Author Topic: uh...hdmi card [update re android mini pcp]  (Read 12716 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
uh...hdmi card [update re android mini pcp]
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:24:11 am »
shit. I don't know jack about modern computer hardware. what's a decent card for hdmi out? I just want to watch netflix....nothing complicated.

I guess I should maybe figure out what I do have in my desktop before I really start looking. lol?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:22:55 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: uh...hdmi card
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:32:23 pm »
I guess I should maybe figure out what I do have in my desktop before I really start looking. lol?

Yes. lol.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:09:01 pm »
wish I knew where I packed all the cables and shit. oh well

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:25:43 pm »
Scratch op; new idea: Android HDMI mini computer thingy!

This kinda shiz:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U00DV6337

Anyone have experience with these? Chromecast sounds like suck (1) because no netflix; (2) lack of processing power because lack of standalone power source; and (3) other reasons?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:28:51 pm »
Chromecast sounds like suck (1) because no netflix; (2) lack of processing power because lack of standalone power source; and (3) other reasons?

What makes you think Chromecast doesn't support Netflix? Since they list Netflix as one of the supported apps on their website, I suspect it actually does...

Also, the reviews for Chromecast have been pretty positive.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:06:12 pm »
Google is an advertising company.

A rather extreme analogy, but when's the last time you got some spam mail (snail mail) for loan X or gift reward Y and went totally bonkers over it and bought into it?

This is how I see Google, only Google is quite brilliant and makes genuinely awesome contributions to technology ... at the cost of our privacy (because most of what they give us is free). Just remember what you're giving ...

And Chromecast sounds like Google's clever way to know what we're watching (and it's a cool device from what I hear). I won't touch it with a 10 foot poll ... I'd rather go with a competitor (like Roku).
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 12:16:44 am »
Sidoh, I could've sworn I read some article the other night that mentioned Chromecast doesnt support netflix...weird. Guess this brings Chromecast back into the running.

I guess conspiracy theory stuff is one reason to stay away, but I also kinda dont really care that Google knows what I watch.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:21:30 am »

A rather extreme analogy, but when's the last time you got some spam mail (snail mail) for loan X or gift reward Y and went totally bonkers over it and bought into it?

This is how I see Google, only Google is quite brilliant and makes genuinely awesome contributions to technology ... at the cost of our privacy (because most of what they give us is free). Just remember what you're giving ...

And Chromecast sounds like Google's clever way to know what we're watching (and it's a cool device from what I hear). I won't touch it with a 10 foot poll ... I'd rather go with a competitor (like Roku).

don't give a fuck. seriously. this is not a good reason for me to give two shits. advertising is the only reason that 80% of the awesome shit on the internet is free. i for one embrace internet advertising.

@Craz3d - pretty sure whatever article you read was wrong :)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:45 am »

don't give a fuck. seriously. this is not a good reason for me to give two shits. advertising is the only reason that 80% of the awesome shit on the internet is free. i for one embrace internet advertising.

@Craz3d - pretty sure whatever article you read was wrong :)

Nobody said there was anything wrong with Internet advertising. But I did imply there might be something wrong with buying a device from an advertising company to provide them your viewing habits ... but this isn't advertising, is it?

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 02:38:04 am »
shit. I don't know jack about modern computer hardware. what's a decent card for hdmi out? I just want to watch netflix....nothing complicated.

Do you have a DVI jack already? If so, you could just buy a DVI to HDMI converter (since they're practically the same signal).

Even better, if you you have a more recent laptop, you probably have dual mode display port ("DP++" logo would appear near it). Then you can buy a cheap passive DP to HDMI cable (since dual mode Display Port supports HDMI signals).

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:03 am »
desktop has dual dvi out. I guess I could do that and sound input into the receive/home-theater-in-a-box I have; computer's speaker's arent as nice. that said, I'd have  to find me a long-ass hdmi cable and get a keyboard w/legit wireless range.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 05:13:51 pm »

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 07:03:01 pm »
desktop has dual dvi out. I guess I could do that and sound input into the receive/home-theater-in-a-box I have; computer's speaker's arent as nice. that said, I'd have  to find me a long-ass hdmi cable and get a keyboard w/legit wireless range.
Well you could go for Roku, Chromecast or similar. That's cheaper than a long cable. I have a Roku and it does its job well ... but the remote is a piece of junk.

Also, DVI apparently doesn't include sound.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:17:48 am »
DVI obviously doesnt include sound...yall are the computer-smart fucks and I knew that much (I otherwise dont know much about machines these days). For example: I bought a windows rt device because I didnt know how feature-lacking it was.

long hdmi cable sounds shittier than a dongle (that still makes me think of phallic things).

My office........I can't wait till I have the influence to be able to tel my boss we should hired someone that knows what's up. That said, he is only 10 years older than me, so he is basically only a toddler lawyer (I'm a baby lawyer), so he is tech-in-tune. We all have PCs + a scanner/printer/fax combo unit. I understand a fujitsu scan snap is a fantasmical scanner. The computer itself doesnt matter too much, since all we do is word processing (expensive word processing).

I understand there are programs that analyze the whole office to determine which printer is most efficient (price wise) to utilize. I kinda wonder if that shit includes time spent walking to the printer.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: uh...hdmi card [update re android mini pcp]
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:45 pm »
 :o

bought this: http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-MK808-Android-Rockchip-Cortex-A9/dp/B009OX22B4
+ a mini wireless keyboard

that android system is shit (at least what I got, but some problems seem to be usual). red line appears with black back grounds; wifi CONSTANTLY fails; wont install apps to kill onscreen keyboard.

also, as a practical matter, using a wireless keyboard/mouse SUCKS BALLZZZZZZ in a touch screen environment.

I guess I'll maybe just try to buy a cheap windows box and put it with my entertainment crap.