Author Topic: Hi guys  (Read 10966 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Hi guys
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:54:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

It's been a while. I graduated college and am now looking for jobs. An English major makes jobs a bit difficult - but I was never interested in money. However, it's practically important, and I thought I would rejoin these forums to get back in touch with my programming roots, hoping to find employment as a software engineer, or independent income as a web designer.

As regards these two goals: (1) software engineering jobs and (2) independent web design, I was wondering what are the best languages and skills that I should pick up to make myself desirable? I'm proficient in Java and Python, good with SQL, rusty with PHP/HTML/CSS. I have the good fortune of being able to put already one IT/programming job on my resume, where I worked as a report writer composing SQL queries and outputting the results in an Excel spreadsheet. I worked this job for a year and a half.

So, if you were in my shoes, what kind of jobs would you go after, what websites would you use (monster.com, craigslist, etc.) and what languages/skills would you acquire in your free time to land a gig?

I appreciate any advice. Really, my plan is to travel, and I have a certain contempt for salaried jobs that would threaten to get in the way. I find temp programming jobs very interesting, as I'm thinking about travelling in the winter and spring. This is also why independent web design has such an appeal for me.

It feels good to reconnect! I had forgotten that I had this resource. But I suppose it's a good resource for all of us. I checked my profile and realized I've been registered for seven years! I must have been in this clan for over five years. Wow! If any of you are in the Chicago area, I'd be open to meeting up.

best,
Andrew

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Hi guys
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:05:42 pm »
Holy crap you're alive! Do you use FB? We created a private x86 fb group, I can add you to it.

In response to your question, the big languages right now are Ruby (especially Rails) and .net. Others are around, but the jobs seem to be those.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:04:04 am »
Lol iago. Thanks for the warm greeting. I just lost a winning chess game so I was bitter until I read your reply. I wonder, has x86 shifted over to facebook? I disabled mine a long time ago but it might be worth reenabling. Let me know. Hope all is well with you!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:09:19 am »
Nah, we haven't really shifted, it's more of a backup and/or alternative. :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »
I almost feel like I'm missing out on something, but then again, Facebook, so, not really.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »
I don't like Facebook either, blaze. As soon as I reenabled it it made me feel uncomfortable.

iago: Thanks for your advice. I suppose I'll start learning Ruby and Rails. Last time I checked, .NET wasn't free, and Visual Studio didn't run too well on OS X. If these things have changed, I could possibly warm up to it. Otherwise I'm generally averse to Microsoft products.

By the way: I see Rule has been made a member. I was always pulling for him. I'm glad :-)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 03:26:33 pm »
Yeah, I have super mixed feelings about Facebook, but ultimately I'd lose track of half my friends or more if I didn't have it so I bite the bullet.

.NET can be used on non-MS systems using Mono, which is an implementation of the .NET standard, but I don't think that'd be worth your time. I'd say look at Ruby/Rails.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »
One more question iago. (I'd be interested in others' feedback as well.) How important is a comp sci degree in getting programming jobs? I was talking to a friend the other day, a professor in art history, who stressed that we live in a world of credentials, and recommended I look into masters programs. Do you think a masters would be worth it? Or do employers look beyond the credentials to get a sense of a person's competence and intelligence?

It just occurred to me that Myndfyre studied history and poli sci in college, foregoing computer science. He landed a job with Microsoft, didn't he? How did he go about it? Did he pursue a Masters afterward, or did he just do a good job of conveying his skills and talents to employers?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:54:21 pm by Ender »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 06:53:10 pm »
I couldn't really say. My degree helped me meet the right people, but doesn't directly help in getting a job (keeping in mind that I work in Security - a fairly specialized field).

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 07:16:13 pm »
How important is a comp sci degree in getting programming jobs?

I have a certain contempt for salaried jobs

I'd say that these kind of jobs, a CS degree will be of more importance than the freelance/ temp type gigs. 

It really all depends though, while job postings may say the minimum requirements is a BS in CS or w/e, many will be flexible towards applicants if you have relevant past work experience and/ or a portfolio of work.  I think you're best bet is to find employment where an employer is willing to take a chance on you so that you can gain some experience that can be put on paper.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:19:31 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:00 pm »
How important is a comp sci degree in getting programming jobs?

I have a certain contempt for salaried jobs

I'd say that these kind of jobs, a CS degree will be of more importance than the freelance/ temp type gigs. 

It really all depends though, while job postings may say the minimum requirements is a BS in CS or w/e, many will be flexible towards applicants if you have relevant past work experience and/ or a portfolio of work.  I think you're best bet is to find employment where an employer is willing to take a chance on you so that you can gain some experience that can be put on paper.

