Author Topic: Linux is garbage  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Linux is garbage
« on: June 17, 2005, 01:03:25 pm »
BSD is the future.

http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinfrastructure/2005/06/16/linux-bsd-unix-cz_dl_0616theo.html

"You know what I found? Right in the kernel, in the heart of the operating system, I found a developer's comment that said, 'Does this belong here?' "Lok says. "What kind of confidence does that inspire? Right then I knew it was time to switch."

Very scary indeed.

That was a very interesting read.

OpenBSD for life!

I figure I'll give FreeBSD a second try sooner or later...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 01:16:09 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
Re: Linux is garbage
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
OpenBSD has worked well for me for the last few weeks now.
-RoMi

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 02:33:25 pm »
I can't say I'd switch due to a single comment. Linux is a comfortable working enviroment for me, when I'm in it (cave and Pie). If you still want to switch, I can't stop you, but I wouldn't be so extreme as to do it over a single developers comment.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 02:38:16 pm »
I can't say I'd switch due to a single comment. Linux is a comfortable working enviroment for me, when I'm in it (cave and Pie). If you still want to switch, I can't stop you, but I wouldn't be so extreme as to do it over a single developers comment.

Newby's already done a lot of stuff with BSD.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 02:39:22 pm »
Again, switching is his choice. Also, I don't know if you guys knoticed this or not, but that article was written by a BSD developer. Of course hes going to say Linux is garbage. He wants the users to convert to his software. Anyhow, he doesn't have my vote.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 02:40:05 pm »
Again, switching is his choice. Also, I don't know if you guys knoticed this or not, but that article was written by a BSD developer. Of course hes going to say Linux is garbage. He wants the users to convert to his software. Anyhow, he doesn't have my vote.

That doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 03:12:30 pm »
Thats funny, not scary...
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 03:17:30 pm »
They're both good.  I like to see developers questioning decisions, shows that they're thinking.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 03:19:54 pm »
Whoo? Someone isn't allowed to have questions in unsure areas about an Operating system when it is indeed part of an open source project and maybe was left to those who know more in that area instead of making stupid assumptions?
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline mynameistmp

• Hi! I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 03:51:25 pm »
Theo has been discredited before. I used to follow his drawn out debates with the PAX team. He was pretty flustered about grsecurity rolling out a solution to linux's executable stack vulnerabilities.

Claim: OpenBSD cannot protect against attacks using mprotect because it would violate POSIX, and OpenBSD does not violate POSIX.

> > We don't break anything that standards defacto standards require. (Theo de Raadt)
> You do break POSIX as pointed out above. (PaX Team)
> > False. Now go away. (Theo de Raadt)

Anyways, some more of the argument is archived here:
http://www.grsecurity.net/PaX-presentation_files/frame.htm (This link displays better in .pdf format)

On the other hand, if you've looked at any benchmarking comparing OS scalability in a number of categories (http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/), you'd see that OBSD did quite poorly (finished last out of all of the operating systems, actually), where Linux 2.6 finished FIRST out of all of the operating systems. OBSD of course had an argument for this:

I was asked by a few OpenBSD people why I'm even comparing them here, since "everyone knows" they don't scale well and their goal is security and not scalability.

Well... elements of that argument can be applied inversely for Linux in this situation. Linux has different goals than OBSD. If Linux users shouldn't be hounding OBSD developers about their lacking scalability, why do Linux developers catch heat for their rapid development cycle ? Also, If Linux code is so shotty, how is it that the benchmark results for scalability performance for it are significantly better than OBSD (OBSD developers don't deny the results of the benchmark) ? Linux out-performed OBSD in every category. Security is not the only requisite for quality software.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 04:09:24 pm by mynameistmp »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 04:25:15 pm »
I always enjoy reading your posts, tmp. Thanks.

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 06:18:42 pm »
Note to those who think I'm going to completely switch from Linux to *BSD: I'm not. I wouldn't give FreeBSD a second try as I really didn't like the way it was put together.

Slackware/OpenBSD for life.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.