home.