Good to know that you think employers will take a chance. I was leaning towards creating a portfolio. Sounds like it will be a plus.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 08:27:25 am »
Don't get me wrong, a CS degree is definitely worth it's value because it easily open more doors.  You're going to be at a disadvantage on paper compared to a new college graduate with a CS degree because certain assumptions won't be able to be made when recruiters and hiring managers look at your resume, and you may not get a second glance due to them using it as a weeding out factor... this is because on paper many employers equate X years of relevant experience to a 4 year bachelors in CS (where X > 4). 

With that said, short-term contract and freelance programming gigs are a dime a dozen, you may still find at first getting an interview difficult.  I can't really say for sure though, as I've never been in your position.  But since you've stated that you're not exclusively looking for a salaried w/ benefits type gig, and open to doing work with less stability and more risk, I imagine you're going to find that you're most likely not going to be in competition with the bulk of the new college grads with a CS degree, especially not the best of them since they will already have jobs or grad skool plans.

You could try using rent a coder type services, but IMO you shouldn't waste your time and would be better off finding a shitty non-programming day job to help pay to the bills and instead focus on a portfolio. 

I'm not sure where you get your that .NET development isn't free.  The free Express Editions of VS are great.  These editions lack certain features that the paid editions have, but the missing features are by far "extras" and non-essential to development.  The only cost to development is the operating system, and complaining about that is petty because I'm sure if you PM'd me we could figure something out.  If you're doing web development and design, I think you're going to make your life easier having multiple platforms to test on anyways.  Sure the days of having to support IE6 are increasingly fading.  I was just as adverse to Microsoft as you 4+ years ago, however in my opinion their treatment and the tools and ease of development they provide developers is most definitely worthy of praise when I compare it to the likes of Apple.  Also, Mono has taken great strides compared to 4-5 years ago, at least in terms of developing multi-platform applications, although I can't speak towards its support for ASP.NET development.

But anyways, I'd say go with Ruby/RoR just because I think you may find it easier to find someone willing to take a chance on you.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:29:36 am by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 02:05:34 am »
Don't get me wrong, a CS degree is definitely worth it's value because it easily open more doors.  You're going to be at a disadvantage on paper compared to a new college graduate with a CS degree because certain assumptions won't be able to be made when recruiters and hiring managers look at your resume, and you may not get a second glance due to them using it as a weeding out factor.

This can be true for a while.*  I don't have a CS degree, but I took the time to get some certifications and found that my hireability went way up (well, it helped that I knew what I was talking about, but it's hard to even get an interview when you don't have a CS degree OR certs).

* I've found, and am part of, a substantial portion of interviewers who are skeptical of a CS degree.  I hired two CS graduates as Jr. Devs at Terralever and both of them were total busts.  On the other hand, I've found that self-taught people who are really passionate about the work are generally miles better than the typical student.  Having said so, it depends on what you need: if you're doing LOB apps, you just need someone who can get stuff done, and that will generally be a self-taught person or someone with experience.  If you need specific kinds of computation done, such as a custom data structure, you might get better bang for your buck with a CS student.  (Or, you could find someone like me, who was self-taught but anal enough to try to learn about all the data structures and algorithms and can inexplicably talk about those with at least some level of knowledge).
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 11:59:49 am »
Success is generally a combination of obtaining the right skills, making the right connections, and luck, with perhaps equal importance on each.  However, I would generally prioritize obtaining skills.  You can afford to spend a few years doing this.  You don't want to bullshit in front of people, and hopefully there is a deeper reason you are doing what you are doing than success (e.g. reputation, recognition, money, etc.). anyways

You can obtain skills through a degree, or you can teach yourself those same skills.  The benefit of being self taught is you can completely focus on what you think is important, and ignore the rest.  If you are good at figuring out what is important for you and what isn't, then this will be MUCH more efficient than class-learning. The drawback is you have to be self motivated, and you won't get connections by sitting alone in a library reading books.  Moreover, without some sort of well defined projects, it will be hard to know what is or isn't important to learn, and you will likely forget what you read without some sort of "hands on" experience.  Furthermore, the degree and in particular, where you do your degree, will help with connections more than being self taught will -- you will be surrounded by people with similar interests. 

The best of all worlds (esp if you like research) is a PhD at a reputable university, or in a reputable lab/research group, in my opinion.  You are free to teach yourself things -- that's largely the point -- and simultaneously you will be in a great environment that will help you focus your self study and meet interesting people.  However, keeping in mind that the attrition rate at some places is about 50% (or so I've been told), it's clearly not for everyone.

PS. In regards to your initial question about a masters helping you get jobs.... it completely depends on what types of jobs you want, even within the same industry (e.g. software engineering, computer science research, etc).   My general sense is that it will affect the type of work that you do in the future more than it will affect your income. If I had to choose between a random guy with a master's degree, and a random guy who had 2 years of industry experience, I'd probably choose the guy with experience.  On the other hand, if someone did exceptionally well in their master's (very creative research, etc.) then I would go for them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:29:24 pm by Rule »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 12:11:45 pm »
IMO, the best of all worlds is to get involved in opensource development (your own projects or others'). You get experience, skills, connections, etc.