Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1753690 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #9660 on: May 06, 2012, 07:41:00 am »
I have a harder time mocking religions like Jainism and Buddhism. These kinds of non-judgmental, dogmatically peaceful religions actually warm my heart a little. I can't accept their philosophies for the same reason I can't accept Christianity or Islam, but I have infinitely more respect for them.

The Abrahamic religions deserve every shred of mockery thrown their way.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: May 06, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »
and then there's new waves of Buddhist Atheism, like this book proposes, complete with a forward from Christopher Hitchens.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: May 07, 2012, 05:51:16 pm »
lol, MS recruiters don't seem to want me, but recruiters for vendors of MS seem to >_>;
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9663 on: May 07, 2012, 07:35:34 pm »
I mean, it's possible that aliens meddled with human history ...

Ever seen Star Trek: First Contact?

Since we're talking about religion now, I might as well chime in. I'm still a Christian, but seeing the way that other Christians act, I've wanted to adopt a moral code of sorts, considering Christianity's moral code is essentially "be good, or else apologize and it's fine".

I haven't really accepted anything as "my" moral code / religion, but I've read about Buddhism's Noble Eightfold Path, and Jediism. I think some of their teachings are really good from a non-religious standpoint.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:42:54 pm by Joe »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: May 07, 2012, 08:21:30 pm »
Ancient aliens is a neat idea, but there are two big problems with it from my point of view:
  • No (credible) archaeological evidence of aliens has been found. They left nothing behind yet have supposedly influenced early humans on a global scale? What kind of man power is needed to influence early humans on a global scale and how do you prevent even one individual from polluting the Earth with their presence?
  • No one seems to appreciate the size of the galaxy, let alone the universe itself. Even if intelligent life were relatively common, the distances are so great that it may take thousands to millions of years for an intelligent race to even receive electromagnetic radiation from us (and vice versa). Yet, even if we were to suppose that intelligent life had mastered efficient space travel ... where would they begin to look among the hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy alone? Why do we even presume that we have been found by aliens at all?
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9665 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:43 am »
Ancient aliens is a neat idea, but there are two big problems with it from my point of view:
  • No (credible) archaeological evidence of aliens has been found. They left nothing behind yet have supposedly influenced early humans on a global scale? What kind of man power is needed to influence early humans on a global scale and how do you prevent even one individual from polluting the Earth with their presence?
  • No one seems to appreciate the size of the galaxy, let alone the universe itself. Even if intelligent life were relatively common, the distances are so great that it may take thousands to millions of years for an intelligent race to even receive electromagnetic radiation from us (and vice versa). Yet, even if we were to suppose that intelligent life had mastered efficient space travel ... where would they begin to look among the hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy alone? Why do we even presume that we have been found by aliens at all?

Last time I posted this it was a joke. Now I'm serious.

Have you ever seen Star Trek: First Contact?

[spoiler]The crew of the USS Enterprise-D went back in time to ensure that Zephram Cochrane's first superluminal space flight actually took place.[/spoiler]

The United Federation of Planets (and many species before it's formation) had a "Prime Directive", which is to not assist pre-warp societies with technological advancements, or more generally, don't let them know you exist.

Both of your questions are easily answered. The aliens could have been much smarter than we are. They directly implanted ideas into the brains of people around the globe. Also, they could have developed a technology that allows them to see planets great distances away without the lag associated with light-speed transmission.

Or not. But, it could be!

EDIT -
Oh hey, we have no spoiler tag here. :(

Offline MysT_DooM

• Wizard
    • View Profile
    • DarkBlizz
« Reply #9666 on: May 08, 2012, 01:16:10 am »
yall should update forums to lastest SMF release & then install this spoiler mod http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2940

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9667 on: May 12, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »
I thought we had one back in the day.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: May 12, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »

Last time I posted this it was a joke. Now I'm serious.

Have you ever seen Star Trek: First Contact?

[spoiler]The crew of the USS Enterprise-D went back in time to ensure that Zephram Cochrane's first superluminal space flight actually took place.[/spoiler]

The United Federation of Planets (and many species before it's formation) had a "Prime Directive", which is to not assist pre-warp societies with technological advancements, or more generally, don't let them know you exist.

Both of your questions are easily answered. The aliens could have been much smarter than we are. They directly implanted ideas into the brains of people around the globe. Also, they could have developed a technology that allows them to see planets great distances away without the lag associated with light-speed transmission.

Or not. But, it could be!

EDIT -
Oh hey, we have no spoiler tag here. :(

Yes, I've seen it. Though, it doesn't seem quite the same thing. In First Contact, the Enterprise visits Earth in the past.

I've given your suggestion some thought (aside of moving), and while an intelligent race might have advanced to the point of altering our memories, they are claimed to have helped humans build monuments all over the world, either by advice or by providing advanced tools. Either way, the aliens are claimed to have had direct contact with humans from all around the world. Considering the man-power needed to influence humans on a global scale, it seems odd that no evidence has emerged to support the ancient alien hypothesis. Shouldn't there be a dead alien, a crashed ship, lost tools or parts, evidence of alien-inflicted human wounds (gods did attack humans)? Keep in mind, aliens are assumed to have influenced humans over periods of thousands of years on a global scale. Isn't it more likely that aliens didn't influence humans on a global scale over thousands of years?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: May 13, 2012, 07:41:47 am »
Broke my left wrist. :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: May 13, 2012, 08:00:05 am »
Either way, the aliens are claimed to have had direct contact with humans from all around the world. Considering the man-power needed to influence humans on a global scale, it seems odd that no evidence has emerged to support the ancient alien hypothesis. Shouldn't there be a dead alien, a crashed ship, lost tools or parts, evidence of alien-inflicted human wounds (gods did attack humans)? Keep in mind, aliens are assumed to have influenced humans over periods of thousands of years on a global scale. Isn't it more likely that aliens didn't influence humans on a global scale over thousands of years?

