Author Topic: Let's talk IDEs  (Read 20781 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's talk IDEs
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 11:24:36 pm »
Right. I have ssh keys set up so I can get into each of the servers as my account, but there's a single account we use to run most of our hadoop processes, etc. So after logging in, I need to do sudo -u username -s or something like that.

It's not that it takes a lot of time or anything. It'd just be super nice to be able to attach tmux and have all of the sessions already connected.

Right now I'm doing something like this:

Code: [Select]
function tmux-sr() {
  tmux send-keys "lockfile -r 100 $SSH_LOCK \
    && ssh -t $ENTRY_SERVER sudo -K \
    && ssh -t $ENTRY_SERVER \"echo \$(vpn_password) | sudo -u $ENTRY_USER -S -i uptime\" \
    && rm -f $SSH_LOCK \
    && nocorrect ssh -t $ENTRY_SERVER sudo -u $ENTRY_USER -i $*" C-m
}

vpn_password is an alias that extracts my password from the keychain.

This works well enough, but I feel like there has to be a better way.

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 03:06:00 am »

This seemed promising but I haven't tried it myself. Yet!

Also of productive note, totally not about IDEs but related to vim so it's noteworthy: vimium has also increased my productivity, I pretty much only have to use the mouse to navigate webmail* or do mouseovers. Or control Pandora. Thankfully it's a radio and takes care of itself most of the time.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 04:14:10 am »

This seemed promising but I haven't tried it myself. Yet!

Also of productive note, totally not about IDEs but related to vim so it's noteworthy: vimium has also increased my productivity, I pretty much only have to use the mouse to navigate webmail* or do mouseovers. Or control Pandora. Thankfully it's a radio and takes care of itself most of the time.

Right. I'm already doing something like that to set up the pane layouts. The trouble is, some of the panes require that I enter my password in order to complete setup. I'm wondering if there's a reasonably elegant way to do that. What I have now works, but it's a piece of shit mess.

yeah. vimium is pretty cool.

what do you mean webmail*? do you not use gmail? the gmail keyboard shortcuts are pretty great.

edit: lol, i just remembered where you work.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 07:05:39 am »
I can't stand Eclipse.  Sure it's free, but it has one of the most horrible menu systems out of all IDEs I've ever used... and the way it saves/ stores projects and workspaces makes team development a pain sometimes.  I'll take IntelliJ over Eclipse any day of the week.  JetBrains ranks probably #1 in my book in terms of a company that makes outstanding dev tools/ IDEs.

I agree that Visual Studio is goddamn slow at times.  I've had to kill the devenv.exe countless times and expect to do so countless more.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:14:43 am by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org