Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1756139 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #9570 on: November 17, 2011, 11:37:31 am »
I was looking for lunch places around my workplace in Austin, and I found Google has labeled a retention pond Lake Fail. It made my day.  ;D
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: November 17, 2011, 05:03:55 pm »
Damn truck.  Tires are wearing poorly (wont align properly anymore).  Tirerods + upper & lower ball joints may be bad.  Rear ujoint is bad, but Ford had a FUCKING retarded design, so I cant nicely spend an hour and $20 to replace it - I have to spend $320 to replace it, or buy a custom built shaft for $350-400 (or a Ford shaft for $800 + labor, but fuck that).

I think some of yall are/will be engineers, so word of advice:  dont fuck it up :)!
Design problem on my truck:  A sanely-designed rear ujoint on a RWD vehicle should have clips that hold the ujoint caps in.  In 2004-05, Ford decided it could save money by staking the caps in (i.e., pinching the caps into place, so they aren't mechanically held in, but are permanently held in).  That staking means a shit ton of obnoxious pounding  and jimmy-rigging the new joint in; whereas a clip just means unclip, pound out the old cap, pound in new, replace clip, done, drink beer.  I'm buying a new drive shaft for $350-400 now (local Ford dealer will replace old ujoint for $320, but then I might encounter this problem in the future), when a new ujoint should be under $50.

FRICK!

That said, a hot chick invited me to a self defense class tomorrow night - we're gonna learn about defending ourselves from knife attacks.  I fully expect my ass to get handed to me and to look like a fool in front of her (she trains LOTS in ju-jitsu [I probably fucked that up]).

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: November 19, 2011, 03:32:07 pm »
Washed, waxed, and covered up my bike for the winter.  Sucks that I don't live someplace where the weather is nice enough to ride all year round.  Oh well, I got what I needed out of the bike- experience.  I've clocked ~1300 miles... not that bad consider I haven't ridden it much in the last couple of months and got it in late July.  I'll be selling my bike in the spring and upgrading to something more powerful, a 600cc methinks.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »
Bought a new cheapo laptop, holy shit toshiba I had no idea it was possible to install so much bloatware crap on a computer. I think my dell had a handful of things I got rid of, but there are like ~25 retarded toshiba apps alone, not even counting the bundled garbage trials and such.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9574 on: December 01, 2011, 09:44:13 am »
When I buy laptops now, I don't even boot up the OEM Windows. I immediately install my own.

I'm pretty sure the key they give you with laptops can be used to install a fresh copy now.. never used to be like that. I can give you a .iso of any version of Windows if you need - assuming you own a legit copy, of course. :)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #9575 on: December 02, 2011, 03:21:04 pm »
I picked up an ASUS Transformer tablet on Black Friday and absolutely love it.   I grabbed the external dock/keyboard/extended battery which really makes it perfect.  ASUS did a great job designing this hardware well.  I use it as both a tablet and netbook almost seamlessly.  I could probably rave about it for an hour but I won't bore you and I normally don't rave anyway...so take that for what it is worth!

In other news, I'm a dad!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: December 02, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »
Grats chavo! You're the first x86er to have successfully continued his genetic line. How does that make you feel?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9577 on: December 02, 2011, 04:29:32 pm »
Congrats, Chavo! I'm excited for you.

I guess it's pretty cool that you had a child too.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9578 on: December 02, 2011, 04:38:32 pm »
I picked up an ASUS Transformer tablet on Black Friday and absolutely love it.   I grabbed the external dock/keyboard/extended battery which really makes it perfect.  ASUS did a great job designing this hardware well.  I use it as both a tablet and netbook almost seamlessly.  I could probably rave about it for an hour but I won't bore you and I normally don't rave anyway...so take that for what it is worth!

In other news, I'm a dad!

I also have the transformer with dock, and totally agree; it's really great.  ASUS have been supporting their android devices really well (best support from any Android manufacturer so far, anyway), and soon it'll have ICS!  :D

The transformer prime or whatever that's coming out soon is also going to be awesome, and I'm thinking of selling my current one and getting that.]

Oh, and congratulations on being a dad!  Is it a boy or a girl?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: December 02, 2011, 07:34:48 pm »
Congrats, Chavo! Children still frighten me, so it'll be a few more years for me.
errr... something like that...

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: December 02, 2011, 07:38:56 pm »
Congrats! 

Meh, I can't even fathom the idea of children at this time... I'm still at point A trying to get to point B, forget point C.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: December 03, 2011, 04:34:52 pm »
Congrats! 

Meh, I can't even fathom the idea of children at this time... I'm still at point A trying to get to point B, forget point C.

I can barely fathom the idea of life after undergrad. It's terrifying.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9582 on: December 04, 2011, 11:26:02 am »
Congrats! 

I can barely fathom the idea of life after undergrad. It's terrifying.

Agreed. And I've been gradded for like 5 years. :)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: December 04, 2011, 12:42:51 pm »
Meh, I still feel like I'm lost... 2.5 years after graduating.  :(

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: December 04, 2011, 01:18:08 pm »
I also have the transformer with dock, and totally agree; it's really great.  ASUS have been supporting their android devices really well (best support from any Android manufacturer so far, anyway), and soon it'll have ICS!  :D

The transformer prime or whatever that's coming out soon is also going to be awesome, and I'm thinking of selling my current one and getting that.]

If you do end up wanting to sell it, I'd be interested if the price is reasonable.  Although, you're in Canada so I'm not sure how shipping/ taxes/ customs factor into such a transaction.