Are you thinking it would take armies of aliens to influence primitive, ancient human civilizations on a global scale?  A single alien could influence an entire villages of early human civilizations. 

Religions are an attempt, among other things, to provide an explanation for the unexplained.  I would think that in the early development of human civilization, an alien of far superior technology could pretty easily convince an entire city or village that it was a God.  Early humans were pretty gullible.  What we do not know, what we cannot explain, back then that would be a lot of things, could only be described in terms familiar to humans- goats, birds, fire, weather, etc.  We were pretty noob. 

I'd think that once a form of communication between the aliens and humans is established, the aliens wouldn't need to reside physically on the earth for thousands of years, they could have just stayed in orbit or went on their way exploring the universe, and drop by every now and then... and even if they did not, even if only a single Alien was left to "rule" each civilization... it wouldn't take many aliens to influence human civilizations methinks.

And if so little number of aliens actually on earth, the probability that we'd find the bodies of such thousands of years later if there were only dozens (if that) residing on earth seems slim to me.  The aliens may very well honor their dead and have their own traditions of burial so if any aliens died on earth, their bodies might not have been left on earth.

Let me just say beyond watching a few Ancient Aliens episodes on The History Channel, I am by far not thoroughly familiar with the claims of the Ancient Alien theorists.  So I'm just speculating for the fun of it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:01:50 am by while1 »

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: May 13, 2012, 12:19:48 pm »
Either way, the aliens are claimed to have had direct contact with humans from all around the world. Considering the man-power needed to influence humans on a global scale, it seems odd that no evidence has emerged to support the ancient alien hypothesis. Shouldn't there be a dead alien, a crashed ship, lost tools or parts, evidence of alien-inflicted human wounds (gods did attack humans)? Keep in mind, aliens are assumed to have influenced humans over periods of thousands of years on a global scale. Isn't it more likely that aliens didn't influence humans on a global scale over thousands of years?

Are you thinking it would take armies of aliens to influence primitive, ancient human civilizations on a global scale?  A single alien could influence an entire villages of early human civilizations. 

Yes, I think it would be an enormous undertaking. I'm not necessarily talking about military, but the resources needed to travel light years through space, the expertise needed to maintain a ship that can travel light years through space, and the expertise needed to understand human culture and communications on a global scale. We don't even understand a handful of ancient South American cultures/languages and we've been studying their sites for decades.

Religions are an attempt, among other things, to provide an explanation for the unexplained.  I would think that in the early development of human civilization, an alien of far superior technology could pretty easily convince an entire city or village that it was a God.  Early humans were pretty gullible.  What we do not know, what we cannot explain, back then that would be a lot of things, could only be described in terms familiar to humans- goats, birds, fire, weather, etc.  We were pretty noob. 
What about remains of early humans and their ancestors that practiced ritualistic burials? Were these influenced by aliens? Couldn't religions have been entirely imagined to explain the world as it is? Do we need aliens to be analogous to gods? I think we are a very creative.

I'd think that once a form of communication between the aliens and humans is established, the aliens wouldn't need to reside physically on the earth for thousands of years, they could have just stayed in orbit or went on their way exploring the universe, and drop by every now and then... and even if they did not, even if only a single Alien was left to "rule" each civilization... it wouldn't take many aliens to influence human civilizations methinks.
Considering that traveling near light speed is kind of like a "time machine" to the future, I suppose that it's possible that they "checked in" once in a while. Still, I think it is an enormous undertaking.

And if so little number of aliens actually on earth, the probability that we'd find the bodies of such thousands of years later if there were only dozens (if that) residing on earth seems slim to me.  The aliens may very well honor their dead and have their own traditions of burial so if any aliens died on earth, their bodies might not have been left on earth.
We've found bones on the order of millions of years old. We're talking the past 10000 years. Indeed, aliens may practice ritualistic burial, but that doesn't mean they can always recover their dead. A sophisticated alien race with a mastery over space travel does not necessarily mean they can dive miles under the ocean, nor does it mean they can always track the location of a crash on land (for example).

Let me just say beyond watching a few Ancient Aliens episodes on The History Channel, I am by far not thoroughly familiar with the claims of the Ancient Alien theorists.  So I'm just speculating for the fun of it.
I don't mean to nit pick, but it really bothers me to call it a theory. It is not a theory, it is a hypothesis and one that lacks any evidence so far. However, it is a convenient explanation to some aspects of the past. However, I really think our ancestors were a lot cleverer and smarter than we think.

EDIT: You'll have to forgive me. I have this bad habit of extrapolating paragraphs based on the first few sentences. I'm re-reading your post to make sure I've properly responded to each point.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:33:44 pm by nslay »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: May 13, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »
Broke my left wrist. :(
gotta be more careful when jerkin it

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: May 13, 2012, 06:47:59 pm »
Unless Newby is a lefty, I doubt it was from wanking.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: May 13, 2012, 09:56:27 pm »
Unless Newby is a lefty, I doubt it was from wanking.

I'm pretty sure newby experienced...

danger from the stranger  8)
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine