Author Topic: Let's update!  (Read 22669 times)

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's update!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 01:58:34 pm »
Last I remember you were talking about Hampden Sydney and your frat there, and you were a staunch Republican with political ambitions.  Has much changed?

Yes, I read Atlas Shrugged.

Working in Atlanta for a couple eCommerce companies now. Working on some side projects of my own - always interested in networking with developers.

I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago.  In my spare time I visited the "World of Coca Cola".  Was a 1984-esque experience, with the "great happifycation" etc.

I enjoyed going to Sweet Georgia's Juke Joint

I have not been to either of those since I've been here, but will keep Sweet Georgia's in mind.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »
World of Coca-Cola tour was terrible when I did it. Most fun part was just hanging out with a couple friends. It's 99% marketing about why Coke is cool, and 1% interesting information. Was very displeased.

--
I start med school in 3 weeks.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 12:10:14 am »
Bar exam Tuesday after next. Ugh. Hundreds of hours of video lecture, thousands of practice questions, hundreds of flash cards, hundreds of pages of notes. Fun summer? I'm actually less busy than when I was working two jobs (for two weeks, I had three jobs), and finishing two degrees. Kinda weird to be so busy, yet not all that busy.

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 03:07:43 pm »
Bar exam Tuesday after next. Ugh. Hundreds of hours of video lecture, thousands of practice questions, hundreds of flash cards, hundreds of pages of notes. Fun summer? I'm actually less busy than when I was working two jobs (for two weeks, I had three jobs), and finishing two degrees. Kinda weird to be so busy, yet not all that busy.

Remind me, what kind of law was your focus?
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 10:30:19 am »
sooo...you don't necessarily specialize until you're practicing, but all my education points me toward working with small business owners. I did a lot of tax, estate planning, business entities in law; in financial planning, I did a bit of everything (required) so I know a bit about planning for education, retirement, insurance, etc (plus a bit about investment strategies).

I'm basically set to work with small business owners from estate and tax planning to business planning. I'll also probably do divorce (good money, I'm told)

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 12:05:04 pm »
Can you dm your best email?
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 10:59:02 am »
Scheduled my 2nd phone interview for tomorrow for a programming position at CHOP.  Hope it goes well, as I really want to work there.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 12:55:33 pm »
my foot.

http://imgur.com/a/xKvcI

(pics not safe for lunch)

Offline Falcon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 11:02:37 pm »
Thanks for sharing -_-

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 11:51:33 pm »
welcome

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 12:15:55 pm »
Scheduled my 2nd phone interview for tomorrow for a programming position at CHOP.  Hope it goes well, as I really want to work there.

We're looking for software engineers, so if anyone is interested, send your CV by PM.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 03:23:39 pm »
What do you do?

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 01:45:41 pm »
What do you do?
It's certainly unusual work. We research, develop and productize algorithms for use in medical image analysis. The tasks are certainly not trivial and we primarily focus on automatic segmentation of structures in the body in several modalities and employ a mixture of machine learning and computer vision approaches. It's really cool that brand spanking new algorithms end up in practical use very quickly (rather than rotting in journals for years).

Here's our problem: Our team is comprised purely of scientists, all of which are currently expected to research, develop, maintain, document, productize, test, and follow delivery procedures for a variety of customers. We have trouble maintaining a balance between the software engineering/architecture aspect, and the research aspect due to tight deadlines. It would be helpful to have a software engineer who could focus on the software side of the development, and that would include, for example:

• Deliveries (e.g. TFS, ClearCase, Productization, Testing)
  • Helping to maintain our code base.
  • Developing new interfaces and tools in the code base.
  • Improving existing interfaces.
  • Helping us document existing interfaces.
  • Quality control (e.g. maintaining review information, source analysis, etc...)

EDIT: We work primarily with C++, Visual Studio, CMake, and Subversion. The code base is computer vision and machine learning oriented and some of it is mathematically involved (so some numerical analysis could be helpful).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:49:11 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 05:53:44 pm »
I believe I am woefully underqualified, but if you'd like to give me money I may consider accepting your offer.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 10:13:38 pm »
Finally have internet, but not FiOS, unfortunately.  Verizon has incompetent installation engineers or something.  It should not take over 3 weeks to install FiOS in a FiOS ready apartment.

Started my new job- I can say I hate dead code and large blocks of commented out code that will likely never be uncommented/ used again.  While my previous job had some stupid coding standards (i.e. max 80 characters per line), they did have a lot of good ones that made readability and maintainability easier.

I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org