Author Topic: Accessing country-restricted facebook pages  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Accessing country-restricted facebook pages
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:56:38 pm »
Does anyone have experience doing this? I'd imagine they're really only using geoip stuff, but I haven't looked into it much.

Does anyone know of free Canadian or UK webhosts that allow PHP or something I can use to hit the facebook API with?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing country-restricted facebook pages
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:34:18 pm »
There's pages on Facebook you can't get to because of your location? Weird.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:24:35 am »
Yeah. It's a setting that group admins can control if they like.

iago loaned me an account on his box, and I confirmed I could get to a page restricted to Canadian visitors via the API.

I threw together a shitty PHP proxy and a ruby script that does oauth logins with mechanize. Currently looking for dirt-cheap (ideally free) PHP providers in CA, UK, and Australia.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:30:08 am »
Christ. I don't know what kind of wizardry they're using, but it's pretty extensive.

Two shitty hosts I found that definitely claim to have their datacenters located in the UK (and with servers having IPs that definitely geolocate to somewhere in the UK) will not work. Accessing the country-restricted page presents the same behavior accessing it from the US does.

I found a VPN service that has a 5 hour free trial. They have 8 VPN servers in the UK, 7 of which are blocked. The very last one I tried got through to the page, but all of the others have the same effect I mentioned with the UK web hosts.

They must do something to detect if you're coming from some kind of VPN/web provider. Jesus this shit's annoying.

Luckily iago has been gracious enough to host some of my shitty scripts on his box, which is allowing me access to the Canadian pages.

Edit - it would seem that some of the proxies on this list successfully subvert whatever mechanism they're using.

Edit 2 - heueheueheuheueheheueheuheueh
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:49:55 am by Sidoh »